PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick to the Ergo?

KMommie
12-30-2003, 05:55 PM
We got DH a custom Ergo for Christmas. The idea was that he would be able to carry DD in it, since he refuses to wear the Zolo. He thought the Ergo, looked more "guy-ish". DD LOVES being in her sling. But we can't seem to get her into the Ergo without a lot of screaming and tears. She seems very uncomfortable, almost like we have her in wrong. We followed the directions and from the pictures we think we have it right, it looks so easy. But, Kiki's just so unhappy in there! Could all the fuss just be from being in a backpack type carry, something new for her? It almost seems like she isn't getting enough support and that's why she's so unhappy. She can't see much either, she seems too far down. Is that the way it is until they're older? ARGH! This was supposed to give DH equal carrying time, and help DH go out with her alone, since she has VERY limited time in the stroller before she wants OUT!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

lizamann
12-30-2003, 06:11 PM
I sold my ergo after not being able to do the back carry by myself. My problem was that dd didn't seem far enough down in it and it seemed like she could arch out if she wanted to. I couldn't relax with her in it.

Maybe you can try Kiki in the front position for a while if she's more used to that. This would separate the difference between the back carry (new) and the support issue (also new). One new thing at a time, the scientist in me says.

You say she's far down in there - is it because the fabric in back goes up too high, or because she slouches and slumps inside the carrier?

I would definitely try it several times over the next couple of weeks. Some carriers take a while to figure out, but when you do, they're great. Good luck!

KMommie
12-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks Beth! We will try the front position tonight. We'll see how it goes. Good thought to separate the issues!

She just looks so uncomfortable in there. When we first position her, it does seem like she isn't "down far enough". But then, she seems to slouch down, her legs go higher.

I just have to remember to keep at it... we'll keep trying!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03