PDA

View Full Version : How necessary are the padded rails for slings?

cdlamis
11-10-2003, 11:47 AM
After hours of reading posts, I am probably getting the cotton pouch Hotsling. I have read that the padded rails helps prevent red marks when in the hip position. I don't see myself carrying Julia for an extended period of time. I have the HipHammock and only used it for about 1/2 to an hour max at a time.

Are the padded rails good if you use it for a long period of time or will Julia get uncomfortable even after a few minutes?

One more question- are the padded rails good for when carrying an infant in the tummy to tummy position?

I guesss what I am asking is if I am going to use the sling for short periods of time with a toddler and a lot with an infant, will the padded rails be something I wish I had?

Can you tell I have never worn a sling before! :)
Thanks so much for any advice!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Definitely get the padded bottom rail for her legs - that is a must for a toddler, IMO.

egoldber
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, just to add a different opinion :) I've never had a sling with padded rails and never missed it. I've used a sling with Sarah since she weas 10 months and it has never been a problem.

HTH,

lizamann
11-11-2003, 10:49 AM
I think that padding might be mostly for the parent's peace of mind. That said, I think I myself have posted that I prefer my padded hotsling over my unpadded hotsling. I have seen red marks on dd's legs sometimes, but she has never complained. And if her butt is lower than her knees, where it's supposed to be, the pressure will be there instead of on the legs.

I just realized now that I don't worry about padding on any ring sling or wrap around sling, and I can't think of why the pouch would be any different. (Hmmm, maybe I like that padded hotsling better than the unpadded because I prefer the fabric!)

The padding will add some bulk to your sling. Unpadded, it folds up teeny tiny, maybe a little smaller than a folded pillow case. With the padding it will still scrunch pretty small, but about the size of a folded hand towel (because the padded won't stay folded in half - they spring open at least on mine.)

The other recommendation I have is purely asthetic - I prefer the double sided reversible slings. Not because I reverse it and have twice the fashion options, but because I hate having the wrong side of a printed fabric showing. Since I like to flip down the shoulder, I like to have a pretty contrasting fabric there instead of the ugly back side.

I just saw a Hotslings fleece pouch yesterday, and it was really nice!

Best of luck with your decisions. Sorry to be so long!

cdlamis
11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
I just ordered a cotton pouch from Hotslings with no padded rails. I figure for $20, I could try it out being that it is my first sling. I could always order another if needed. Thanks for your help everyone!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b