PDA

View Full Version : Ergo or Kozy?

essnce629
04-26-2004, 05:09 AM
I'm looking for a carrier to use strictly in the back carry position. I have no desire to use it in the front carry positon at all. I think I've narrowed it down to the Ergo and the Kozy. I also checked out the Sutemi but I don't think I would want some huge padded straps binding my chest, especially since I'm breastfeeding.

Here's some information on me: I'm 5'7 and fairly thin (124 lbs). I already have a KKAFP and a cotton zolo which I use to carry my son in the hip carry position when were out running errands. I love them both. My son is 8 months old, about 19lbs, and 28 inches long.

What I'm looking for:
Something that's not too hot because I live in sunny CA and I plan on using it mostly to do chores around the house (washing dishes, vacuuming, etc.) and don't want to work up a sweat.

Something that doesn't bind my chest.

Something that is fairly easy to put on without help because I'm home alone.

Any suggestions? And where are the cheapest places to buy them? Thanks in advance.

DeeEast
04-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I've got an Ergo that I love and I'm getting a Kozy soon so I'll let you know. So far I just love the Ergo for doing just the same things you said you wanted it for, working around the house. We also use it when we're out and DD gets sick of the stroller. She loves it and bounces and smiles in it. At first it didn't feel comfortable to me but after I "broke" it in so to speak, now it feels great. I'm looking forward to trying to Kozy though. I got my Ergo at Peppermint.com. It was a good price but I did get slightly ticked off when two days after I bought it and paid for it, it went on sale for 15% lower than what I paid. But its probably my fault for not emailing and complaining when I found out about the sale.

sirensrise
04-26-2004, 10:26 AM
>Here's some information on me: I'm 5'7 and fairly thin (124
>lbs). My son is 8 months old, about
>19lbs, and 28 inches long.
wow, we are exactly the same height and weight! dd is also 8 month old! a little less than 19 lbs(18lbs 6 ozs two weeks ago)and i think a lot shorter!
>
>What I'm looking for:
>Something that's not too hot because I live in sunny CA and I
>plan on using it mostly to do chores around the house (washing
>dishes, vacuuming, etc.) and don't want to work up a sweat.

i have both ergo and kozy, love them both. it took me a looong time to love the ergo though.
here is the pro and cons for me
ergo is much faster to get on and off.it is cooler because the baby is not as close to you as a kozy(it is a disadvantage to some)if i use a back carrier for a long time, i reach for the ergo, the weight on the hip part helps me. it is also more mainstream looking which is a plus for me at least on occasions.
cons for ergo, the FIT, for some people it just does not work. there is only one way to tie it. the front carry does not work very well(for me). since we are the same size, i can tell you that you need a modified one. (the original has a waist band at 28 inches to start!they can modify it to 24)and i HATED it in the beginning. i felt like i was going to tip over any time!the seat area is only to babys armpit, (dd is shorter than your ds), eventhough it is supposed to be ok with a toddler, i am waiting to see how it is going to fit dd when she is taller.

the kozy is absolutely wonderful. it can be tied so many ways that you are likely to find a way works for you. a lot more fabric choices, you can even send your own. the baby is closer to you so you know her movement better(safer in my opinion since they are so grabby)the costumer service is wonderful. the head support is great if baby need to sleep. the ergo head support is very loud to put on, and useless when it is on. plus i cant even reach it.it is smaller to carry around if you are going out.
the cons, the straps are long, if you are not careful, it might drag on the ground. you have to tie it, cant snap it, so it takes longer to put on. it is a little less sleek looking
>

>
>Something that is fairly easy to put on without help because
>I'm home alone.
both are easy to put on.
>
>
>
>Any suggestions? And where are the cheapest places to buy
>them? Thanks in advance.
ergos do come by used, but if you do need a modified version, i dont know how that is going to work. (unless you talk to the maker see if they would do it on a used one, they charge 10 on a new one) the kozy does not come by too often in used,(i have seen one on ebay)there is a wait on kozy, i dont know how long it is now.
hope that helps.let me know if you have more ?s
>
>

Vajrastorm
04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
They can make it skinnier???

I have an ergo from a friend and I like it but the hip fit is a bit off.

writermama
04-26-2004, 11:00 PM
>Any suggestions? And where are the cheapest places to buy them?

I bought an Ergo last week from Willowbean -- in stock, good price, fast free shipping, and excellent customer service. Oh! I just checked the site and they're on vacation until June 1st.

I almost bought one from pookababy.com -- even better price and free shipping from Canada -- but I needed it sooner than I could be sure it would arrive from Canada.

thebabywearer.com has a list of Ergo vendors, making it easy to comparison shop.

I love my Ergo so far. It's the only carrier I have that hubby wants to use. I may also get a Kozy one day ... this is an addictive habit. ;) Oh well, at least it's less expensive than collecting strollers.

Good luck!

sirensrise
04-27-2004, 03:26 AM
>They can make it skinnier???
>

well, they can make it so the hip would fit start 24" instead of 28", if that helps.

essnce629
04-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Thanks so much everyone.

sirensrise-- thanks for warning me about the fit of the Ergo's waist strap. My natural waist is 26 1/4 inches right now (25 inches pre-pregnancy) so I would definately need the strap adjusted smaller if I was to go with the Ergo.

I'm still undecided. I wish I could try them both out in real life before making my decision. The same thing happened with my sling decision back when I was still pregnant. I narrowed it down to the KKAFP and a zolo and just ended up buying both :). Anyone in San Diego with an Ergo or Kozy for me to try out? That would be great.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel