PDA

View Full Version : MnM pouch- need BIG help getting positioned right!

lynettefrancois
02-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Help! I'm trying to do a cradle hold with the mom and me pouch, but getting dd comfy is hit or miss. (so far only got comfy once). I thought the snaps were supposed to be as far back as possible- is that wrong? Where should her feet and legs be? She does not want to bunch up her legs (always wants her legs free, even when sleeping will kick furiously to get her legs unbunched from swaddling), so should I just forget this position and try something else? Any suggestions appreciated- I SO want to love my pouch! She's 2 months old now- TIA!!

Momof3Labs
02-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Can you post a picture? I bet that you'll do better with a tummy-to-tummy position at this age, especially if she likes her legs free.

lynettefrancois
02-05-2004, 01:48 AM
I could probably post a picture tomorrow night (if my sister isn't working) if I knew how! DH is out of town until sunday. How do you put a picture on here from your hard drive? I looked at many pictures online of how to put baby in cradle hold in this type pouch, but I can never tell where the feet are, so I just imagined they were scrunched... especially since the only time I put her in it and she was happy, that's where they were. The other times she was trying to stretch her legs straight out, which of course she couldn't do because she's basically facing me and that would mean her knees would have to bend backwards for that to work. When she did this I would have to give up because she'd get furious, and it was disconcerting since usually pretty even tempered. Even if she was facing directly up, I still don't see how it would be possible for her to stretch her legs out. ALL the times I tried to put her in, her head was putting a lot of pressure on my left breast, to the point that I finally took her out of it because of that. I have only used it a few times... :( Does this help describe it enough, or do I just need to post a picture? Thanks so much!

heidi_timms
02-05-2004, 02:35 AM
My DD sometimes liked what I called the lounge position. It's basically the cradle position, laying down, but one arm (the outside arm and the lower part of her legs would dangle outside the pouch. This way she had more freedom.

Also, my baby didn't like to be held in cradle position even in my arms. In general, she always preferred and still does to be held upright. She likes to see the world. I didn't get my pouch until my baby was 4 months old, but I found that she really liked the kangaroo position and would deal with the "lounge" position, but not one of her favorites.

It definitely took some time to be fully comfortable with working my pouch.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lynettefrancois
02-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Heidi- She doesn't usually mind reclining (since we started the zantac!), and this position sounds great since I assume she'd be able to sleep that way- Stupid question (I don't want her to start associating the pouch with discomfort!), but do the legs go out the front or back of the pouch? Would she be basically facing up, or tilted one direction? Thanks! :)

heidi_timms
02-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi Lynette, I hang her legs out the front of the pouch (the side that isn't against my body. She is laying back with the outside arm over the edge as well. You have to make sure her bottom is deep enough in the pocket so she doesn't fall out and her head is in a position so she can see out.

Hope this makes sense....

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

jayhjay
02-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Your daughter might be getting a little big for cradle (mine did around 2 months but she is pretty large). But until then, what worked for me was having the snaps far back so that the biggest part of the pocket was in front of me. Then I sort of put her tush in that and she was semi reclined, semi seated which gave more room for her legs. (When she was littler I had the snaps more toward my shoulder and could put the pocket more toward the side which made her sink in lower into more of a laying down position.) Now at 3 months my DD really likes tummy position with her legs hanging out. I also have started a kangaroo hold which I like too.

lynettefrancois
02-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Heidi, that makes sense but I have one more question- her legs don't seem like they'd be heavy/big/long enough to overcome the tightness of the rails, unless her butt isn't supposed to be squarely over that center seam in this position... where should her behind be? Do you center the snaps on your back or are they closer to the shoulder? Thanks for the info!

lynettefrancois
02-06-2004, 01:14 AM
I didn't realize there was a "size limit" for the cradle hold! When can I try the kangaroo hold? Don't they need good head control for that? She does pretty well but I'm still afraid of her head flopping back. She likes to look around so I'm sure she'd enjoy it... I would like to find a position she will go to sleep in, too- what should I try? Thanks a bunch!

heidi_timms
02-06-2004, 06:36 PM
HMMM. Lynette I can't remember exactly how I had her positioned in relation to the seam, snaps etc. I don't carry DD that way anymore since she is 9 months now. You might want to try experimenting. I used to try mine out around the house and stand in the mirror to adjust her, etc.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lynettefrancois
02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
I will try it in front of a mirror- I never thought of that... thanks!