PDA

View Full Version : Good one to start with?

RwnMayfair
03-29-2004, 04:20 PM
I was curious if anyone had any recommendations of a sling, or pouch, or wrap to start with. (Or any recommendations of what to start with as a general style and then maybe something specific in that style?) Taran lived in his Baby Bjorn for his first two months, and absolutely loved being there with us, but started to reach a point of where he was too heavy to constantly carry around in it. Basically, the X in the back would ride up and I would find myself arching forward to feel like he was sitting properly. Now, I can adjust the X back downwards, but I'm more likely to suddenly notice that I'm arching forward that to remember to pay attention to where the X is. And of course, too much of this arching gets to be hard on my back.

I still like the Bjorn, but I don't think it's working quite as well as it used to for around the house and would like something that offers more positions anyway. He's not a baby who necessarily has to be constantly carried around, but he just enjoys being close anyway, and it'd be nice to have the option. I've read through a whole bunch of posts here, and my head has been spinning with all of the options. ;) Does anyone have any suggestions for a first timer who up until now hasn't used anything more than the Bjorn? He's a bit over four months now, is 26.5 inches long and weighs probably about 15 and a half lbs and is only going to get heavier. ;) It'd be nice if it was something that could last us awhile and where he could be worn in more than just the two positions offered by the Bjorn. ;)

Thanks in advance!

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003

robmab719
03-29-2004, 09:42 PM
I would recommend one of the stretchy wraps, like the Moby or the Hug-a-Bub. They do have a bit of a learning curve, but they distribute the weight evenly across both shoulders, so they are more ergonomically-friendly than a pouch. I love my KKACP, but I feel really lopsided wearing it. It's very difficult to have good posture when wearing it. (And my DD is not quite as long as your DS, but she is every bit of 15 1/2 lbs...probably closer to 16.)

Also, I've heard that the stretchy wraps are easier to use than the woven wraps (like Ellaroo), so you might want to try one of the stretchy ones first, then move up to the woven ones later if you like.

The other thing you might consider is a Kozy, though the waiting list is currently over a month. It would definitely last you a while though and, like the others I've mentioned, it has even weight distribution.

mommd
03-29-2004, 10:00 PM
I have a hug-a-bub that I LOVE!!! It's really easy to get the hang of, and I barely feel the 13 pounds. I've never used one, but I think a Moby wrap is similar and cheaper. Also, if you are not sure you will like a stretchy wrap, you can always make your own at first to try it. HTH!

papal
03-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Melissa, I was just going to say that I have the Moby and a KKACP and now a solarveil KK sling and a KKAFP. If you want to try any of these IRL before buying, lmk! I would be more than happy to show them to you. In your intro you said you were in NoVA.. i am in Alexandria.

RwnMayfair
03-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Rashmi,

Thank you so much for the offer! We're overseas visiting my husband right now, and then will be leaving to visit my mother for about a month while my husband finishes up things here before we finally come home again to the DC area. (I swear, we'll have been more or less travelling for two months or so once all this travel is over. But at least it's all been with family!) Once we're finally back, we'll be with my Dad in Springfield until we buy a house in the next few months.

So I might buy one in the meantime, but I'd still definitely be interested in trying yours after we're finally home. That way I get a chance to see even more of them, which I suspect would be really useful. :) (And potentially lead me to more. ::chuckle::)

I'm mildly clueless as to how one sends a Private Message right now, otherwise I'd send you one to work out details. ::blush:: I'll have to see if I can figure all that out...

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003