PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable pouch for warm weather

ginamlee
04-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Like another mommy who posts here, I appear to be a ring sling dope, too. :) I love, love, love my pouches.

I'd like an adjustable cotton pouch that has some stretch to it. I've never tried the KKACP, although I LOVE my KKAFP. The reviews seem quite mixed.

I'm curious about Hotslings, especially with a padded leg rail, but I'm concerned about the lack of adjustability.

I think I read that Maya has an adjustable cotton pouch, but it doesn't have any stretch. I really do better with stretch, as found in the KKAFP.

Is there any pouch out there like what I am looking for? Or should I just try the KKACP?

sntm
04-28-2004, 12:23 AM
oooh, i wanna know too. fell in love with nita's MnM (and could have used it tonight (shiver)) but too warm for summer.

i like 'em stretchy too. hotslings seem nice and cheap which is an advantage if you want to try one.

opinions, everybody?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

new_mommy25
04-28-2004, 02:40 AM
I have Maya adj. pouch and I really like it. The fact that it does not stretch really doesn't bother me.

This may sound silly but I was scared of non-adjustable pouches for a really long time. I think my main problem was that I was afraid it would not fit right and I would have to return it mulitple times, kwim? One day I wandered into this absolutely awesome baby store and I actually happened to find some OTSBH and non-adj. pouches stuck in there by the Bjorns and Nojo's. The pouches were 100% handwoven cotton and gorgeous colors like the Maya's. I immediately tried them on and I LOVED it. Let me just say it is now one of my favorites, and it only cost $20. I bought two, a solid, and a multi striped. They fold up so tiny in the diaper bag, they are easy to pop DS in and out of, it's comfortable, blah, blah, blah. It's also light and cool for summer. I hate how sweaty DS would get in the KKAFP.

I could go on and on. Seriously, go for the hotsling. If you like, get the stretch. Even if it turns out to be the most horrible thing ever, they are cheap, and someone will buy it from you.

nitaghei
04-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I love my Hotsling. It's 100% cotton, but has a little give. Kristen does have some fabrics with Lycra, if you prefer stretch. I used mine last summer, and pulled it out again for more frequent use. The cotton Hotsling is the one that lives in my diaper bag. And for summer use, I really don't see the need for adjustability. I liked the MnM for the winter, when I could change it around to use it over a coat as well as without a coat.

I did try Rashmi's KKACP - and I definitely prefer the Hotsling. Just talk with Kristen about the correct way to measure yourself before ordering. I messed up, and the first sling I got was too small. She was great about replacing it with the correct size, and offered excellent trouble shooting advice. Kristen has terrific customer service.

I tried to attach a picture of my Hotsling - but the system won't let me. :(

ETA
Pic deleted

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/5012.jpg

papal
04-28-2004, 11:00 AM
I am waiting for my hotsling as i do not feel the KKACP love. If you are a medium in a KKACP and you want to try it out, lmk, i can mail it to you. I am washing it today in the hope that it will shrink some, because it is a bit large. I find the back snaps fold-over part to be a bit uncomfortable. Also, it does not provide as much 'coverage' at the back because of the fold (wish i had a digital camera to show you what i mean!!)... not enought fabric to spread out over the back. It is pretty 'stretchy' though imo.

BeachBaby
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Nita,

Do you find that Neel still fits well in the Hotsling? I was concerned b/c it isn't adjustable that as the baby grows it might not fit anymore. Did you not find this to be the case?

Thanks!
Megan

nitaghei
04-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Yes, he still fits perfectly well. I think that's the great thing about slings - you can use the same one from new-born to toddler. Obviously, I'm not able to a kangaroo carry with a toddler, but he's just fine in a hip carry.

Nita (lusting for a Kozy now)

BeachBaby
04-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh, great! One more question, do you have the leg padding? If not, it sounds like its not a problem with the Hip Carry?

nitaghei
04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't have the leg rail, but I sort of wish I had got it. The advantage of the basic sling is that it's very compact - I can fold it and put it in my pocket, if I need to. But I think it's more comfortable for the baby for longer term use (more than 20 minutes or so) if there's some padding. I have the rail on my MnM, and I really like it.

Nita

ginamlee
04-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Oh my goodness! That is just AWESOME! HOW FUNNY!!! Who says that dogs aren't people?

And, okay...I recognize your sling, Neel's hat and your stroller....I think I've been hanging around here too long!

I'm going to talk with Kristin about how to measure correctly and give the hotsling a try. I think I'll get padded rails. When I use the sling, I tend to keep her in there for extended periods.

ginamlee
04-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Rashmi,
Thank you for your offer. I think I'm going to try out a Hotsling. I can already feel the fold-over snap part on my back...doesn't sound comfy.

new_mommy25
04-29-2004, 01:48 AM
LOVE the picture!! Neel and the doggy look so comfy.

new_mommy25
04-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Also, if you want a solid color, tentoes has some that are gorgeous. I want one in rasberry.
http://www.tentoes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TM&Product_Code=pouch

jec2
04-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Angie,

I'm interested to know more and/or see more about these pouches you love! Who makes these? Where did you get it? Can I see a picture? Thanks so much