PDA

View Full Version : Need your expertise and advise regarding carrier for 8 month old

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
05-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I have been searching the archives and am overwhelmed with all the fantastic information! But, I am still confused as what my best options may be.

I have an 8 month old (DS#2) who I have been using in the Baby Bjorn, but it is getting quite uncomfortable on my back (he is around 18 lbs. I think). Also, while he loves being in it (he can go for 3+ hours) it is not always practical for me because he is right in front of me and I have a 2.5 year old DS as well.

My needs:
~ something that I can put on easily by myself when running errands with both kids - I often have DS #1 in shopping cart or stroller while carrying DS #2. I also usually put on/take off carrier in parking lot.

~ obviously something very comfortable. I end up carrying him quite a bit when we are outside, whether playing outside the house, zoo, etc.

~ a carrier he will enjoy. He does really enjoy looking around and being part of the action. I think that is why he can go for hours facing outward in the Bjorn.

~ a carier that will last as he gets older. I have a feeling that he will always be my "snuggly baby"

Some other info. I am 5'4", average build. DH will not be using it much, as he travels most of the time. Also, I am not opposed to getting 2 different carriers for different uses, if necessary. I would like to get one soon to get me started. I'm tired of the Bjorn!!!

I know that every carrier works differently for different people, all opinions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone,
Gretchen
Lucian 12/18/01
Gabriel 8/22/03

Emmas Mom
05-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm definitely not an expert but I just got the "ultra EZ" carrier from One Step Ahead. It's a hip carrier, which is what I wanted, & can be used for toddlers too (DD is currently 9 months). I'm not sure if that's something you'd be interested in but it was only $25 & got good reviews on the website. I've tried it out a couple times & it's very easy to use, comfortable & folds up VERY compactly. Here's the link:

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=751&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=751&change=117

I was also given some good links to websites that sell other types of carriers. This one www.peppermint.com has types from literally all around the world. It's pretty cool. One of the most popular (from what I've learned) is the 'Ergo'. Another site is www.thebabywearer.com :) Good luck.

kseltmann
05-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Kristine,
How long have you worn your new carrier? I have been looking at the hiphugger and it has gotten mixed reviews. This one seems to fit the bill and is inexpensive! What do you use it for and how do you like it?
Thanks,

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

Emmas Mom
05-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I've only had it a week & so far have used it primarily around the house when she's in one of her "I need Mommy" moods. We're going on two plane trips though (one at the end of this week & one over Memorial Day) & I will be using it quite extensively for both of those. Maybe I should answer after those trips! lol! But so far it has been pretty comfortable & I LOVE how inexpensive & compact it is. I mean, I carry her around on my hip anyway, this way I just have both my hands free. For $25 it's was a hard deal for me to pass up. :)

kseltmann
05-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I am looking for something I can keep in the diaper bag so that when she is cranky I can pick her up but not have to hold her completely. You know? Like pushing the stroller, getting the keys out of my bag...
I just hate the "earthyness" of the slings, they are just too much for me. I guess I have to be bold enough to say, I am looking for convenience (and some relief of the rotator cuff tendonitis and bursitis from DD) but I am not "babywearing". Does that make sense?
Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

Emmas Mom
05-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Oh my gosh, I so totally know what you mean. I just cannot do the slings. Backpacks ok, front carriers ok, hip carrier...now that's me. My aunt gave me a maya wrap & not only did it stain my clothes (though it was a pretty reddish color) but I just couldn't get into the "earthyness" either. To each her own. Not that there aren't some cute slings/wraps out there, I'm more about convenience & simplicity...that's the Ultra EZ for me. :) Oh, & it easily fits into a diaper bag.

I'm not sure this is helping Gretchen out though! ;)

05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input- and I don't mind your discussion!! I actually went to peppermint.com and after some more research ended up ordering the Ergo in black. I think that my lil guy will like riding in back - I hope- and that will free me up to do other things. This will be especially useful when I am playing outside with my 2 year old. I also like that it is easy on/off. I don't think right now a sling or wrap is me, I'm a lil intimidated!! I may possibly venture to an ABC, such as the Kozy. I need something ASAP, though.
I also ordered a tentinytoes pouch in thyme. This also seems easy to use and DS loves me to hold him in hip position. So, I figured this may work really well when I don't necessarily need to get work done, but he just needs held. I think it would also be great to throw in the diaper bag for the mall, etc. or quick errands.
Now, I just can't wait to get them - and hopefully all will work out!!!

Thanks again!
Gretchen

Emmas Mom
05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Good luck with them. Tell me what you think of the Ergo. I was very tempted to get it but wanted something forward facing on the front & I don't think you can do that with those. It might be nice when DD is a little older & I want to carry her around on my back though, cause right now all I can picture is a bunch of drool in my hair if she's on my back! he he he...gotta love teething! :)

05-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Kristine,
I'll let you know how it works - my DS is almost the same age as your DD. I know what you mean about teethihg - 7 teeth in less than 4 weeks - arg! Lots of sleeples nights!
Gretchen

Vajrastorm
05-20-2004, 02:07 AM
We went from using the Bjorn to the Ergo. I have been using the Ergo daily for over a month. It is so much more comfortable than the Bjorn (Aine's close to 21 lbs now). I fnd the Ergo easier than the Bjorn to get on and off. I worried Aine might not like facing in towards me, but she too likes the Ergo.

A friend is using the Sutemi, which is similar to the Ergo but with wider straps that criss-cross.

The Ergo is also "sweeter" than the Bjorn - its like getting a hug all the time. :)

sunriseiz
05-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Kristine,
Please let us know what you think about the Ultra EZ after a little more time. It looks simple, so my question would be about comfort. Does it dig into your shoulder?
TIA!
Sunny
mom to Ellie, 10/28/03

Emmas Mom
05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
I used it over our trip last weekend & to me it wasn't any more uncomfortable than carrying my loaded diaper bag over my shoulder. DD seemed to like it a lot & it's easy to get on & off (i.e. security check points in the airports). The only "negative" I guess is that it would "slip" towards my neck a bit while I was walking around...I had it more centered on my shoulder. But I think most carriers of this type do that & it really didn't bother me. All in all, I think it was worth the price. :)

matthewsmom
05-24-2004, 09:48 PM
I also went from a Bjorn to the Ergo when my DD was about 5 months old. We've been using it since and he's 10 months old now. He loves being in it. We take walks with it and do errands in it. I just vacuumed with him on my back today and he was happy as a chipmunk. It is so easy and really frees up your hands. I found that I liked it better than the hipster ones b/c DD tends to grab things and with him on my hip I can't get as much done. My husband loves the Ergo also.

Carolyn
Mom to Matthew 7/19/03

nicknack
05-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Jumping in to ask a question about the Ergo--you can't wear baby facing out in front, can you?
Thanks!

05-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi Carolyn,
I have used my Ergo about 5 times so far and DS seems very content in it. It is so great to have him on my back and be hands free! I think I may be having some trouble with the fit though. The waistband is pretty uncomfortable for me. I am quite shortwaisted and I just can't seem to get comfy in it. It is more comfortable to wear it lower towards my hips, but then I get quite a bit of lower back pain. In general, I feel like a lot of his weight is on the waistband. I hope this makes sense. I have to say that I did have it on for about 2 hours today and it was a bit better, so maybe I just need to get used to it. Any advice about this would be apprciated. I really want to love it because it is so convenient! I did get on the waiting llist for a Kozy, too. My little guy is such a snuggler I think I'll be holding him for many more months!!
Thanks~

sunriseiz
05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info!

Sunny

Vajrastorm
05-27-2004, 03:19 PM
No. This was a concern of mine at first, as Aine *loved* facing outward and being a part of the action. She does just fine, however, facing me. She is old enough to turn from side to side, and the Ergo allows them enough room to do that.

In fact, we use the Ergo so much I bought a second one for my DH. I hate having to adjust the straps every day, and we usually both wear it. Can you tell Aine is a held baby LOL?

ritacheetah
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Hello, I just thought I'd jump in with my 2 cents about the EZ from One Step Ahead. I got this a few weeks ago because I broke my right wrist and although I can still carry DD with my cast arm (cast is over my elbow), it gets tired after awhile (you use some pretty strange muscles to lift when you can't use your bicep).

This sling is GREAT! It's very easy to get on & off (especially considering my limited movement). It's cotton lined so it's very cool (I live in Florida). It doesn't dig into my shoulder TOO much (DD is only 13.5 lbs.) I could probably add a little more padding and it would be fine. It has a little pocket to fold the sling into and zip up. It also has a little snap for holding a toy or pacifier. I have been using this sling a lot when I need to walk the dog because I have to walk really funny to push a stroller since I can't straighten my arm!

Although I should mention that I am using it on my right side because that is where my cast is and I need my left arm to do stuff. It is made to go on the left side, so if you are a lefty and wear it on the right, the adjustment is on your back, so it takes a little bit of experimentation to get the adjustment right. Or you can get someone to help you.

I love the small size and simple design, and the fact that you can use it until your child is relatively large (like 3 yrs. old, I think?)

The price is great. However, it is a One Step Ahead exclusive, for the amount that that company charges for shipping ($7 on this item), you'd think you'd have the product in a couple days, but it took 9 or 10!

Anyway, that was more like my 20 dollars instead of my 2 cents, but I hope it helps!

Live long and prosper,
Tracy
Mom to Victoria, 12/20/03

DebHgn
06-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Did you really find the Ergo easy to use as a back carrier? THe instructions sound hard!

I agree with the comment on convenience vs. philosophy of babywearing. I have a 3 month old who doesn't want to be parked and a 3 year old who wants to run all over the place. I need to bring along baby easiest way possible, especially loading and unloading. And chopping vegetables w/ baby in back carry position would be nice, too. I am not clever enough for a sling. I've returned 3. Trying pouch. It is easy enough, but no way as secure as a Bjorn!

ALLEYCAT
06-02-2004, 10:45 PM
I just posted my 2 cents in another spot so this may be a repeat but I love my Ergo. I don't have a problem with the adjustments at all and find the waist belt more comfy than the Bjorn. I bought the terra cotta color which is really pretty and I thought was unisex but it has a little band of girlish ribbon. Nothing major but I could not see it in the picture. I would still have bought it if I had seen it but wanted to let you all know in case you were concerned about the girlishness. (I went with terracota because it was the most color coordinated next to black which I thought would be hot.)

zuzu
06-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Leslie,

I'm getting ready to order an Ergo mainly for DH to use, so thanks for the info about the girlish ribbon on the terra cotta. DH will probably be fine with that--he liked that color better than black--but I'll be sure to let him know before I order it.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

matthewsmom
06-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi Leslie,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been checking this site lately. I am also quite short (only 5' tall). I also found that it was more comfortable wearing the waist band on my hip. The thing is, at the ergo baby carrier website, they said that you can have the carrier adjusted. You just have to send your ergo back to them (they will accept the carrier even if you had bought it from someone else). It was pretty cheap. I was going to get it done but I found that I was fine with it lower on my hip instead of my waist. Have you figured out a way to carry your DS on your back on your own yet? I remembered that the direction from ergo was really hard. I couldn't do it and have found a way to do it. So now it literally takes me less than 30 seconds to put him on my back. I found it quite scary to have to flip DS on top of me per the directions. What I do is put the waist belt on my front (as if I was going to carry him in the front). I make the belt quite loose so that I can always turn it to my back. I do this while sitting down. Then I put DS in the carrier (still on my front) with his legs spread. Then I twist him around to my back. That's why I always do this while sitting down. It always work at home on the sofa and whenever I'm out (in the car or the mall). After I twist him around, I then just put on the shoulder straps and then I tighten the waist belt before I get up. It's really simple. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Carolyn

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Carolyn
Mom to Matthew 7/19/03