PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Transfer Newborn From Covertible Carseat Into The Store

garlicsalt
11-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Ok, I'm so confused.
I have to purchase a convertible carseat within the next couple weeks.
My 10 week old weighs over 17 pounds already, and his Snugride is a PITA to carry in the YMCA, where I can't bring in a stroller...and then we have to walk up and down the steep steps to the childcare area...ugh, it's a workout in itself.
OK, so when I have a convertible purchased and installed, how do I get my little guy warmly into the Y? I'm thinking a sling under my coat? I've done no research on slings, because I thought they were silly when I was pregnant. Instead, I bought a Theodore Bean front carrier, but I rarely use it...it's difficult to maneuver in the house, let alone outside in the bitter cold.
And that's the thing...I live in Wisconsin where the cold weather is brutal.
So do you think a sling under the coat is the way to go to warmly transport him into the Y?
If so, can you point me in the direction of a high-quality sling? I'm so confused by all of the options.

votre_ami03
11-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Whoa baby! I thought Nolan was big & he was 14lbs 14 oz @ 9 weeks! :)

Nolan outgrew his Snugride at 13 weeks & Lori (Mofof3labs) suggested getting a pouch. I went with the Mom & Me pouch by Jen @ http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/peainpod.html. I love it! I carried Nolan around the grocery store in it, I even use it for housework. I don't think you would have a prob wearing it under a coat. I live in Phoenix, so my climate is the opposite of yours.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

Momof3Labs
11-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Christy, I'm so glad that you are happy with your pouch!! They are just so handy - I wish that I had bought mine earlier.

But to the original poster, another option is the fleece pouch from Kangaroo Korner (www.kangarookorner.com) - it is also adjustable and warm. But probably too warm for use in the summer, whereas the Mom & Me pouch can be used on all but the hottest days of the summer.

mommyj
11-15-2003, 03:21 AM
I just want to third the pouch recommendations. I have both the Mom and Me and the KKAFP. My DS is a big boy, too. He's 17 lbs 10 oz at 12 weeks. I've always carried him in a pouch when running errands, and it makes life much easier.

toomanystrollers
11-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Here's my 2 cents :)

For your weather, I would vote for the Kangaroo Korner Adj. Fleece Pouch - very toasty and comfy (my dd is on the hefty side too!)

Back to Y already - good for you mama! I need to join.

Momof3Labs
11-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Kenosha, I could meet up with you and show you the M&MC hemp pouch and the KKAFP!

egoldber
11-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, when my DD outgrew the infant seat, I just wrapped her in up in a fleece baby blanket until we got inside. But I wasn't wearing slings then. Honestly, on a cold, blustery winter day, I'm not sure I'd want to fuss with putting a baby in and out of a sling. But that's me.

HTH,

votre_ami03
11-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Lori, It's been a life saver. Thanks for the suggestion. I was just using it at Home Depot yesterday & an older gentlemen was in awe how Nolan could be just hanging there.

I get smiles from some & odd looks from others. *lol*

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

parkersmama
11-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Same here, Beth. I think standing outside getting everything adjusted in the sling would be a pain unless you're going to be keeping it on for a while. I *love* my pouch slings and they are toasty for baby but I don't use them for just a trip in from the car. I think a cozy blanket, sweater/jacket, and hat for the baby would be enough.

deborah_r
11-17-2003, 02:57 PM
How about the Bundle Me? Isn't that a nice warm bunting that fits into the carseat? (I haven't used it or ever seen it IRl so I don't know - just an idea)

garlicsalt
11-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Well, that's just it...I thought that a sling might be "easy" to maneuver under my coat, but since I've never seen one in person, I can't assume that I guess!
At any rate, I think I'll still look around for a sling because DS is at the point where he wants to be with me for the better part of the day.
And I'm nowhere near Kenosha!!!!! I'm waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy up here in Wausau!