PDA

View Full Version : Does this soft carrier exist?

chlobo
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm looking for a soft carrier (sort of like the baby bjorn):

1. When worn on front, the baby can face me or face out
2. When worn on back, the baby faces my back
3. Can be worn on the hip

Is there one that does that?

jasabo
03-16-2004, 01:09 PM
I think the Baby Trekker matches all these criteria, though I'm not sure about the hip carry. Also, check the Kozy - not sure about the hip carry with that either. And the asian style carriers (like an Ellaroo), though they're not like the Bjorn. But they'd enable you to carry in all those positions.

Lisa

redhookmom
03-16-2004, 02:25 PM
I think the Ergo and the fits your requirements.

PookaMama
03-16-2004, 05:50 PM
The Baby Trekker does baby facing you or facing out on front and back, but they don't give instructions for hip carry. Maybe you could manage that, but I'm not quite sure how.

The Ergo is good for baby facing you on front and back - no facing out. You could do the hip carry with the older model, but not with the new version.

Another option would be a wrap. You could go with a woven (EllaRoo, Girasol, Didymos, etc.) or a knit (Moby Wrap, Baby Bundler, Hug-a-Bub, etc.). The wovens are a little better for back carries, though you can do a back carry with some of the knit wraps (the HaB is too narrow for back carries in my opinion). The knit wraps are better for baby facing out on front because of the way you tie first and then pop baby in, but this can be accomplished with a woven wrap as well.

An Asian-style carrier like the Kozy Carrier, Equanimity Baby Mei Tai, Baby Back Tie, etc. would be able to do all of these positions comfortably. Not as structured as a Baby Bjorn, but certainly more versatile and more comfortable.

I actually choose different carriers for each of these options, so it's hard to pick one that's perfect for everything. I use a Moby Wrap for front facing out, a Moby Wrap or EllaRoo for front facing in, a Kozy or Ergo for back carries, and a ring sling or pouch for hip carries.

Ok, I hope that didn't confuse you too much! :) Good luck with your decision!

Eloise36
03-22-2004, 11:52 PM
A Wilkinet may meet your requirements. You can carry the baby facing in or out, in front, as well as on the back or hip. Here's the link...

http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/

new_mommy25
03-23-2004, 02:33 AM
The Sutemi might work for you. It meets all your requirements. I don't have one but I've been eyeing them for a while. :)
http://store.peppermint.com/sutemi-pack.html

new_mommy25
03-23-2004, 02:34 AM
>An Asian-style carrier like the Kozy Carrier, Equanimity Baby
>Mei Tai, Baby Back Tie, etc. would be able to do all of these
>positions comfortably. Not as structured as a Baby Bjorn, but
>certainly more versatile and more comfortable.

How do you wear your baby on your hip with a Kozy? I'd like to learn that.

Eloise36
03-24-2004, 03:36 AM
>The Ergo is good for baby facing you on front and back - no
>facing out. You could do the hip carry with the older model,
>but not with the new version.

How do you do the hip carry using an older style Ergo?

sirensrise
03-25-2004, 04:05 AM
>
>How do you wear your baby on your hip with a Kozy? I'd like
>to learn that.
try the yahoo group or the babywearer group, kelley would describe it a hundred times better than i can. she or someone would usually write out very detailed descriptions there.

hjdong
03-26-2004, 12:45 AM
You connect one of the straps to the opposite buckle on the webbing part of the waistband, so that the padded part of the arm strap goes across you chest diagonally. Put the strap over your head and then fasten the waistband (Take off the reinforcement strap that normally goes across the upper back or chest - I usually store them in the little pocket so they don't get lost). After the baby is in the carrier and centered, connect the other shoulder strap around your waist to the other buckle on the webbing part of the waistband, so that it basically creates another waistband. I'm not sure how much sense that makes - it's kind of hard to explain. Let me know if you need more clarification.

sirensrise
03-26-2004, 03:05 AM
i find the sutemi uncomfortable, the cross in front is not exactly nursing friendly for a lot of women. i most find the neck hurts. the strap is also too side for my shoulders.JMHO

Eloise36
03-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the instructions! I am going to try the hip carry with my Ergo tonight :) I will post some more questions if I have any.