PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bjorn Q?

bubbaray
02-09-2004, 01:12 AM
I can't use any type of sling or one-sided carrier due to prior back problems. However, I do have an original Baby Bjorn carrier that I was planning on using. The company's website says you can use it from 8lbs and 21 inches. But someone told me the other day that you can't use a Baby Bjorn from birth (assuming the weight/length requirements are met) and that a Snugli is better? I thought the Baby Bjorns were the better product? Help!?

TIA
Melissa

jaana CO
02-09-2004, 02:34 AM
I used the the Baby Bjorn, but it hurt my back a lot when my baby hit about 16 lbs. because there is no hip belt. Now I use the Ergo carrier and it's very easy on my back by comparison. I've never tried it with a newborn, but with an accessory it can be used with a newborn, then it's good for babies and toddlers too. It can be worn on the front or back.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-09-2004, 01:04 PM
the reason it is said that you are not supposed to use a Baby Bjorn from birth is that it puts an unnatural pressure on baby's spine and pelvis. All their weight is resting on their pelvic bones in the Bjorn, and that is supposed to be bad for a newborn to be in that position before they can sit up on their own.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

toomanystrollers
02-09-2004, 03:14 PM
For back problems, I wouldn't recommend the bjorn at all. The bjorn was downright painful for me once my first two babes hit 10 lbs. Have you tried a pouch-style carrier at all? I can comfortably wear my fleece pouch (www.kangarookorner.com) for several hours.

HTH

Momof3Labs
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I have back problems, too, and the Bjorn was horrible for me. A sling has worked much better, believe it or not!