PDA

View Full Version : Walking Rock Farm vs. Hip Hammock dilemma, HELP!

caroline9
11-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi! I am new here. I have been reading the old messages on the Walking Rock Farms vs. Hip Hamock carriers. I just received a hip hammock and I do like it better than the old sara's ride my sister had loaned me (I am left handed and it is for right-handed users). Also, I am 5 feet tall so I don't know if that is an issue with the WRF?

I like the fact that the HH has a toy attachment, and I got the left-handed version, but the whole apparatus seems bulky and not that easty to get on. The WRF carrier was decribed by some as being easier, can you load the baby in and then slip the strap over? Is there a way to attach a toy to the WRF? DD is already 18 pounds and I am 95 lbs.

Also, I do not like the flap that folds over on the hip hammock (sara's ride is much more compact than that).

I ordered a left-handed WRF carrier today and called to find out about returning the HH, but I am not sure if I should cancel the order and just stick with the HH. Nancy Swanke wrote me an email insisting that it was the right carrier for me! The WRF will be custom-made for me, and I am 5 feet tall so the height issue with WRF I read about should bnot be a problem, but the lady said I could return it. I really want a carrier that is easy to load DD in and out of.

Can anyone give me a good idea of what the differences really are? Can you attach a toy to the WRF?

Sorry for the book, TIA for any feedback!

Momof3Labs
11-07-2003, 07:06 PM
The WRF is bulkier than the Hip Hammock. I definitely wouldn't call it easier to use - it was about the same for me. IMO, neither is a very good carrier - both dug into my neck and were very uncomfortable! I much prefer an adjustable pouch.

caroline9
11-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Oh Dear! Well, I thought it might be easier to take her in and out of? Is the WRF significantly bigger? I was under the impression they were about the same size.

Momof3Labs
11-07-2003, 11:53 PM
I can't see why it would be easier - the carriers both work the same way with some slight differences. The pouch itself is about the same size, but the shoulder pad on the WRF is HUGE! In fact, Zen_bliss thought that it would make a great flotation device in a pinch. :-)

caroline9
11-10-2003, 01:25 PM
So can you (Lori) or anyone tell me if the enormous shoulder strap is actually better? The lady in the phone said it had rubber backing and consequently is non-slip in a way the HH's one is not. However, I am thinking that if my HH got broken in enough, the shoulder pad (whic might stay in place.

Also, can anyone tell me if the actual width of the shoulder is bigger on the WRF, or is it just puffier? I am not too keen on a really wide shoulder since I am really petite and I would worry that it would slip off.

I'd live to hear about anyone's experiences with this. TIA!

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't have either anymore (sold them both) but I would say that the WRF should is wider, but not a lot wider (maybe an inch wider?). I found that both of the shoulders slipped - I couldn't get them to stay on my shoulder, they would always slide into my neck (and hurt).

zen_bliss
11-12-2003, 04:05 AM
i have them both (and am selling them both asap). i had to try em both, and i just prefer my M&MC pouch! i think the shoulders are the same width, but the WRF has the goofy pouf. the HH shoulder pad is a matte fabric and i would not worry about the pad going anywhere. i much preferred the HH's compactness. the WRF just didn't work well with my petite geometry even after cinching everything there is to cinch. i had also read WRF is "easier" but i found them about the same. if you are having one custom made, perhaps they would be willing to sew a toy loop for you?

newmomnyc
11-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Not exactly an answer to your question, because I don't have a HH, but I love my WRF, and my husband even uses it a lot too. Very comfortable for both us and our baby. I don't think the shoulder pad is huge, actually, but I'm pretty tall so maybe relative to my frame it's just no big deal. Anyhow, I really do like it a lot-- very easy to load in and out of, btw. I don't leave home without it anymore! (oh, and DD is 23 pounds now).

caroline9
11-17-2003, 02:17 AM
Thanks ladies! I realized afer ordering the WRF carrier that I had to cancel it, b/c when I called about about "trying it out" I was told I was not going to be able to return it if I did so! SO, I have kept the HH, and cancelled the WRF order and so far so good. Nancie Swanke (HH owner) has been so incredibly helpful, she even sent me a smaller custom-made shoulder pad due to my small stature (without my requestinog it!), and called me to instruct me on how to snug up the baby. I am really pleased I stuck with it as it is more compact and that was essential to me. Now, a MNM pouch may be in order, but I would be shot if DH found out!!!I really feel like the waist belt is essential.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Caroline, the waist belt is only essential (IMO) when you have that narrow strap, attached at one point, crossing over your shoulder. Pouches have a wider piece of fabric over your shoulder that runs down around baby, so you get the effect of a waist strap (weight pulled into your body) without actually having one. I have a horrible history of back problems - but the pouches are actually gentler on my back and shoulders than the HH or WRF!