PDA

View Full Version : Sling Recommendations

jvcrabb
10-26-2003, 09:31 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child in December. We are considering a sling carrier but need some help weeding through the different models. We are going to pass on the Bjorn carrier (my brother just had his first child 10 months ago and he will let us borrow theirs as needed, it is our job to find a decent sling). Our questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone give us some feedback on the New Native Carrier?
2. My wife is 5'6" 115 lbs (pre baby) :) I am 5'10" 150 lbs, Can we use the same sling?
3. Are we overlooking other types of carriers?

OK I think that is a start :)

We appreciate the advice!

Thanks,

John

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
You could both use the same adjustable sling, but not something like the New Native. I have the New Native and liked it just fine, but you have to be sure it fits you. If you happen to be between sizes, you will hate it.

What I like about the New Native:

it is just stretchy enough to be comfy for baby

it is sleek and doesn't catch on my clothes, it slides a bit, if you know what I mean. So I can slide it to the side or front without twisting my shirt all up.

It folds up very small to keep in the diaper bag.

It is easy to use, with almost no learning curve at all.

What I don't like about the New Native:
It is not adjustable, so I and my husband could not share.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

megulis
10-26-2003, 10:13 PM
I would recommend making a pouch sling before investing. I am no sewing expert, but I made mine feeling that I wanted to make sure I'd like it before buying one. I tested it on my cats first but have been using it daily with ds. I also think pouches are easier to learn than ring slings though I have yet to try any ring slings. Right now I have a Mom and Me Creations Hemp Pouch coming and purchased two ring slings from Rev. Jan. Rev. Jan was a good choice for me because her slings at the cheapest are $20--a good deal!

daisymommy
10-26-2003, 11:03 PM
I would get a Kanagaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop_pouches_custom.shtml#, or a Mom and Me Creations Adjustable Hemp Fleece Pouch http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/peainpod.html . If you are somewhere where it gets quite cold in the fall and winter, I would get a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch. If you are somewhere warmer, go with the Mom and Me hemp pouch, and get the extra rails added on. You'll be glad you did when your baby is older and needs the extra padding on his/her legs in the hip carry position.

Both of these slings are of nearly the same design. The main differences are weight of fabric (hemp fleece is cooler than polar fleece in the Kanagaroo Korner version), the Mom and Me pouch has a slimer shoulder design, and the option of padded leg rails. Both are the easiest type of slings to wear that you can find. Honestly, I've tried them all! The hardest part is choosing a color!

And I think you could get a medium and both wear the same one. The KK fleece pouch says a medium is for people weighing 110-180 lbs. I would ask the sling makers at both places for their opinion on this though. Good luck!