PDA

View Full Version : Any small moms use a carrier with a big toddler?

brigmaman
02-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Just wondering if there is any carrier that might work for short in and out trips, and maybe even longer trips such as church and shopping?
I would need something that can hold a 29 lb. almost 34 inch toddler. I sometimes end up holding him in situations when he gets tired, or just bored in a cart, etc.
I couldn't figure out a way to search using those criteria.

Calmegja2
02-04-2004, 12:57 PM
A ring sling in a hip carry is what I use for my toddler about that size, as well as an adjustable fleece pouch...

The pouch works really well for popping the baby in and out....

egoldber
02-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm 5' 1", and I like my cotton pouch the best. I have a Maya that I like too. I use them both for my 30 lber all the time. :)

With a ring sling though, I find I am pretty fussy about the tail length. I don't like the tail to overwhelm me. I also don't like a fleece pouch, again because it feels like it overwhelms me, but that seems to just be me, since most folks love their fleece pouches.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
02-04-2004, 04:15 PM
What do you mean by small? I'm 5'4" but not a featherweight. Colin is 33" and 22lbs, so about the same height but lighter weight. I like the Zolo, the KKAFP, the Mom & Me pouch and my Rev. Jan sling. I had a Zolo in medium (that's how I measured out) but just got a small and like it better. Here's Colin (and me all frumpy in a baggy sweatshirt) trying out our new size small Zolo:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2317.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2318.jpg

brigmaman
02-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Lol, I should have clarified. I guess I am small-ish, or maybe I should just say short. I am 5'2 and normal build (oh, and um...smallish up top;)). I like the KK Cotton pouch, but I have only looked at 2 sites. I need it to be easy to use.
Thanks for posting the pix, I was curious to see how a bigger child would fit. Colin looks very comfortable. I had a bjorn when Brig was a newborn, but never got used to it. So instead, I held him basically for the first 4 months of his life. He's still loves to be held, but it gets tough. Anyway...off to check out the Mom & Me.

lizamann
02-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Ah, nice Whimsy sling! How come it looks good on you but not on me? Oh well...

I too measure out to the medium sling but prefer the small. When dd was tiny and I was getting the hang of nursing cradle hold, though, I appreciated the long tails.

Sorry, I've forgotten what the OP was about, since I was distracted by the nice picture!

cinrein
02-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Great to put a face with a name! Very nice sling!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

PookaMama
02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
My daughter is 14 months now and 25 lbs and she's at that stage of constant up and down. I'm 5'2" (almost) and about 125 lbs.

I most often reach for my Maya adjustable pouch, EllaRoo lightly padded ring sling, or Ergo. Any pouch or ring sling could do, and I have others, but these seem to be my current favourites for no reason other than because :).

I like the pouch because it's very fast - no adjustment necessary, just pop and go. The ring sling is not much more work to get on, and in my opinion a little easier to get off. I can loosen the sling and drop Fallon out the bottom rather than pull her out the top of the pouch. But by far, the Ergo gets the most use for us these days. I find it very fast to get her on my back, and so much more comfortable than having her weight resting on one shoulder. If I know she's going to be in a carrier for more than 5 or 10 minutes, I reach for the Ergo. And it's so nice for times when I need to do housework or cook and she wants to be held.

All that said... I'm pretty sure that as soon as I get my Kozy that will replace the Ergo as my most often used carrier. (Short version... I had one, gave it to a friend, waiting on a replacement.) It's a great carrier, and has the advantage over the Ergo that it can be used in more positions more comfortably.

I hope this helped some! You may also want to check out http://www.thebabywearer.com for lots of great review information, carrier comparisons, etc.

spu
02-06-2004, 01:46 PM
My twins are 18 months old and I love my maya wrap. I'm 5'3" and 115 lbs, and wearing ababy on my hip is very comfortable. You can try on a maya before buying at your local la leche league meetings - they also sell them at a discount.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

new_mommy25
02-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I like the Whimsy. You should not have posted that picture becAsue now I want one. I am 5'6" and I have a long torso. I have a Zolo in small and it is perfect for me. I measured out for a medium but Darian advised me to get the small and I am so glad I did. i love my KKAFP which is a medium but I know now that I could have easily gone with a small. Sorry this is OT, but thanks for posting the picture Lori. i love matching faces.