PDA

View Full Version : Help! Getting sore back with new KKAFP and my newborn!

kkb99
10-26-2003, 03:17 PM
I am short- 5 ft 1 in, but big busted and overweight (so not a petite 5 ft 1 in). Part of the big bust and weight is due to the fact that I am just 2 weeks post partum, though not all of it! I ordered a large KKAFP, because my bust measurement fell in that range and I think it will when my body is back to "normal" too. I have been using it the past week for my newborn, and have been getting a lower back ache. I have tightened it up, now to the tightest position, thinking maybe I was carrying her too low (causing the back ache)- but it is tough getting it on (though I did it) since it is so snug in that position. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or what I can change? Am I just doomed to not be a carrier mom?? Where should the baby lie in relation to me? In this tightest position, her lowest point is at my belly button.

Thanks for any input- I want so much to love this sling! BTW- baby does love it!

Kristen

Momof3Labs
10-26-2003, 04:34 PM
It sounds like the sling is too big for you. Can you post a photo with you wearing the sling and your baby?

egoldber
10-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Not to pry or anything, but how large busted? I am also 5'1" and I swam in a large KKAFP that I tried on once. (I'm a 38 C/D bust and not slim.) A medium would probably work well for you. I'm sure Tanya would let you exchange it.

And the fleece sling should be snug when you put it on, or else the baby will be too low when she is in the sling. And you want one that will allow you to continue to tighten it as your baby gets larger and heavier and stretches the sling more.

HTH,

megulis
10-26-2003, 08:16 PM
I don't have a KK, but I am 5'1 133lbs 38C, and I made a fleece pouch with 22.5" lengthwise for the longside and 20" for the shortside. It works out well except I need to make another one because I made the stretch go lengthwise instead of widthwise.

daisymommy
10-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I agree with Beth. If you have a newborn in the cradle position (lying down), she should be above your belly button, putting her at your center of gravity. You want her to lie where she woudl naturally be in your arms. Woudl you carry her down by your belly button? Nope! I would definetly try to exchange it for a medium. You might also want to try the upright tummy-to-tummy position, with baby's feet tucked in. This may "center her" in line with your body better, and feel better on your back. Good luck! I think everyone can be a sling mamma!

miki
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
I was having the same problem with pain in the back. I contacted Tanya and she went over my measurements to make sure I had the right size and gave me some suggestions via email and included various photos of proper positioning. She also put me in touch with someone who lives in my area who was nice enough to meet with me and give me more pointers which were really helpful. You might ask Tanya if she can see if there is anyone near you who has experience with a pouch.

ginamlee
10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I have a properly fitting KKAFP. My daughter is one month old and just now approaching 8 lbs. We use the tummy to tummy position the most and occasionally the cradle position.

Yesterday, I found myself in excruciating pain and went to the doctor. She suspected pleuresy (which wouldn't show on an xray) but ordered a chest xray anyway. Chest xray was fine.

I was in so much pain last night that the doctor had me take a narcotic and I slept sitting up. DH had to stay home from work today because I can't lift the baby.

I went to a very experienced massage therapist and he worked on the painful area for almost 2 hours. I was in tears. (I usually have a very high pain tolerance and only used Tylenol with my c-section; and only for 2 days.)

Even though the KKAFP is properly positioned and fitting, it appears to be culprit. I likely have a pinched nerve and muscles on the side of my body where the sling is over my shoulder and arm are in spasm. The main source of the trouble seems to be middle back near my spine and it has radiated all over. I can't breathe without severe pain.

The therapist was not able to relieve my pain and I will have to go again tomorrow.

My doctor has me on narcotics and muscle relaxers and it is barely touching the pain. She indicated that she may have to put me in the hospital to receive IV morphine.

I am so distrought because I love the pouch and Autumn loves it even more. But, it appears that my body is not cut out for baby wearing. (Although I really don't want to give up...even though this is the most pain I have been in in my entire life - and I've had at least a dozen surgeries, including a splenectomy which resulted being cut right down the middle from breast bone to pubic bone.)

If anyone wants to give advise, I'm listening.

Momof3Labs
10-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Gina, please see a chiropractor!! My chiropractor is the only person I'd trust with a pain like you describe (and I have entrusted that kind of pain to him before). The only catch is that the relief isn't immediate - once you get an adjustment, it takes a day or two for the muscles to relax, but if you go to a good chiropractor, you WILL feel better soon! Much sooner than if you just go to your doctor.

Hang in there!!