PDA

View Full Version : Good newborn carrier for use by mom with a busy toddler

michlee
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone-

I have a very active 22 month old ds and am expecting baby #2 in a few months. I used a Bjorn with my first baby and didn't really like it for the usual reasons, (uncomfortable if worn for long stretches, baby outgrew by 7 months, etc.) so now I'm looking for something else to use with baby #2.

Based on previous posts, It seems like the KKAFP is the way to go because: it seems fairly easy to use (I'm a carrier novice and a little intimiated by ring slings and tying); is suitable for a newborn; and people really seem to like it.

So, I have a couple of questions: 1. Are there any other carriers I should be looking at?, and 2. Please don't laugh but is the KKAFP safe? I'm having nightmares of the baby falling out of the pouch while I'm chasing my 2yo, lifting him into a shopping cart, etc.

Thanks! -Michelle

yitlan
04-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I am where you are about to be! ACTIVE toddler and newborn. I would encourage you to try "tying," even though you are nervous about it. I use a Simply Attached sling and baby is VERY secure in it. I don't worry about her falling out at all, though you still gotta have a hand on 'em for extra measure, I say. Anyway, consider a wraparound style.

[link:www.cafewed.com|Cafe Wed - Tasteful Wedding Finds]
An Authorized DBS Rep

[link:www.sign2speak.com|Sign2Speak - Helping Babies Sign Before They Can Speak]

cma
04-06-2004, 05:26 PM
My KKAFP was my first and is my favorite sling. I am sad to give it up, but here in California - it's just too hot to wear during the day! It's perfectly safe. With a newborn, I loved it for the Cradle Hold and the Tummy to Tummy positions. It was easy to throw on, pop baby in and chase after DD.

As for looking for other carriers that aren't ring slings or ties...the Ergo now has a newborn accessory pillow thing that you may want to look into. I like our Ergo, but I need help getting DS onto my back. It's mainly for DD since I didn't want to deal with a double stroller.

Good Luck!