PDA

View Full Version : What would you suggest for a new sling wearer????

Tondi G
11-04-2003, 08:32 PM
DS was a Baby Bjorn baby and my Dh is very happy with that product... I on the other hand alwyas had lower back pain with the Bjorn after a while! SO this time around I would like to buy a sling. I don't know where to start??? HELP!

Zolo wear... probably cotton
KK fleece pouch or cotton (I live in So Calif. so I'm thinking fleec for a summer baby, due early June, might not be wise!!)
Mom and Me pouch

Any other suggestions on what I should look for??? I am hoping to be able to use it when the baby is a newborn and also while breast feeding.... sure would have come in handy with DS he nursed constantly in the beginning!)

Thanks a bunch ladies!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason(2) and #2 edd 6/6/04

toomanystrollers
11-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Tondi,
I really like my Zolo cotton. I've used it since Neve was 2 weeks old and just last week cruised around Disneyworld with her in it. The Zolo does takes some practice (for me about 2 weeks) to master. And it may sound silly, but I really love the zipped up pocket on the zolo - instant purse for me.

Now to confuse you some more :), I also used a cotton KK pouch through the summer. I tend to use the Zolo when I know she'll be in it for an extended period (shopping, playground, etc.) and I used the pouch more around the house or when she just wanted to be snuggled.

I've yet to manage breastfeeding in either one. I just take her out.

HTH

kensjen
11-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Well, I have all THREE of the products you mentioned, LOL!!

They are all great, and different. It depends on the wearer and the situation as to which is best. If I HAD to have only one of them, I guess it would be the zolo. Ring slings are very versatile. I love mine, and I used it within a week or two of Jonah's birth. It was great, he slept in it all the time, and I was able to get something done! And it's great now that he is starting to get heavy, he feels so light when he is in the sling.

The mom and me is also wonderful, you really need both. LOL!! We are enablers here! It is so comfortable, and DS just loves it too. While not as adjustable as a ring sling, it is adjustable and you can have extra rows of snaps added. There is a lot of "give" to it, you don't get the tight fit you can get with the zolo. But I am really liking this pouch.

The KKAFP is good too, but you are right, not good in CA. I don't have the cotton one, and I have read some mixed reviews on it. Maybe someone who has one can give you a better idea.

You will have a hard time BF in any of these until your baby has more head control. I personally never had much luck BF in any sling. It's easier to take him out, although if you can do it, it would be nice and discreet. Once your baby is old enough to self serve, LOL, you should be able to BF in the sling.

Well, not sure if I helped! hehe Let me know if you have any questions. If I know exactly what you like/dislike etc, I may be able to tell you which one would be better for you. You can't go wrong with any of them.

megulis
11-05-2003, 12:49 AM
If you don't want to invest the money for Zolo, I would suggest Rev. Jan's ring sling. I don't only like the price but also the construction. You can also ask her to serge the sides and add pockets to the ring sling similar to the construction of a Zolo. This is the website:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html

I believe she can also make pouch slings.

I have a Mom and Me pouch and enjoy it very much. I think I will enjoy the adjustability of the Ring Sling once I get used to it. I also want to try out a Kozy Carrier once my son gets older.

mom2kandj
11-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Tondi -

You should drop Zen a note! I know that she has an assortment of cool stuff to play with and is always willing to demonstrate! Also, Dcclerk has a Wilkinet(similar type of carrier to the Bjorn, but much more supportive) that she showed off at the Disneyland get together! Ddowning has a silk Zolo, too! Geez! We just have to get our act together so that you can try on some slings! :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

megulis
11-05-2003, 01:52 AM
I wish there were nice ladies in Albany, NY to show me how to use my sling. I still need to check out LLL. Oh well.

hellbennt
11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
hi there,
i have a KKACP and really love it! my ds really loves it, too! i'm in miami, so the weather was a factor. i'm intimidated by the whole 'ring sling thing' & i'm like megulus in that i wish there were some of you experts here in south flahridduh to teach me:) however, i loved my KKACP so much & my husband kept using mine, which is too small for him (the shoulder part is up tight against his neck!),so i ordered him his own (!) and, while i was at it, i ordered a KK solerveil, too:)
jeesh, this & the yahoo board are dangerous;)
so, now i have a solerveil that i need to figure out... but a mom w/ a maya gave me a quick minute of her time & i just have to get brave & experiment...

~laura in miami
Mommy to Jonah 7/17/03

Dcclerk
11-06-2003, 11:34 AM
I second Rose's suggestion! Of course, I'm always volunteering Zen to show off her products... ;) I'm also happy to show off mine, but really they aren't as good as Zen's.

Tondi, I forget where you live in SoCal but a fleece sling might work for you. I have a Mom and Me prototype which I like (but would like even better if I had one of the new and improved ones). It is super-comfy and a really good mid-weight, year-round temperature sling. That being said, I probably use my fleece sling more often now and imagine that I will for the next 4-5 months or so. I live on the coast and I really feel like I need the fleece to keep DS warm. DS honestly cheers when I put the fleece one on! I swear to you it gets bone-chilling-ly cold in my neighborhood. (Go ahead and laugh non-Californians:)) And, of course, if you are thinking of a Bjorn alternative, the Wilkinet is fabulous. We used it to go hiking this weekend and DS and DH were totally happy with it.