PDA

View Full Version : Another game of pick-a-sling...

KathyO
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi there sling gurus and aficionadoes - I have a pair of friends who are expecting. They're interested in babywearing, particularly in the first six months or so, but not likely to be comfortable with something that has a steep learning curve. They also live in southern California, so ideally it'd be in a fairly cool fabric.

She's 5'2" and slender; he's 6'2" and broad in the shoulders and chest, although not heavyset. Is there a sling out there that is reasonably adjustable across that kind of size difference, reasonably easy to learn, and good for the newborn-on-up stage? Recommendations?

Thanks!!

KathyO

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 06:30 PM
the only thing adjustable over that range would be a ring sling, but then the tail would hang to her knees.

I think they should each get a pouch sling in their size. I would say a fleece pouch, but not in southern California.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
10-24-2003, 06:45 PM
I have read that the adjustable pouches can do that range, but the fleece pouch may not work in that climate.

The Wilkinet is a Bjorn like carrier that is supposed to be far superior.

http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/

As far as ring slings go, I personally prefer the Maya Wrap. The Zolo sling is also a very nice sling, but perhaps a bit pricey for some. Some consider the Zolo to be THE ring sling, but others (including me) find other ring slings just as comfy. The Maya fabric would work really well for them in that climate.

Another to consider would be a sling from TaylorMadeTreasures.com. She has come in a light cotton that are supposed to be very nice.

HTH,

mom2kandj
10-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Dcclerk and ZenBliss are our resident SoCal sling gurus! I'm pretty sure the sling/carrier roadshow is making an appearance at the LA Zoo in early November at our next get together. Dcclerk was sporting the Wilkinet at Disneyland and looked totally comfy. While not technically a sling, I think it is a good compromise for mom and dad. When Dcclerk did the demo on putting it on, it looked like it took some practice, but easy enough after a few tries. I liked that her DS was supported better than he would be in a Bjorn. (I've got a Bjorn and liked it a lot, but thought that extended use might put too much pressure on the baby's hips.) HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)