PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite use for each of your carriers?

Gayletmomto4
04-19-2004, 10:15 PM
I have been perusing some of the posts here and note many references that say things like "I use different carriers for different purposes" or "No one carrier can do it all". I currently own a KKFP and a Zolo and am seriously considering a Hug a Bub. I'd love to hear what each of you think are the best uses of each of these and also for other carriers.

Gayle

kristine3kids
04-19-2004, 11:33 PM
hmmm.... When I'm out and about doing yard work I use a Asian carrier on my back. When I'm shopping I use a Baby Space AP. If its a long trip with DH I use Asian or a wrap carrier. If DD is cranky and tired I use either my Podaegi or Asian carrier in back position. If I'm running erands without any of my kids I bring a pouch or BSAP and use it to carry pakages or shopping bags, I liek to carry my pakages into the post office with a sling and then anything in from the car in a sling and with hands full as well to get it all in one trip. LOL! My 7 yr old fatty cat like to be in teh sling as well! I have a 100% unbleached cotton that the catnip clings to very well! He Loves this one!

new_mommy25
04-20-2004, 03:39 AM
If I'm around the house doing house work like dishes i wear DS on my back in the Kozy.
If I'm around the house and DS is fussy I wear him in my KKAFP.
If I'm going on a long walk or a long shopping trip I wear my Kozy tummy to tummy.
If I'm just making a quick trip in and out somewhere I wear my Zolo because it has a pocket for my keys and wallet.
If I'm going somewhere "fancy" I wear the Zolo.
If I anticipate I'll have to BF I wear the Zolo or another ring sling.
If it's really cold I wear the KKAFP.
If I need full use of my arms I wear the Kozy.
If I'm bringing the stroller I bring a ring sling or hot sling because they fold the most compactly.

Then of course the most imporant question when out: which one matches your outfit the best.

lizamann
04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
KKAFP - (not a favorite of mine, BTW) on short walks when it's cooler outside; quick runs down to the mail box, moving the laundry along; errands in the car where we'll be getting in and out a lot

Ring slings (like Zolo) - when going somewhere where I'll be
breastfeeding on the move; short walks; my favorite for things like parties, playgroups

Stretchy wraps (like Hug a Bub) - on longer walks. This is my favorite for real transportation. Walk to the bus, train, shopping around the neighborhood. I also use this on short walks when I'll want to pop baby out at the destination, like to the coffee shop. She also falls asleep in this, and I've eaten many meals with her on my front in the HaB. FWIW, this is the type of carrier that I use the most.

I think a Hug a Bub would be a great addition to your collection. Everyone needs a 2-shouldered carrier, imo! This way you'll be covered for everything except a 2-shouldered back carry (for which you'll need a Kozy...)

papal
04-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Let's see...
- KKAFP when it is cold out.. keeps dd snug as a bug.
- KK Solarveil Sling for a short walk or when it is HOT outside.. used it a lot this past weekend.
- Moby on long walks

PookaMama
04-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Great question!

- Housework, taking out the trash, any other time I need to hold Fallon and have my hands completely free: Ergo or Kozy
- Outdoor walks when it's warm and I don't need to carry much of anything (I don't like to wear her on my back when I have to worry about a diaper bag - I use a backpack. This might change when I get my new Ergo Back Sack that straps onto the carrier. :D): Ergo or Kozy
- Outdoor walks when I want Fallon snuggled up close, when it's too cold/windy to have her on my back (or when she might throw her hat off and I can't catch it!), when I'll be out for a while and need to bring along a diaper bag, when I'm going on the subway: Moby Wrap or EllaRoo Wrap
- Quick up and downs: Ergo or EllaRoo Lightly Padded Sling
- Somewhere "fancy" (Not that this has happened lately!): Silk Zolo or EllaRoo LP or EllaRoo wrap depending on what matched my outfit and how much I expected to carry her. Last time I went out I ended up in black and wearing Fallon in a Mary EllaRoo for most of the evening. The time before that I wore my red EllaRoo LP like a sash and scooped her up and popped her in as needed.
- Nap time, or any time I'm having difficulty getting Fallon to sleep: Moby Wrap

And every now and then I'll switch it up by pulling out something else that I don't normally use and playing with that again for a while. But if I really had to (please don't make me!) I could narrow my stash down to just what's listed above.

My daughter is almost 17 months old now. I think my answers would have been completely different 6 months ago. For one, my ring slings were getting a lot more use then than they are now.

BandCJsMom
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I agree with everyone. I also find that my answers would be different based on the age of my child.

Asian Carrier-When I need two hands free and I want to do somthing in the front (gardening, working in DD's co-op preschool, cooking). I also prefer to wear this for his naps etc.

KKAFP-Great for newborns and chilly days.

Sling-BF on the go. When I need to wear him but I also want to sit down (meetings or church). Days he needs less stimuli. I also think the ring slings are a bit dressier.

HTHs,
Beth N