PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with my sling! Arrghh!

papal
02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Ok, so i hate the KKACP because of the weird fold-over snaps thing and i needed something for the summer and around the house and the KKAFP was not cutting it because baby and me were sweating up a storm. So i thought i would try a sling and got a Rev. Jan cotton one. After spending a few hours trying to master threading the darn thing i finally succeeded (i think). Like a fool I ordered the large size (thinking like an idiot once again that i would nurse in it and would need the coverage.. I NEVER nurse in a pouch or sling so that was dumb of me). Now the tail is literally a tail and it goes all the way to the floor and then some (almost tripped on it one time). I am going to cut it off soon. Annnnyway... i cannot figure out how everyone tightens the pouch by pulling on the tail so very easily.. my rings seem to have SO much fabric and everytime i pull everything gets bunched up in the ring....arrghhhh.....just so darn frustrating.
Overall i like it because it is so light but the fabric bunching in the rings is frustrating me.
Is there a sling out there that is easier to use than this... and is there a sling out there that does not cover your entire front and back with fabric or should i just stop wearing anything on top.. i mean the sling is a good cover up right? (just kidding.. seeing if you are paying attention! heehee) :)
Just very frustrated that i cannot use my sling/pouch successfully. Ok.. end of rant.

Jan Andrea
02-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Rashmi, if you want to send it back, I can shorten it. (Are my sizing guidelines not accurate? If they need tweaking, I can definitely do that!)

When you're pulling to adjust it, it can be helpful to pull on one side and then the other, not the middle. If you pull from the middle, the fabric is more likely to bunch up. There are good sling-threading directions at http://www.quinnclairetatum.com/family/id12.html as well as the ones on my sling wearing page (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/wearing/threading.html) -- sometimes seeing pictures can be helpful.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way!

papal
02-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Jan!! No no... it is not the sling.. it is me.. i just am a klutz at trying to figure things out.. and with sleep deprivation thrown in the mix, my patience is really running thin!!!
If it was the sling I would have emailed you since you have been more than helpful answering all my questions.

I cut off the tail this morning and am waiting for Leela to wake up so i can try it.

I don't think i have threaded it correctly.. it stil is bunching up in the middle when i pull at the edges.
Or maybe my body shape (or the lack thereof) with narrow shoulders and a short-waist, is not made for slings. :(

People, my post was NOT a complaint about the sling itself.. it was with my frustration at trying to use it. The sling is Grrreat!!!

nitaghei
02-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Rashmi,

You want to get together? I have a Rev Jan sling that I successfully threaded and have been using. It's not your body shape - I have narrow shoulders and a short waist too!! In fact, I'm an inch shorter than you.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Jan Andrea
02-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I wonder if it isn't simply too wide. The twill slings are about 28" wide, I think. If it wouldn't drive you nuts to rethread it, you might unthread it, fold some fabric over about 5", and then rethread it with the fold in place. This would give you something of a rail (I would do it on the top edge) and also might help about with the bunching in the middle. The same amount of fabric would be going through the rings, but the fold might help keep more of it on one side.

papal
02-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Sounds good to me Nita.. want to take this offline?.. email me at rpappu @ comcast . net (remove spaces).
looking forward to seeing you and neel!

DebbieJ
02-27-2004, 07:15 PM
I just wanted to add my dislike of the KKACP. I don't know what it is about it--it must be the weird fold over, but the only hold that is comfy for either of us is cradle and we are quickly outgrowing that. He gets lost in the fabric when we try tummy to tummy and he doesn't have enough head control to try kangaroo carry yet.

I heard such wonderful things about the KKAFP, so I was hopeful. I'm doing well with my Zolo sling, though. I don't have one from Jan, so I'm of no help there.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

papal
02-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Debbie.. the KKAFP does not have the foldover like the KKACP. I love the KKAFP, but it is getting too warm to wear it.

You can try putting a recieving blanket in the pouch so your baby does not get lost in it.. or pulling up the back of the pouch a little bit higher.

DebbieJ
02-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I wish I could use a fleece pouch. But since I live in Southern CA, I couldn't justify the cost to use it for like one month a year.

When I say that ds gets lost in the fabric when he's in there tummy to tummy, it's because the cotton doesn't lay flat, not because he's too small. It's hard to describe, but the pound just doesn't seem to lie correctly, then ds falls over into the fabric that's over my shoulder. Does that make sense? I dont' think using a receiving blanket would help any.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

papal
02-28-2004, 07:21 PM
That is too bad.. the KKAFP would definitely be too warm where you live. I am not quite sure i understand what i going on with your pouch.. i am no expert at it.. but maybe in the babywearing yahoo group they could offer you some solutions?
I have heard good things about the MnM pouches...hmmm.. maybe i should look at one of those.

deborah_r
02-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Deb -

I think you can get about 6 months use out of a Mom and Me hemp pouch. I am in Southern California and have been using it since December, but I think I could have used it from November until probably May. Not sure about the May part yet, we'll see. But I love the Mom and me pouch, so easy and quick, I always grab that one when I'm running out the door!

Edited to clarify - 6 months out of the year, not that it will only last 6 months!!!

megulis
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I would try the Maya Adjustable Pouch. The fabric actually moves to contour your shoulder. I love the natural color. Mine looks like sage.

I'm not online much, but I have Jan's Slings, Kozy carrier, MnM Pouch, Maya Adjustable Pouch, and a few pouches I made. I love all of them, but definitely for the diaper bag I use the Maya. For long carries I use the Kozy. The MnM pouch I love when the fit is right which is at times difficult to make, but I tend to no longer use because of his weight. I also don't use Jan's Sling because of the same issue although I liked using it to nurse him in the beginning.

I'm 5'1.5" 135 lbs 36D, and my son is 20.5 lbs 6 months.