PDA

View Full Version : I got my Mom and Me!!!

mommyj
10-23-2003, 03:52 PM
I got my Mom and Me pouch last week and I love it so far! I got a black one with silver trim, and it looks really good with all of my clothes. DS loves it too. He snuggled in it and fell asleep right away. I really like the way the shoulder is a bit slimmer. It makes it easier to maneuver while out shopping.
I had it shipped to Arizona, where I was visiting my parents, and it was comfortable even in the heat. I had borught my Zolo and Rebozo as well (I didn't bring my KKAFP, because I knew it would be too hot), but I ended up only using my MAMC pouch.
Anyway, I just wanted to post a little 1 week review. If my opinion changes later, I'll be sure to send in an update.
Also, I wanted to say that Jen has really good customer service. I sent her a ton of questions before ordering, and she was really patient and helpful.

megulis
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Pictures please! I should be getting mine next week! I'm so excited; I reload the order status page at least every three hours or less corresponding to my bf schedule.

Great to hear you like it!

mommyj
10-23-2003, 05:44 PM
I did the same thing until she posted the date mine would ship. It's worth the wait! I didn't take any pictures, but I might if I have time in the next few days.
What color did you order?

megulis
10-24-2003, 05:02 AM
I got the natural. I got the one with the different colored trim.

I am a little worried though. On the Babywearing board on Yahoo! most if not all people seem to prefer the KKAFP. Please give me assurance.

mommyj
10-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm sure you'll love your MAMC pouch. The hemp is nice because it's a bit cooler, so you can wear the pouch even when it's warm out. That's especially true of a light color like the natural. Also, I wouldn't worry about more people preferring the KKAFP. I have both, and I like both of them even though they're slightly different. As long as you and your baby are comfortable, that's all that matters. KWIM. I think it's a matter of finding what works for you. I'd read a bunch of positive reviews of the OTSBH before ds was born, so I bought one and HATED it.
Also, if you really don't like your pouch you can always return it, but my guess is you'll love it!

megulis
10-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your reassurance. :) I am glad you like both. I think I like the design of the MnM better. I might be wrong, but I like the two row snap of the MnM to the one row snaps of the AFP.

What ring slings do you have?

egoldber
10-24-2003, 09:03 PM
I got to look at one of these last week, and I thought it was a very nice sling. I don't think you'll be disappointed. But it is true that a carrier that works for one person may not work for you.

HTH,

mommyj
10-25-2003, 10:49 AM
The only ring sling I have is a silk Zolo. I decided to splurge, and I'm glad I did. The fabric is gorgeous and it's a really comfortable sling.

Calmegja
10-25-2003, 03:06 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but the hemp fleece weave is a tighter weave than than the fleece weave of the AFP. In theory, polyester fleece would actually be more breathable than hemp fleece.

So, whatever design suits you the best is what's paramount, but as far as saying that hemp fleece will be cooler than polyester fleece, I think, because of that fabric composition, that's probably a little misleading.

Remember, athletes use polyester fleece for it's wicking and coolness properties, whereas hemp fleece is sweatshirt fleece, which is used to keep heat in. Also, polyester fleece has more give in it than hemp fleece, and there is some question about the fabric's ability to rebound repeatedly.

There are times where babywearing is a hot proposition, no matter what the materials/composition of the sling are. Any time you've got two bodies attached, there's going to be heat generated.

Where I'm using a mesh sling or a fleece sling, when it's 95 degrees out, we're both going to sweat, thanks to basic human physiology. I might sweat more in a fleece sling, but we're going to be hot, wither way.

All right, off of box, back to your regularly scheduled programming. It absolutely comes down to the sling that's right for you, and the design that works the best for you, but I don't think it's a fair factor to use the heat factor between the pouches, because I think there isn't the advantage to hemp fleece that's being bandied about.

mommyj
10-25-2003, 07:36 PM
My statement that hemp is cooler is based on my own experiences with both fabrics, and not on which one is theoretically more breathable. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone; I was merely stating my opinion based on how hot/cool my baby and I are in both pouches. I'm not interested in becoming involved in the whole pouch debate that keeps coming up on the boards. I have both, and I like them both.

Calmegja
10-25-2003, 09:43 PM
No,no, no...I wasn't saying you were deliberately misleading people, seriously, that wasn't my intention. Please don't think that's what I was saying.

I just meant to say that I hear it being touted as the advantage, and it's not an accurate description. I don't know where the info that it would be cooler is originating from, I'm just saying that I think it's not an accurate claim, and there is a sound basis to make that claim upon. I'm not a fabricologist, as I have said before, but in reading up on the properties of both fabrics, there is a problem with stating that the properties of hemp fleece make it a cooler fabric than polyester fleece, wherever it's coming from.

I definitely am not trying to start a pouch debate. I stand very firm on my opinion on that, and everyone knows it.... ;-) The best pouch for a person is one where it all comes together for the wearer and the baby.

I'm just on more of my facts tracker thing here, not debating which is a better idea.... ;-)

liya
10-26-2003, 04:37 PM
For everyone who asked about HEMP IN HOT WEATHER...I find it much cooler than fleece. I love my M&MC pouch i will post pictures once i send them to Jen. She was amazing i got the pouch with all the powers..LOL backrail and extra snaps cause of the weight loss and it FITS great..For the first time i feel i can carry my son and i dont get sore and i dont get HOT!!! I got the periwinkle with the marigold trim and its absolutely gorgeous....IM NOW HOOKED ON POUCHES..LOL Im looking into the cozy now as well....

Like i really needed another thing to get hooked on..LOL

megulis
10-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Linda, you are awesome!!! Makes me feel so much better. I think mine should be in the mail soon. I also bought some microfleece from Joann's on sale to make the pouch the "right" way. I made all mine till now stretch lengthwise instead of widthwise.

I also am getting a couple of custom made ring slings from Rev. Jan. I know it is risky to get a couple when I don't even know if I'd like ring slings, but I just love pouches. I would think I would fall in love with these also.

If I like these, I am already planning on getting a solarveil, cotton interlocks, maybe a zolo, and maybe an ergo. Of course, I haven't told my husband yet! * chuckle*

Please do post some pics!!

liya
10-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Heres a really really dark picture we toook tonight but tommorow im going to take a better picture of it and send it to Jen....You cant even tell i have hair its soo dark..LOL here you go..Mind you i just put the first thing i had on hand went outside and took the picture so dont think im looking all pretty and made up...LOL

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1035.txt

egoldber
10-26-2003, 08:55 PM
What are you talking about! You look great! And Ari is such a cutie!!! And that sling is just to die for! What beautiful colors! I have to say thats one thing that gets me about polarfleece slings, I'm just not that excited about any of the colors....

liya
10-26-2003, 10:37 PM
i look like crap...LOL Thank you so much for the compliment though...The color IS to die for...Her job is amazing...Lori do you hear the periwinkle calling!!!??? LOL ;) Stop fighting the temptation!!!

mommyj
10-26-2003, 10:38 PM
What an adorable picture! All 3 of you look great (you, baby, and pouch). I love the color.

megulis
10-27-2003, 12:39 AM
That's awesome! I love that you aren't dressed up. I always wear overalls too! :) What size did you get, and, if you don't mind, what are your measurements?

Momof3Labs
10-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Linda, you don't look like crap, and Ari is getting cuter and cuter!

Oh, yes, I hear the periwinkle calling!! But I have a pouch on the way that I got from Zen, so gotta try that first. I did use my M&MC pouch the other day and thought that it would be nice to have the new design with the slimmer shoulder... in periwinkle...

megulis
10-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Do you find it hard to keep the silk nice looking?

parkersmama
10-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Linda,
*Love* the pouch! It's beautiful. I hear one calling my name (but, sadly, not periwinkle...for some reason I'm feeling a call toward a red color...hmmm). AND, I'm so excited to see a picture of you and finally put a face with your name! The picture is great-you ertainly look nice for looking like "crap" ;) !

megulis
10-27-2003, 11:12 PM
What kind of pouch are you getting from Zen?

lizamann
10-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Very nice!! That Ari is a cutie!!

McQ
10-28-2003, 08:17 AM
The new jungle red color on the site looks great. Especially with the black trim. Go for it Denise!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

megulis
10-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Try the "Red Wine with Painted Desert Thread
If you want a more Navajo look, go for this, it is incredibly stunning and will receive tan snaps to match!"

Looks nice. So many choices with the varigated trim on the site now also!

megulis
10-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Nevermind...