PDA

View Full Version : Best ring-sling position for 11 week old?

sadie427
10-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Hello--I have an Over-the-shoulder-baby holder that I used quite easily when Sammy was a newborn, in the cradle hold position. He really liked it, and I found it pretty comfortable. I stopped using it and tried again recently, and he seems too long to be carried that way. Also now he likes to see out when he's carried (he faces forward in the Bjorn, and loves it, and will still fall asleep that way if he's tired).

So I tried him in some different positions I found on the web but have had no luck so far. I tried the "kangaroo carry" where he sits cross-legged facing forward, but there seemed to be extra fabric, and he would sort of pendulum outward. Then I tried him with his head up toward the rings, but he seemed kind of twisted up and uncomfortable and started crying. He has learned to straighten his legs when they're bent, which could be a problem with either position--especially when he's cross-legged, it seems like he wants to try to stand up.

I know he has not outgrown the sling, as they are supposed to be good up to toddler age, so I must be doing something wrong. Next time I see a mom with a sling I will stop her and ask for suggestions, but I rarely ever do (Chicago does not seem to be a hotbed of babywearing, people even think a Bjorn is a nifty, novel contraption!). I've thought about just buying a pouch sling, but I'd like to try to make this one work. Thanks!

annex
10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
I have the same sling, and around that age (or maybe a little later) started using the kangaroo carry and kept using it until about 6 months when I switched her over to her hip carry. I think the front padding kept her from tipping outward in kangaroo carry - I would usually have it cinched tight about armpit level. Which meant the back padding ended up further down her back and not terribly tight, but not so low or loose that she could fall out backwards. The arm on the side away from the rings was free to go out, the other usually ended up a bit more pinned inside.

Hope this helps,
Anne

sadie427
10-28-2003, 09:20 PM
When you say "cinched tight about armpit level," you mean the baby's armpit, not yours, right? :-) I don't seem to be able to get it tight. They couldn't fall out backwards, because your chest is there, right? But he was tipping forward, pulling the whole material of the sling with him. I'll try again tomorrow, thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-28-2003, 10:40 PM
it sounds like the top rail is not tight enough against him, and the whole sling is not tight enough to you.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

annex
10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Baby's armpit level, yes.

upikabu
10-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi there,

Where are you in Chicago? I live in River North and have an OTSBH too, and I've used it in the kangaroo carry position since DS was less than 2 months (he's 5 months now). I think it helps to have the front padding pulled up until it's situated somewhere between his chest and below his chin, and have the back padding completely (and smoothly) behind his back. The OTSBH is not as easy for this position as the open-tail ring slings (Maya, etc.) because you can't adjust the front rail separately (which helps for secure kangaroo carry position), but once you get the baby properly situated, it's pretty comfortable.

HTH,
-Paulus
Dad to Samuel (Sammy =)), 5 months