PDA

View Full Version : What Zolo color do I pick???? + other zolo questions.

Grace_underfire
10-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Hi there!

My little guy is 2 weeks old and with DH going back to work soon I need to get a sling/carrier.

I was tempted to buy the bjorn but reading the reviews and taking into account that I have a big baby 9 lbs at birth - 10.2 at two weeks I better get a zolo which will be more versatile. Right? I am getting cotton because I am in tx and they say the silk woudl be too hot for texas summers. :(

Anyway now I am trying to decide what color of the cotton zolos to get. I am debating between the toile, the natural and perhaps the red? I want it to go with everything. I wear a lot of black but when I emailed Darien she said to stay away from black for the heat issue and the spit issue :)

What colors did you get? are you happy with your zolo?

Hope I know how to use it once it arrives. Also I am not sure what size to get whether the small or medium. I seem to be right in between them. I am 5 4 and a 34 or 36 D.

justlearning
10-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Have you already requested free fabric swatches from her? If not, I'd recommend doing so. I got samples of the black, red, and natural color and ended up choosing natural because it was so much softer feeling and also was the most lightweight of them. I have to admit, though, that now that I have the natural color, I think it's rather boring and sometimes wish I had gotten a different color (although the soft fabric makes using the sling a breeze). I read that the red can sometimes bleed, though, so that's something to keep in mind as well. If you want the coolest for summer, the natural would probably be your best bet, in my opinion.

kensjen
10-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Well, I love my zolos!! Yes, that is plural, LOL! I have a silk one and then the toile. I love the toile. It is gorgeous, and yet still plain enough that is pretty much goes with anything. It is a little more "rigid" than the cotton ones, almost like a canvas or thin denim. But I like it, and I don't think it would be that much warmer. The silk is gorgeous too, I have the blue dragon. I don't use it as much, it is just too pretty I guess! LOL

Definitely have her send the fabric swatches, she got mine in the mail right away. That way you can feel the difference in the toile. Hope you like it, I know I do!!

I'd say a medium would be good, I'm about an inch taller than you and that is what I got. It is a good fit, and I have some "play" left in it, which is good for winter sweaters, etc.

Good luck, you will LOVE this sling!!!!

jade729
10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
My baby isn't born yet, but I just recently purchased a Zolo in natural. I wanted something neutral and I am very happy with the color. I had thought about getting the black, but decided not to in case it shows a lot of lint or spit up. When I first received my sling I practiced some of the positions with a doll and I found it was very easy to put on and adjust. If you are unsure of which size to get, you should definitely call or email Darien. I wasn't sure if I needed a medium or large and Darien told me to try the medium and it seems to be the right size. She told me I could exchange it for a different size after my baby is born if the sling doesn't fit.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-29-2003, 11:35 PM
I have the red cotton one and I love it. I have not heard that the red Zolo bleeds, in fact I have heard just the opposite.

It's a gorgeous red. Here is a pic of it:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35623f02516

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

susabusa
10-30-2003, 03:38 AM
I have several Zolos. I love the toile! It is a great weight fabric. It is very lightweight and super easy to adjust. I love that there is a right side and wrong side (but both are beautiful) because it is super easy to tell which side of the fabric is inside/outside. I have been in a hurry and not paying much attention to what I'm doing and realize that I've got the sling twisted somewhere and the fabric is inside out. I also love the sage and the plum. The red/scarlet does not bleed that I am aware of. I am 5'2" and during pregnancy/nursing a 36 D as well. The small is almost too long on me. I had a silk made xtra small and prefer that length. There is 4 inches of difference in the length of each size. I would think that you will be happier with a small. The medium will have a longer tail and it may end up hitting your leg when you walk-- not a big deal unless you have keys/cellphone in the pocket and it bumps your leg.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know if you need any other help. There are a couple of distributors in the Texas, so maybe there is one in your area that could meet you to let you try some on.

Stephanie

rorycam
10-30-2003, 07:48 AM
What a beautiful sling, and beautiful baby! Logan looks like a happy camper in it. That shade of red is gorgeous.

Rory
mama-to-be to William Walker or Scarlett Jane, EDD 3-3-04

sugarsnappea
10-30-2003, 08:04 AM
I too, wanted to get a red cotton zolo. I was worried about my black labs' hair being all over it, so I opted for the black. I live in the midwest so it is colder here than where you are. I am very happy with the black as it matches everything. I only used it w/my toddler so the spit-up issue hasn't effected us yet. :)

egoldber
10-30-2003, 12:03 PM
I have a toile Zolo. I am 5'1", a 38 C/D and a small is almost too long on me. I swam in a medium. I think they are generously sized.

I can attest that Karen's red sling is just as gorgeous in person! But in retrospect, I wish I had gotten the natural sling. I find the toile fabric (which is a medium weight twill), to be just a little too heavy for my taste. Definitely order swatches!

susabusa
10-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Right from the website: 100% cotton twill. Lightweight - similar to organic natural.

And in an email from Darien: "toile, rose stripe, and organic natural weights are almost identical. I have a hard time telling the difference in weight - they are that close. Maybe natural is 7 oz and toile is 7.5 oz. The main difference is the weaves. Toile and organic natural are twill - diagonal weave like denim. Rose stripe is canvas - square weave like sage. The surface of twill is a bit softer than canvas."

Stephanie

Grace_underfire
10-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I did not know that they had distributors in Texas other than Darien in Austin. I am in the Dallas area. Does anybody know of anybody here that could help me try one on?? That would be ideal. I will call Darien anyway and let her help me with the sizing. I might go with the small because I don't think I would like a very long tail.

I think I love the toile one but I will most likely go with the natural just because it is a bit more neutral to match everything and it is a tad softer. I am afraid that if I get the toile I will think it is too much. I don't know i am terrible. I almost want to order two and try them on and see which I want to keep. Isnt that awful. I can't never pick patterns or colors.

cchavez
10-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Email me and I will forward you the distributors email. She is in Irving. hth

egoldber
10-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Hmm. I admit that I have not seen the natural in the flesh, but I did get a swatch when I was deciding. It felt a little lighter than the toile to me. And the toile really does feel like a medium weight cotton twill to me. It may be the lightest weight she offers, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight cotton.

Obviously, just my 2 cents,