PDA

View Full Version : In love with my Mom and Me... and a babywearing "epiphany" (just had to sha...

quikeye
11-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi all, I've been reading (lurking!) for quite a while here and on other "babywearing" boards, and I though I haven't posted yet I had to share... I just received my "pea in a pod" pouch from Jen @ Mom and Me Creations and I couldn't be happier. I ordered the whole thing-- back padded rail, extra snaps (wishful thinking about getting back to prepreg weight!) in maroon with one of her new multi-threads. It couldn't be more perfect for me, and Jen was soooo helpful! I think we exchanged at LEAST 15-20 emails with me vacillating on colours, threads, snap colours, sizing... But, I got *exactly* what I wanted! I fell in love with the maroon on her site since it has more of a bluish undertone (as opposed to the brighter reds which have a yellowish undertone-- at least on my monitor), and knew it would be perfect. The darker, bluish tone is brought out even more by the thread too-- "midnight magic": blue, purple & silver. Because of my asian heritage, I can't wear reds with a yellowish cast to them, and this maroon looks perfect, just like I needed and wanted. It really is a stylish, bold colour that both dh & i love (he's one of those who can't envision a boy in anything pink or "girly", but he really has surprised me with his excitement about the pouch and its colour/threading). We're both kinda urban-hippie parents-in-waiting (from Berkeley, CA-- does that tell you anything?) and this is so perfect for us and our personal style.

What's so funny is I'm still expecting my 1st (28 weeks and counting!) and I'm in love with the pouch even before DS has arrived! I think it is because I finally *get* the idea of babywearing, even before ds has arrived. I already own 2 other pouches (which i like for different reasons, but neither are adjustable), but neither has given me the sense of actually "wearing" a baby, or being a piece of clothing that will allow me to "wear" ds (in the way I "wear" shirts and such). I put on my MnM and I can just see ds cuddled up high, just like I would hold him with my own arms... And I know that with this pouch, I won't have to always have a hand around him (for my sense of security, I'm a bit of a "nervous nelly" by nature) and I feel how sturdy the pouch is and how closely he will be held to my body. Just putting it on makes me feel absolutely confident about how closely ds will be held to me, and how securely-- I love the tight-fitting feel I can get by adjusting the pouch to *my* size. I've been wearing the pouch around the house today (silly, I know with no baby to put inside! I had even eyed the cat for a test subject, but I think she'd kill me for trying!), and I just have this feeling of happiness welling up inside me by really *understanding" what this babywearing is about. My other pouches are beautiful but hang too low for me to get this feeling of tightness and security... They're nice for other reasons, but the MnM has really solidified the whole idea of babywearing and "slinging" for me. I knew I couldn't be more excited about ds' arrival, but just play-wearing the pouch around the house makes me feel more confident about his impending arrival (and has me sneaking lots of looks at myself in the mirror too, perhaps part of the love I have for this pouch is the colour and the fabric and how it makes me feel b/c it's something *I* chose in every aspect-- I've never had a custom-made ANYTHING and this is fabulous!). I feel like I'll be better prepared (a god-send feeling for a new mom-in-waiting with no previous experience with kids in the least) by being able to hold him all the time, which I have come to realize is such a luxury and one I am so thankful I have been able to recognize this early in my "parenting" experience. I'm so happy to have found this board and others like it-- I used to covet strollers for their innumerable "conveniences," but after wearing this pouch for less than a day, I can't imagine wanting ds out of my arms if he doesn't have to be.

Maybe all of this is old hat to you pros (moms and dads) out there, but to me this is all a real revelation. Who knew "babywearing" meant something (i had just thought it was a simple phrase, kwim)? And could be such a luxury!! I can't think of a better word to describe this feeling and ability to carry baby with me all the time, even if I don't always have a free hand. I just had to share b/c I've been lurking so long and really feel that all of the questions and answers I've read about babywearing have led me to an excellent choice in my MnM (and dh is already bugging me to order another MnM-- "his" pouch! Can you believe it?!)

Thanks all, I just had to share my epiphany w/ all of you guys, and maybe some new mom-in-waiting (or dad!) will give a pouch a try if they've just been thinking about it. I'm so glad I took the plunge!

Aija
edd 2/3/04 (DS!)

PS, I was going to take & post pics, but maybe it will be silly to have a pouch pic sans baby? :)

votre_ami03
11-06-2003, 05:56 PM
I am so jealous, I just ordered mine this morning, so I will have some time b/f it arrives. :( Congrat's on your pouch & the upcoming baby! Best wishes!

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

Kimberly H
11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Aija,

Your post was very touching. It brought back all of those feelings I'd get when putting tiny baby clothes in the dresser, getting ready for my sons, and now my daughter.

Please go ahead and post a pic of you in your very special pouch. I'd love to see it!

lizamann
11-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Very touching post! I'd love to see pictures!

houseof3boys
11-06-2003, 09:59 PM
I think it would be cute to see a pic sans baby. You wrote such a sweet post about the whole thing I think you should commemorate with a picture too!

mommyj
11-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Please post pictures! Your post reminded me of when I was pregnant. I put my 14 lb dog in some of the carriers I ordered to try them out. He loved it.
Anyway, I love your description of babywearing. It really is like you describe it. My DS will be 4 months old next week, and is already almost 20 lbs, and I still wear him all the time. I just got a Mom-and-Me last month, and it is the carrier I use most often now. It's great for around the house and for going out.
I know you will love it, and I know you'll love wearing your baby as much as you think you will.
Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!!

megulis
11-07-2003, 03:05 AM
If you feel awkward posting a pic sans baby, post a pic with a cat. My first pouch experiences were with my two cats. Depending on your cat's temperament, s/he might not mind! I would have your pouch a bit on the looser side though! ;)

quikeye
11-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks all for the kind words & thoughts... :)

Finally got to take pics (DH was already taking "belly" pics to send to family, why not?) :) 29 weeks, so I'm filling it out pretty well!

The flash on the camera & the lights overhead seem to make the pouch's colour look different that in real life-- I'll post a pic of the colour/stitching only next...

quikeye
11-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Now for a better shot of the colour, sans flash. The flash really washes it out... And here, you can see the new thread (midnight magic) in a little more detail. My ati remote is also in the pic, to balance out the colour & give an idea of a "true" red (see the "ati" on the remote-- it's really red). The pouch looks a little lighter than the pic, since there's no flash, but you get the idea of the colour & the thread pretty well.

zen_bliss
11-10-2003, 04:24 AM
thank you so much for coming out of 'lurk' mode and writing that touching post. my 14 lb dogs tried out the carriers i bought in preparation for the baby :) and the pouch is gorgeous on you. gee i thought i didn't like variegated stitching but wow! you have a great eye for color. congratulations on your pregnancy and we are glad to have you here!

megulis
11-10-2003, 04:50 AM
It's a beautiful color. I am thinking of getting a second MnM pouch at some time and was wondering which color you got. I have a neutral right now, and I know it will be a magnet for stains.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-10-2003, 01:30 PM
oh that is beautiful. I don't need another sling! I've moved on to obsess about diapers now, I have all the slings I need. But that is so pretty! I'll probably get a lavender one with Spring Flowers thread. Or maybe Ocean Moondance.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mommyj
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks for posting pics! Your sling is gorgeous!

deborah_r
11-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Zen,

Love your new avatar!!!

lizamann
11-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Very nice! I too usually don't like varigated thread, but I'm thinking that it's really a Mom n me trademark. It looks so nice! I have been wanting one lately just because of the nice color combos. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and I hope to see you here often.

brittone2
11-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Aija-
I love your sling!! I'm just getting ready to order (due Feb. 21st also w/ a boy) and was originally leaning toward a KKAFP but now I"m thinking about a Mom N me since it is supposedly cooler. I love the color combination you chose! I think that is such a hard decision, but yours came out gorgeous!

I love the maroon. Can you tell me...would you say it is pinkish at all in real life or is it close to a true Maroon? For example, would you say a man could wear the color or is it a bit more pink/wine in undertone? Just curious!! I'm trying to compare the various colors that she has posted and I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

Congrats again on your gorgeous pouch and for being so excited about babywearing!! I am too:)

Beth

Momof3Labs
11-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Beth, talk to Jen about the colors before you order - each batch that she dyes comes out a little different. I'm sure that she would send you a swatch before making up your sling.

brittone2
11-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks for that suggestion Lori!. It would be great if she'd mail me a swatch before designing the sling.

I just emailed her about sizing (after I thought I had it all figured out for the KK AFP, now I'm leaning toward the Mom And Me!!) and she said I'd probably do best in a custom sized xsmall/small. I appreciated that she was willing to work w/ me and suggest that when I gave her my measurements.

Is it worth it to get 2 rails? I'm totally confused about advantages/disadvantages of the rails. Any reason why I wouldn't like the rails?

thanks ladies,
Beth

mommyj
11-11-2003, 02:51 PM
I would go ahead and order both rails. It makes the pouch more gentle on their legs when carrying them with their legs dangling out. I got both rails, and I'm glad I did.

brittone2
11-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice! I've done some nosing around and it seems like there aren't any negatives to having both rails, so I'm going to do that. I'm hoping to place my order soon. I'm getting excited!! (I'm only 25 weeks pregnant, so I'm going to be looking for SOMETHING to carry around in my sling. I might have to go buy a watermelon or something to stick in there LOL;) I have two cats but neither likes to be held even though they are lap cats. I also have 2 large dogs, but they definitely wouldn't fit in there...although my 70 lb shep/border collie mix has anxiet problems and is on prozac...he'd probably benefit from the calming effects of "baby wearing." If I could fit him in a sling, I suspect he'd love it;)

lisaE
11-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi and Welcome!

I am also 28 weeks pregnant and just reading your post made me so excited for you. I hadn't thought about slings before, but I am going to go investigate the MNM slings now. I told another member here that I had to dig out one of my old Cabbage Patch Kids and make him test-drive the bassinet, stroller and carseat. In fact he has been riding around in the carseat in my husband's Jeep since Saturday. (I am paraniod that some well-meaning citizen is going to mistake him for a real baby and call the police!) So I totally understand you wanting to put a kitty in your sling. Thanks for posting- I really enjoyed reading it- your excitement really is contagious! Good luck and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Lisa
EDD 1-30-04

quikeye
02-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Hey all, just looking thru old threads and found this one :) I can't believe I've been slinging Kai for much more than a year now... This is probably my favorite forum, even though it gets less traffic, just because it epitomizes for me the feelings I posted above (those good feelings about carrying ds).

Thanks for letting me share!

ETA: 400th post too, ::wink::

npace19147
02-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Aija, I *totally* KWYM! I love carrying DD, when I use the stroller it is with great reluctance b/c I feel so separated from her!

Also, thanks for setting up all those threads - looks like it will be super helpful!