PDA

View Full Version : What is the best backpack carrier?

turkeysinturkey
04-30-2004, 08:20 PM
We are looking to switch from our front carrier (Baby Bjorn) to our first backpack carrier. We have read the reviews, are very familiar with Kelty and other camping equipment brands, but still don't know which ones are worth the money.

This is our first child. He is 8 months old, average weight and height and we would like to use this backpack carrier from now until he outgrows it. We do plan on having more children and would like for the carrier to last through other children. We love outdoor activities, do a lot of hiking, traveling and other activities that necesitate a well-built carrier. We aren't looking to be spend thrifts or for the most expensive carrier but would like something of great quality for a middle of the road price. We are willing to spend a little more money for something of great quality that will last.

Any suggestions or personal experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, we are located overseas with the military and need a brand that is available to be shipped overseas. Because we are not near any stores, we are unable to "try on" different brands. The more specific you can be the better.
Thanks!

ELTAZ
04-30-2004, 08:22 PM
WOW! Great minds think alike, huh?! (You and I posted the EXACT same thing at the EXACT same time!) Hopefully we'll get some great advice!!!

-Elizabeth
P.S. My DH is in the military, too, though we're in the states for now. :)

jec2
04-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I don't know a lot about the backpack carriers. We spontaneously (sans research) bought a Kelty Meadow and it works great for our needs. However, somebody recently posted about some for a GREAT deal on ebay. These were new packs made by a well-known and reputable bike maker that decided to not pursue packs (if I'm recalling correctly). I took a look at them and thought they looked great and wish I had known about them two weeks earlier.

However, you can just do a search on backpacks and see if maybe you can find that post (it was maybe two weeks ago).

ETA: It's the Yakima Grasshopper (I see someone's post asking about it) Do a search on ebay & you should find it. I think it looks like a GREAT pack for a GREAT price :)

kijip
04-30-2004, 11:13 PM
For high quality and a middle of the road price try the REI Piggyback! We have one and love it. As a serious backpacker in my pre baby days, I can say that this pack has a lot of great features and is built to last. I had not expected to like it so much since in general I hate REI made packs but I have been very nicely surprised. It runs between $100 and $200. As a wet Seattle dweller I have to say that the optional rain cover can not be beat.

turkeysinturkey
05-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Elizabeth -

Great minds DO think alike!!! Hopefully we will get some replies. I have read two so far and I am going to check out both recommendations. We are currently in Turkey and absolutely love this assignment!

Cheers for now -

turkeysinturkey
05-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Juliet,

Thank you so much for the information. I had read about these backpacks (Yukima) and I will do a little more research and check them out on e-bay. Your advice has really helped!

turkeysinturkey
05-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Katie -

I had not thought about REI as I am of the same thought regarding their backpacks. However, I do have some friends that swear by them. I will check this out. It is great to see information from someone that "was" a serious backpacker. I still try to get out with the little one, but he certainly makes it more challenging! Does your husband enjoy the backpack and find it comfortable? My husband is tall and pretty lean. He really wants to be able to carry Dane, also. Thanks for the advice!

hipmaman
05-03-2004, 12:10 AM
To throw in the mix, I would recommend the MacPac brand. There are three models with different features, prices and usages. You can check them out here http://www.macpac.co.nz/layout/do,products/ go to Product Range drop-down menu and select Tramp/Trek Child Carriers to see all the MacPac carriers.

There are also authorised dealers that you find find, but if you are to buy in the US, here is the place to buy it from http://www.kiwi-kid.com/MacPac_Child_Carriers.html The MacPac is widely available in some parts of Europe too.

I have more pictures available on my website below my signature (end of this message).

There are so many other carriers. Kelty mades good carriers, but dh at 5'10" and myself at 5'6" with average built, we found them biggish.

Check carriers by Bush Baby (UK company) http://www.bush-baby.com/. Hardymom has this one and loves it. For those available in the US, there are Madden, Tough Traveller, Vaude, Deuter, Jack Wolfskin, etc.

Do a search on backpacks, child carriers, etc. there bounds to be some discussions on the different backpacks.

candybomiller
05-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I have the MacPac Possum and I absolutely love it. I've had a lot of back trouble in the past, but the Possum was so comfortable that I didn't even notice that I was really wearing it. My son loves riding in it too.

My only caution is, watch out for price conversion. I ended up paying over $400 for mine when all was said and done. Kind of a lot of money.

sadie427
05-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi, I just posted this on the other thread as well, but I'd recommend looking into Deuter and Madden brands. We used to backpack back in the pre-baby days so were picky about how the various carriers fit. IMO, these two brands fit more like an internal frame backpack, closer to your body, as opposed to the Kelty that we tried. And I think the REI's fit more similar to the Kelty. Also the low-end Kelty (the Meadow) had basically no storage space, unless you bought a separate zip-on thing, and even then the storage was at the top of the pack instead of down near your hips where I would think it should be for better weight distribution. We have a Deuter Kid Comfort II, it was around $200, I thought it was well worth it. Works great in airports too and you can put it into the overhead compartment (I hate the idea of gate-checking anything so that's a big plus for me.) I would imagine you could find one that could be shipped overseas--I think Deuter is German anyway.

hardysmom
05-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Just throwing this in... I had a Madden. While I saw great potential in it, it was definately made for taller people/ men. If you are at least 5'7" or DH does all of the carrying, it is a fantastic carrier, otherwise, you may find it uncomfortable.

Stephanie