PDA

View Full Version : sling vs. backpack

natesmomdrsuz
01-27-2004, 03:56 PM
My DS is 5 months old and around 17 lbs., and getting too big for his Baby Bjorn. I'm looking for something new to carry him around in that can be used by both me (5'1") and my husband (5'11") for longer than a few months.

I like the slings, but my DS is used to being "out there" facing forward in the front, and in fact sometimes complains specifically for his baby Bjorn so that he can be shuttled around to look at things and reach for them. The slings look comfy, but I wonder if they'd be too snug and confining. My husband also says he wouldn't wear any of the "pretty" ones outside the house. On the other hand, the backpacks are high up and give the parent limited access to the baby, so I wonder how safe they really are.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
01-27-2004, 04:27 PM
We have both. I use a sling around the house and for errands. The backpack is better when DH and I are both out for a longer period as we find it hard to put on with just one person - it is a two person job. With a sling, you can use a kangaroo carry for a while, where baby is in front of you facing out, and eventually use a hip carry. Colin very much wants to see and be seen, and is very happy in a hip carry position in our sling. They still can reach and grab, so it isn't much more confining than a Bjorn.

hipmaman
01-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I also have many carriers and prefer the backpack for few occasions like when I cook and need to carry a child (babe out of the way and having the best view), long walking time, or crowded places that a baby would be best being higher up, etc.

My philosophy is if I can't use any carrier (or any baby gear for that matter) by myself than it's useless to me. Backpack can be used by yourself without help. The frame helps with that. All you do is load the baby and either bring the carrier on a table/chair and turn yourself around (w/ hand still on the carrier) and bend your knees (if necessary) and put yourself into the carrier straps. If there isn't a higher surface, then you have to pretty much get down on a sitting/haunching position, strap the carrier on and then get up by working your leg muscles and bring the carriers up while keeping your back straight. Sounds complicated but not at all.

On the other hand, I can't get the soft carriers/slings for the back position. I need a surface where I can lay the carrier out and then put the baby down, etc. I can't do this easily so this is a 2-person job for me, lol.

I personally don't like it when the baby is flush to my back and has no view in a soft carrier/sling, so I opt for the frame backpack for back-carrying. It's also a bit yucky on a hot and sweaty day with the carrier/sling, lol.

My dh also refuses to wear anything but the Baby Bjorn, the Theodore Bean carriers and the backpack.

Oh, btw, the Macpac carriers have the little mirror that you can use to check the baby in the cockpit, lol. Ideally, it takes more than one person to keep an eye on any baby on the back, but you get use to reaching into the pockets and giving things to the baby, etc.

Sorry, rambling...

natesmomdrsuz
02-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Thank you very much for the insight!
Now I'm thinking of an MnM (maroon brown), but of course I can't get one now! Maybe she'll be back soon?
I also like the MacPac, although not so much the price, since I can't even try one out before buying- is it easily adjustable between a short and tall person? And is it light enough to wear around the house for DH? (I would probably wear the MnM around the house if I could get one before the baby's too big!)

Momof3Labs
02-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Jen from Mom & Me will probably be back to making custom slings after her baby is born (she's due any day now) and she gets caught up on her current orders. Maybe another month or so??