PDA

View Full Version : i made an asian baby carrier (ABC, kozy) from rev jan's instructions! (pic)

zen_bliss
05-03-2004, 05:10 AM
I stayed up a good part of the night before her birthday making this. it was a pleasant little project and since i was up so late in the quiet wee hours, it became a sweet time to reflect on being up all night one year ago, pacing the halls in labor.

it is really not difficult to make. i made it complicated by compounding my basic sewing incompetence with ambition: a pattern that required symmetry, AND to really top off the challenge, i made it reversible -- brocade one side; solid velvet with ribbon midline on the other, which you can kind of see on the folded down flap. even with all that, it was only a few hours of work. i need to do a little stuffing in the straps for comfort and if i had to do it again, i would taper it at the base to not pull her legs so far apart, though as it is, i can flip the sides around to create padded rails, so maybe that's a boon.

wow, is it easy and comfortable! DH & I both used it most of the day walking around outdoors. it's fine to wear when not in use, or roll up and tie to stuff in the diaper bag, small even with the bulky velvet. it is a streamlined version of the wrap cross carry used with the fabric wraps, the x-long rebozo/girasol etc.

hope this inspires some of you to give it a try, especially if you are going mad on one of the waiting lists. if i can do it, you can!

[img src="http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/5293.jpg"]

lizamann
05-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Lovely!

houseof3boys
05-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Great job! Z looks so cute and happy as usual. You look great and I like your new hair color (wasn't it much lighter before or am I imagining that?).

I am so sewing incompetent that I don't think I will be able to master this kind of thing for a loooooooong time. Thanks for sharing. :)

bluej
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Wow! I'm impressed! I keep looking at my Kozy and wondering 'how difficult can this be?'. But then I remember I have trouble sewing in a straight line and yes, getting everything even on both sides seems overwhelming to me! But yes, those waiting lists are painful. I've been waiting for my Mei Tai for six weeks even though she said it would be four at most :( If it doesn't come soon I just might have to attempt this myself since my corduroy Kozy is too wintery looking for my taste as we go into May.

Jan Andrea
05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Wow, that looks terrific! What dimensions did you use for the body?

I have been thinking about making one for myself -- the first one I tried, I didn't like the way the straps turned out (revised the directions because of that), and I've been too busy since then to try another. I've also been thinking about incorporating an idea someone on The Babywearer had -- making the bottom of the carrier a partial casing, so the bottom ties thread through it (sewn in about 3" from the edges) allowing the carrier portion to be gathered inward. I think I would use snaps to keep the fabric in place when I was using it as a back carrier.

Here's the post on The babywearer: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1071

jec2
05-03-2004, 12:50 PM
How lovely! You did a great job from what I can tell. It might even inspire me to dust off my sewing machine and re-teach myself! What do you think the sling cost you to make it? I bet not more than the price of yard or so of fabric, right?

supercalifragilous
05-03-2004, 02:49 PM
That is just GORGEOUS!!!! What a luxurious sling - broacde and velvet! I was admiring the zolowear slings but DD is almost 13 months and too squirmy and big for a sling hip carry. Your carrier looks so secure and DD would LOVE to face outwards! I've never heard of rev jan... (I'm kinda new to the boards) Where did you get the instructions?

I couldn't see the brocade really well (the pic came out a little dark on my computer). It's hard to find in my area - did you get it at a local store or buy it online? Velvet is really hard to come by as well up here - everyone keeps telling me it's "seasonal" (which I guess is true, now that it's summer)... did you use a stretch velvet?

Jan Andrea
05-03-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm Rev. Jan (I stopped going by that online a while back, but it's still on my homepage because so many people "know" me by it). My directions are at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html and I also have links to the other major ABC-sewing pages there, so you can get a feel for the different approaches to sewing, carrier dimensions, etc.

toomanystrollers
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Very impressive :) You've inspired me to break out the sewing machine. I love her 'lil chubba arms & legs.

DebbieJ
05-03-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm so jealous! I was thinking of going on the Kozy waiting list, but maybe I'll have to dust off my sewing machine instead. While I love my Maya and Zolo, I want something that will go over both shoulders to distribute the weight of my little guy.

Hmm....

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

nitaghei
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Jan,

Are you making these carriers as well as slings? I just got some silk from India that I was going to ask you to do a custom sling - but a carrier would be even better!!

Could please email me at obedcocker @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)? TIA

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

heidi_timms
05-10-2004, 12:59 AM
So any tips with Rev Jan's pattern? Zen, how did you taper it at the bottom? Have you tried the back carry? I have a Sutemi, but I would love something a little bit more lightweight.

Rev. Jan, I wish you made back carriers on a regular basis! I can sew, but some things are worth buying from seasoned sewers!
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

signsing
05-10-2004, 03:02 AM
Wow, I just came across this thread as I have everything I need sitting waiting for me to sew one of these together. I'm making a denim one with white cotton ties. I am just figuring out how I want to make the straps, if I want to taper them or not, or pad them or not. I've been doing lots of cutting to sew diapers up and once I have a bunch ready to sew I'll be sewing this carrier and some dipes. I have to get it finished in the next week since I move in two weeks. My mom comes next weekend to help us finish up and then travel with the bay and I back to NY.
This looks a bit less complex to put on than my wraparound which I love. However it can be cumbersome when I'm sitting somewhere or out in a parking lot and I want to carry my son.
This has inspired me to get sewing though. I'll try to post a pic when I'm finished with it.
How do you reccomend doing the straps?
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

holliam
05-10-2004, 10:42 AM
To get my DH to make me one! lol

I'm using a slightly different design. I'm making a "Frankenkozy":

http://webpages.charter.net/dshiel0742/FrankenKozy.htm

I think it will work better because I'm a chunky mama and I was worried about the Kozy style straps digging into me. I like how this one is better.

I'm waiting for my twill to arrive but we got the decorative fabric in already. He's making me 2 reversible ones. :)

Holli

yellowdogmom
05-10-2004, 05:31 PM
What fun timing! I just made my first ABC last night, also with Rev. Jan's directions. I say "first" because now I'm totally hooked. The one I made is red twill and I also picked up a natural twill at the same time, and now I can't stop thinking about other fabrics I might want to use.

We're still waiting for our DS to come home, so I haven't officially tried it yet, but it sure is comfy with a baby doll in it! LOL!

Happy sewing everyone!