PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Hug-a-Bub!

ginamlee
01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
A lady on the Yahoo group babywearingswap made this for me for $15!!! It is so awesome. I just got it today, wrapped it, and plopped kiddo in there in under a minute! I thought it would be difficult, but it is SOOO easy. And, it is SOOO comfortable too. This is my first try with this type of carrier, and I really love it for a longer-term carry situation. (Miss Autumn is sleeping in it right now.

Anyway, I set my digital camera on the stairs and set the self-timer thing, so this is a horrible photo, but I really wanted you guys to see this. (And, can you believe $15??)

http://www.adoptionannouncements.com/ebay/homemadehugabub.jpg

toomanystrollers
01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
That's too comfy and $15 bucks - WOW. And oh stop it, you look great:)

So does the fabric have some "stretch" to it?

ginamlee
01-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Yep, it is a stretchy fabric. It reminds me of a high quality t-shirt, except with a bit more stretch. Jersey knit, maybe? (Sorry, I am a fabric idiot...!

lizamann
01-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Very nice! I so want a Hug-a-Bub, but they are pricey! I wish I had a sewing machine...

Seems like you figured out the wrapping pretty quickly. I think wraps are my favorite. I love pulling the fabric up over dd's head when she falls asleep. You guys look so snuggly.

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Gina you look Beautiful!!!!
I have a question about the sling...is it two part...the stripe fabric and that navy blue...I'm lost in how this one works...however it works you all do look comfie!!! :)
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

chlobo
01-30-2004, 06:09 PM
I love it. Did it come with wearing instructions? Do you have the contact info? I'd love to get one.

ginamlee
01-30-2004, 06:48 PM
The sling is all one piece. The striped fabric you see is a huge pocket of sorts. I was told to use the instructions here: http://www.peppermint.com/UBWinst.htm . They worked perfectly. (Autumn is in the wrap right now...again...)

ginamlee
01-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I love mine so much that I decided to buy a "real" Hug a Bub because it comes in all black (my wardrobe staple). At first I thought I'd sell this one for what I paid, but now I think I'm going to keep it for when one is in the wash. I can already tell that these carriers will get daily use.

I'll ask the lady who made it if she wants more business. She had purchased fabric to make one for herself and had extra yardage. So she made 3 more and sold them (and they sold immediately on babywearingswap). They are very simple; nothing fancy. But, they work fantastic!!!

new_mommy25
01-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Ooh ooh ooh, yes please ask if she wants more business :) I would so buy that and I would pay more than $15! It looks comfy and the color is very nice. I thought it was a great picture. I love putting faces to names!

ak_becky_book
01-30-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't post very often, but before our last vacation I was looking around (on the net) at the hug a bub and some of the other that were similar didymos and that other german one.

They were all way too expensive, then I found instructions on a cached page in google. All I did was buy 7 yards of stretchy fabric from wal-mart (not too stretchy or the baby droops, very uncomfortable). Then I cut it in half (the strechy material does not unravel, so I did not hem or edge it). I followed the tieing instructions that I have found on the net and I had myself a very cheap hug a bub (7$, made two).

Mine is very pink (almost easter colored), I used it a bit on the trip, but it ended up being more of a pain to put on than a help. I am not a small person and have a large bust, so I was using 7 yards. My daughter was 11 mo old and about 21 lbs. Plus, for the trip we were in the South Caribean and it was hot.

I just wanted to say that you can "make" your own hug-a-bub type carrier for very little money and effort (at least to try it out, to see if you want to spend the big bucks).

Rebecca
Mom to Samantha
12/1/02

ginamlee
01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I asked her, and here is her response:

I'm glad you like your wrap. I love mine too! Isn't it comfy as a favorite t-shirt? Both of my daughters (5 months and 4 years) fit in there nicely!!

Actually, I have a small business and I sell ring slings and non ajustable pouchs, but due to the wonderful response to my firsts protitypes we'll start to sell wraparaounds too. Those will be proffesionally made by our seamstress (not by me and my old machine) really nicely crafted, with edges finished and some color options. They will be more pricey, $ 30 CAD plus shipping ( $ 8 CAD to USA) = $ 28-30 USD icluding shipping, what is still a good deal, I think. If your friends are interested the adress of my page is http://www.toncadeau.com/slings.htm , there I've posted some pics and instructions and fabric options will be uploaded next week. My site is in french but they can email me directly if they're interested.

Happy babywearing!!

Catalina
[email protected]