PDA

View Full Version : KKACP ok for breastfeeding?

katenyc
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
I wanted to take a break from stroller decisions and make life "easy" by picking a sling....oops!

I am very impressed with the KK website, but...they seem to be pushing the fleece pouch. I am having a June baby and live in hot, humid, sweaty NYC. (That being said, chances are that if it is more than 80 degrees at any given time we will be inside--in strong air conditioning!)

The KK website also seems to recommend their lightly padded ring slings over their pouches (fleece or cotton) for breastfeeding/cradle hold (pouch is better for kangaroo/hip carry) b/c the baby's head is automatically supported by the sling in a way that the pouch doesn't manage.

Any real world experience/advice to offer?

Thanks in advance!

Kate

toomanystrollers
02-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Kate,
I used a KKACP during the summer here in the Boston area last summer - nice and sticky!!! I've yet to manage nursing with my pouches or slings - but then again, I'm wearing regular shirts vs. nursing shirts - so I would have to hike my whole shirt up to do so! I'm not very co-ordinated :)

HTH

zen_bliss
02-24-2004, 06:19 PM
i find BFing in a pouch more difficult than in a ringsling for discretion's sake -- with a ringsling, i can just toss the tail over her head for coverage and go about what i need to do with the use of both arms, whereas, i tend to use one arm to cradle & i check myself more often with a stretchy pouch (M&M or KKAFP). i found the KKACP to not be comfortable for anything other than very short errands (and then it is very handy and compact), and forget BFing.

for hot humid climes, i most recommend a solarveil ringsling. it's airy mesh, it dries quickly, and it offers UV protection. (also handy for swimming or showering with the babe!) reverend jan (www.sleepingbaby.net) makes them custom to fit with a double layer (the KK solarveil sling i saw was single layer). my red solarveil is hands down the easiest to adjust & use and gets tons of compliments.

chrissyhowie
02-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I'm in NYC too!

I have a KKAFP, a Rev Jan solarveil ring sling and a hotsling type pouch. Breastfeeding in the pouches, while possible, is kind of challenging -- not all that comfortable for either me or DD. I also agree that ring slings are much easier for breastfeeding.

I use my hotsling-type pouch the most. I made it out of a thin cotton material so it is super compact. Folds up and fits even in my small purse! Instead of trying to breast feed with DD in it, I would usually take DD out. Sometimes I would use draped it over us for some modest coverage if I wanted it.

While I think the KKAFP is a great sling, personally it makes me a little too hot wearing it, even in the winter. It was nice to throw it in the bottom of the stroller during the winter months when my DD was a newborn though and use it when needed as either a sling or blanket! It's also so much bulkier folded than my cotton pouch so I never carry it around with me.

I've used the solarveil ring sling mainly during the summer months and at the beach (but you could of course use it year-round!). I've also used it as a makeshift sun shade draped over my stroller. While there are definite advantages to ring slings (like for breastfeeding), I just personally prefer the look and compactness of pouches over ring slings.

Good luck finding one that you and your baby love! Slings are a great help!

HTH,

papal
02-27-2004, 01:12 AM
I am not much of a sling or pouch guru (i have a KKAFP, KKACP and a Rev Jan Sling) and I did base my purchases thinking of coverage when i nursed the baby while she was in the sling. In retrospect all i have to say is HA HA. I find it nearly impossible to nurse in a pouch or sling and seriously i am never that busy that i do not have 10 minutes to sit down, hold the baby in my arms and nurse her.
So my advice would be to not base your purchase solely on coverage.. the chances that you will nurse the baby while in the pouch are very little. Thats just my opinion. And it is based on only 4 months of experience so take it with a grain of salt. :)