PDA

View Full Version : do you need a stroller if you have a baby bjorn or sling?

sdbc
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
For those of you who carry your infant in a carrier, do you find it's also necessary to have a stroller?

Thanks!

Sue

lizamann
01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
I live in the city, and the only time I use a stroller is when I need to carry the carseat around to walk to the car rental, get a taxi, or wheel the thing across the street to the garage for dh's car. I use the universal carseat carrier to pop the carseat on. I also use it to go grocery shopping (walk to the store) but I sling baby and use the stroller for groceries. I haven't bought anything like a lightweight stroller yet because I haven't seen the need. I much prefer carrying her and it feels funny to push her around. But my dd is a tiny 15 pounds at 8 months, so that helps! I have a friend with a 20 month old and she still carries him everywhere, never using a stroller. She's my babywearing idol!

calebsmama03
01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I live in the burbs and find it useful to have both. I suppose if I HAD to choose just one, the sling is better simply because DS often wants out of the stroller after a while. Plus it's more useful for things like grocery shopping where you cannot push both a cart and a stroller. I find that I usually have both with me when we go out (to the zoo, the mall, for a walk, etc.) and end up using both. For longer trips we generally start out in the stroller, then sling for a while, then maybe go back to the stroller. It also helps to have the stroller to put your stuff in while carrying baby.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

votre_ami03
01-16-2004, 04:35 PM
I have both & definitely use both. I live in a large city, but it is very spread out. I use my stroller for walks around the neighborhood & trips to the mall. I always bring my pouch w/me to the mall too though b/c Nolan will most likely need to be carried at some point & I can use the stroller for my bags.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

hardysmom
01-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Taking on mind that I am one of the nuts who usually posts on the stroller board and LOVE my wheels, I don't think you need both in the very beginning, but eventually most people will need a stroller...

In the beginning, I usually used a Bjorn, sling or carried my baby in the carseat to a shopping cart. In retrospect, a Universal Car Seat Carrier would have been helpful. I mostly used the stroller if-

1) DH was with me so he could participate in pushing. Also for the Grandmoms, babysitter, etc and others who weren't comfortable baby-wearing.

2) I was going clothes shopping (where I might try something on) or someplace the stroller's basket would come in handy

3) On long walks where I might want stuff in the basket, to sit down and have my hands, allow DS to take a long nap, etc...

4) For travel. I would usually take a carrier and a stroller- both were handy.

Every baby is different- my son was HUGE (18 lbs at 3 mo) and didn't like to be carried all the time by the time he was 4 mo or so, but up until that time I probably could have gotten by w/o a stroller. I also never mastered the ability to wear DS and continue normal activities like eating once he was more than a tiny, tiny infant, etc... I also never figured out how to balance a sling or carrier and the fully packed diaper bag I needed in the earlier months.

After 3 months (and certainly by 6 mo) I would have needed the stroller so that he could nap when we were out, to use as an improv high chair/changing table/bassinet, to let DS "see the world." I tried using various backpacks and hip-carriers but my back just wasn't up to the task of constant baby-wearing.

Bottom line is that I think it depends on you lifestyle, baby's personality, and how well you "take" to baby wearing... One way or another, it is a good ambition and one that is pretty easy to maintain in the beginning...

Stephanie