PDA

View Full Version : JEN & SAMUEL - what can we do????????

toomanystrollers
04-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok mamas, what can we do to help? Any ideas?? Any BBB members in her surrounding area (South Prairie, WA) that could assist in any deliveries?

pritchettzoo
04-23-2004, 04:55 PM
I just read a post over at MDC about sending the "good" disposables to her since her son will need them for chemo. If there's someone in the area who'd be willing to take paypal donations and then buy the diapers (or food or...) and take them over, that might be helpful.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm sending huge thoughts, prayers and healing vibes her way!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal
04-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Gosh.. that is terrible news. I was just thinking of buying my first MnM pouch the other day. Is there a way to mail the dispies, incase nobody lives close by? Or since the MDC folk are sending her dispies, could we at BBB send something else that would be useful? How about some yummy food for her son? You know, those pre-packaged, one cup for one meal kinds?? How old is her son? Maybe he is too old for baby food?

toomanystrollers
04-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Ok, over at MDC - someone mentioned www.schwans.com delivers to Jen's area and I found an Albertson's in the nearby area. I'm waiting to hear from Jen's list about their food preferences (vegatarian or not) and then I'm hoping to send something off to them.

Momof3Labs
04-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Honestly, if we are going to do anything, I'd just send them money. Or American Express gift checks (which can be used anywhere). With Jen unable to work (or working less) and the doctor/hospital bills (insurance deductibles/co-pays, whatever), they may be pretty strapped for a while. If we send them some money, they can use it wherever it is needed.

JMHO!

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-23-2004, 09:04 PM
My suggestion is for everyone to go out and register to be a bone marrow donor!!!!!! Which not only "helps" leukemia patients it actually can restore their life 100%.Sorry typing one handed....but this involves little when I went on the registry I went to a local high school in MD and I think was interviewed (educated) and I donated a sample of blood. I have spoken with the registry since and now they have more matching abilities then back then.
I have always felt I would be a bone marrow donor sine I was a teen....

I don't know I think it is awesome for our community to come out and help folks and stuff so I am not disuading folks from doing something financial in the least. But I know several are active in many groups and might not feel like financially they can give for the so many tragic situations that we all see happen to our friends, family and selves....But I know in my case I am active in many circles....a neighborhood of 800 plus homes, bunco, garden club, wine club, mommy groups, supper club,this community, my adoption communities and then you add friends, hubby's work and family there are a lot of folks to collect for for joyeous events and then sad ones. I think collections are great for those who chose to do that but wanted to give another example of a huge gift that one can give in honor of a family as well...

I hope this is not mistaken for my intention, for I wrote a very similiar response but so much better written about a year ago that said almost the same thing and it blew up to be ugly...so I almost didn't post this but I do think it nice to offer another gift suggestion that all can participate in if they chose.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone here as we see our dear friends have bumps in the road that it is hard for me to pick and chose when and where and what to participate in...here and in life in general.

I have thought about Jen and her family all day ...and am just crushed they have to go thru this...but am optimistic and full of prayers for them.

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

papal
04-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Neve, this is indeed a very good idea. I had no idea that anyone can become a bone marrow donor (like for blood)... i thought you had to be related to the person. Thanks for the suggestion.

Momof3Labs
04-23-2004, 09:59 PM
When someone needs a bone marrow transplant (BMT), family members are screened first. But if a perfect match (scored on a scale of 10) isn't found within the family, they may go to the national bone marrow registry since a "10" significantly increases the chance of the BMT "taking". I know a few people who have registered but have never been called; the chances are pretty slim, but if you are called, it is a pretty simple way to save someone's life.

DH is a bone marrow recipient and Leukemia/cancer survivor, now almost 12 years post transplant. His oldest brother was a perfect match and donated in the morning, then was back drinking in the bars by the afternoon (*sigh*).

I also agree with Neve that no one should feel obligated to give anything; I know that Jen asks for nothing more than your positive thoughts!!

mommd
04-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Neve,

That is a great idea. Do you know if you can just go to the Red Cross for this?

toomanystrollers
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
FYI: Bone Marrow Donations:

http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/donor_information_idx.html

I send Jen & Mark a book entitled "Cure of Childhood Leukemia: Into the Age of Miracles" - I just remember how much reading kept my mom calm and sane when I spent a lengthy stay at the hospital as a kid.

new_mommy25
04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
On the topic of disposables...

Maybe we can all buy a pack from Amazon and have it shipped to her. I wish I was still in WA, I would take them to her in a second...

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I am not really sure, I will try to find one of my bone marrow magazines that they send every year or so and see what I can post here....

The beauty of this, like Laura said,is there is little inconvience- you really not only better someones life, or give them a few years (which in itself is so worth it) BUT you actually save it and give them back a 100% perfectly normal life.

I know it involves a certain amount of tiny scars (IF EVER MATCHED AND YOU DONATE NOT TO SCREEN) in your buttocks area, and I can't help but think if they were scars of saving someones life they'd be more than welcome on me....

Certain minority populations are really at a need for a strong recruiting of donors in the registry, my last magazine had a n article about that...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

toomanystrollers
04-24-2004, 06:54 AM
It was mentioned on MDC, that Amazon doesn't deliver to PO boxes :( unless someone has Jen's physical address.

new_mommy25
04-24-2004, 04:43 PM
THere was just a thread posted with an update and the name of her hospital. Maybe we could send a card and flowers, or baloon and stuffed animal for Samuel. Just brainstorming here...

sirensrise
04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
> With Jen unable to work (or working less) and the
>doctor/hospital bills (insurance deductibles/co-pays,
>whatever), they may be pretty strapped for a while. If we
>send them some money, they can use it wherever it is needed.
>
i agree, every cent will help. worrying about losing the house is the last thing they need. i cant imagine how many diapers they are going to receive, what if Samual grow out of the size? Jen should not "have to " go back to work.

BandCJsMom
04-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I live in WA, about 30 minutes from South Prairie and Children's Hosp. I never knew that she was that close to me. I'm totally willing to make a delivery if someone wants to.

I think it is interesting how attached we get to people we meet on-line and never meet in real person. I think it says a lot for the human spirit.

Our prayers are with her family.

Beth N

calebsmama03
04-25-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree, Lori. I think that the MDC mamas have the sposie thing covered and some local mamas are doing a "round robin" for taking dinner over once they're out of the hospital, so I think that money is the best way to go. That way it doesn't limit them at all and they can put it to whatever use is most urgent for them. I am going to send her a card with some money later this week. FWIW, I think that any amount is helpful, but also know that some people might be hestitant or embarassed to send something they feel is "too little" to bother with (gosh - I hope I worded that right - not trying to be rude or anything of the sort!!) If there is anyone who wants to send a little something but can't afford much (ie: just a few dollars), I'd be happy to go in with you and include it in my card to her. Please PM or e-mail me off boards if you'd like.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

SeanaRain
04-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Jen has given permission for her physical address to be given out since people are having difficulty having things shipped to her PO Box. Her address is as follows:

Jen Backus
322 2nd St E
South Prairie, WA 98385

sirensrise
04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
> I think that the MDC mamas have the sposie
>thing covered

sorry, what is sposie and what is MDC?

>I am going to send her a card with some money

i am curious, do you guys do check, cash paypal or what? i want to send her some money, but i cant decide which form, any suggestions?

>some people might be hestitant or
>embarassed to send something they feel is "too little" to
>bother with (gosh - I hope I worded that right - not trying to
>be rude or anything of the sort!!) If there is anyone who
>wants to send a little something but can't afford much (ie:
>just a few dollars), I'd be happy to go in with you and
>include it in my card to her. Please PM or e-mail me off
>boards if you'd like.
that is very nice of you IMO.

calebsmama03
04-26-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm going to do either check or paypal.