PDA

View Full Version : Good gawd, why can't I just pick a sling? Help!

kristine_elen
11-21-2003, 03:39 PM
For months I've been debating which sling to buy and I just can't decide. I wish there were a Slings R Us store where I could try them all on. I know opinions will vary widely, but I value your input. I am 5'2" and, ugh, about 140 pounds right now (I say "right now" as if sometime soon I will lose this weight). My son is gigantic -- 11 months and about 27 pounds. I've been leaning toward a cotton zolo or a maya or maybe a KK cotton pouch (too warm in Maryland for the fleece). What would you guys recommend?
Thanks!

lizamann
11-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow, your baby is quite the big little guy! Do you carry him on your hip a lot now? At that weight, I think that is probably the only comfortable way to use the carriers you mentioned for any extended period of time. But my dd is only 13.5 lbs, so I don't really have any experience with heavy babies.

Not to make your decision any harder, but have you considered any of the 2-shoulder carriers that could go either on the front or the back? Like the Ergo, Sutemi, Kelley's Kozy, etc. Having the support of both shoulders might be a good thing with a big baby. But these carriers aren't as easy for quick up and downs as the ones you mentioned.

I realize now that I am being absolutely no help here. I think any of the ones you mentioned would be great for hip carries. It's hard to tell before you try one which will be the most comfortable for you. Maybe make your decision based on how you think the carriers look? Buy the cutest one and hope it is comfy!!

megulis
11-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Another one I would throw in is Rev. Jan's ring sling. I believe she makes pouches too. The reason I recommend her is that her slings are made well and are inexpensive.

If you don't get them from her, at least look at her new directions. They are great!

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html

I would try the ring sling out. I'm sure you will have your thoughts on how you like them. If you become an sling addict like most of us, you can buy more, more, more!!!

Although I like my ring sling, I definitely think a pouch is better for a beginner like you and me. I am right now playing around with my ring sling, but I definitely know how to use my pouch.

Good luck!

houseof3boys
11-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm laughing at your post since I could just hear the tone in that good gawd. I have no advice but wanted to commiserate since I am awful at making the sling/pouch decisions too. I do have a hotsling pouch that I really like and I bought a cotton Zolo but am still challenged at using it.

I just wish you luck at making the decision. Oh yeah, I wish there were a slings r us too! :)

kristine_elen
11-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Well, I just ordered a natural hemp pouch from Mom-and-Me Creations. I sent Jen an email around 11:30 last night w/some questions and had a response when I woke up this morning.
Hope it works out! Gulp...

littlecsmama
11-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Kristine! I've been in the same boat as you for the past few months. My son is also pretty hefty. He's 23 pounds at 8 months. After much research and asking around, I finally just bought the hemp pouch because of the stretch and adjustability factors and the ergo for longer walks and so daddy can carry him too. Good luck with your decision! Let me know what you think! I can't wait for mine to arrive! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Get the Zolo. It's really sturdy. The fabric is strong and the rings are strong and I think it would really feel snug and safe with your big baby in it.

Once I got my Zolo, I was afraid to use my weak cotton ring sling again. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
11-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Well, just to add another opinion to the mix, LOL....

I would get either a Mom and Me hemp pouch or a Maya Wrap. I love how soft and easy to use the Maya is. (FYI, I also have a Zolo and just prefer the Maya). I use the Maya to carry my 30 pound two year old with no problem. Others prefer the Zolo, and I also have a Zolo, but the Maya works better for me. I do think that the Zolo is easier to use "out of the box", but for me, the Maya is the more comfortable sling. I did have to watch the video that came with it to learn to use it properly.

And even though he's 27 pounds now, he may not necessarily gain a lot of weight in the next year. My DD was around 20 pounds at 1 year and only recently hit 30 pounds.

FYI, I am about your size and I wear a small Maya or a small Zolo.

chlobo
11-23-2003, 06:38 PM
What sling is best for a newborn. My baby is 2.5 weeks old and my husband and I would like to be able to carry her around the house and to nurse discreetly in public. She's pretty small right now (7 lbs).

Should I get a pouch or a sling? And which one do you recommend.?

kristine_elen
11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
-- "What sling is best for a newborn. My baby is 2.5 weeks old and my husband and I would like to be able to carry her around the house and to nurse discreetly in public. She's pretty small right now (7 lbs).Should I get a pouch or a sling? And which one do you recommend.?" --

I have heard that pouches are great for newborns. But as you can see, I had my own troubles picking one out. I (finally) ordered mine from www.mom-and-me-creations.com but it hasn't arrived yet (just ordered it a day or two ago). I will say that the owner, Jen, was very patient with my numerous emailed questions. I will also say that I had a NoJo sling before and it didn't like it -- could never get Jack high enough and it killed my back.