PDA

View Full Version : Sling sewing help

nohomama
11-06-2003, 11:20 PM
I've sewn both pocket and ring slings before. When someone posted about the lined pocket slings being sold on ebay several months ago, I decided that I'd like to make one.

I bought some lovely fabric a few days ago--a light weight, thin wail cordory with a pretty stitched vine embelishment and a 100% cotton flannel with a very simple floral pattern--and sat down today to sew the sling. What I've ended up with though is more like the world's most frustrating mobius strip.

In a nutshell, I basically made two pocket slings, put the right sides together, then sewed them together along either side leaving a gap so that I could turn the sling right-side-out. It's the turning it right-side-out that's the problem. As long as it's inside out, the sling looks like it should. When I turn it however, I end up with something that cannot function as a sling...it's open at what should be the top and bottom and sewn along the sides.

I'm not an incredibly advanced sewer but I've sewn a number of lined things before. Even if my method is flawed, I know that I'm at least on the right track.

Can someone tell me what I've done wrong? I can't imagine this but am I just not turning it correctly? HELP!!! I'm so frustrated by this that I've been growling all evening and whenever I do Lola asks, "Mama frustrated?" She knows me so well.

mom2kandj
11-07-2003, 02:10 AM
OMIGOD! You did the same thing I did, except I got mad and ditched it! I ended up making an unlined pocket sling and the "experiment" sits in my sewing pile! Good luck! No help here! :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-07-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm not a sew-er, but I am familiar with mobius strips. :) Just thinking logically here . . . I think what you will have to do is sew them together so that you have a long tube and then turn them rightside out and sew up the seam to complete the circle. Make sense?

I'm picturing a seam at the end that looks like the seam down the leg of jeans. Or something like that.

When Beth gets back from Mickey Mouse, she'll know what to do.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
11-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Karen's right :) I am so sorry that you are are frustrated with your project! It takes all teh fun out of it, doesn't it? Times like this I either get so mad I dump it in the garbage, or I get obsessive-compulsive and stay up till 3:00am to get it right.
I hope it works out for you!

1) Put your two rectangular pieces of fabric right-sides together.
2) Stitch together only the long sides at this point. You will be cutting the "smile contour" on the short ends anyway, which would cut off any top/bottom seams.
3)Turn your fabric right side out. Top stitch long sides if desired (will look much nicer this way, and be easier to use as well.)
4) Fold in half (unhemmed to unhemmed) and cut your "smile"
5) Continue with the regular directions as though it were just one layer of fabric.

This is the pattern I am refering to, and am assuming you are using.
http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

nohomama
11-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Amy,

Thanks for your insight. I thought of doing it this way but I didn't think my machine could handle the last part of the french seam. What I did (I asked Beth if this would work and she confirmed that it wouldor at least that she thought it would) was sew the "smile" on both pieces of fabric first, then put right-sides together--basically one ring of fabric inside another--then stitched the long sides together leaving a gap in one side so the sling could be turned right-side out.

Theoretically this should have worked but in reality it didn't. As I said before, when inside out the thing I've sewn looks like an inside-out pocket sling and can function as a one. When turned, it's difficult to describe what happens (Angela S. if you'd like to lend your discriptive powers here, I'd welcome it.). Needless to say, it doesn't look like I'd hoped and certainly can't function as a sling. Forgive the pun but this is SEW frustrating.

Are there any lined pocket sling making WAHMs reading who would tell me the secret to doing this (you can PM me or email me through the boards if you want to keep it under wraps)? I would be so appreciative and I promise, I won't go starting my sling making business. Cross my heart.

nohomama
11-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Beth, I know your back. PLEASE HELP!

egoldber
11-10-2003, 04:30 PM
LOL!!! Well, I've never actually done this, so I'm not sure if I'm much help! I never considered the Mobius strip aspect of this, but that sounds like what is happening. I'd follow Amy's directions but skip the French seam if the fabric is too bulky. Just sew 2-3 lines of straight stitching and you should be fine.

Good luck!