PDA

View Full Version : Never found a carrier I could use...Please, please, please help!

llcoddington
05-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Well, Lauren is now almost 6 months and I would LOVE to find a carrier/wrap/pouch/sling that I can use! I tried a Bjorn (ugh), Maya adjustable pouch (never could get into this- hurt my back and Lauren cried because she was squished) and Baby Trekker (comfortable but way too bulky).

I am finding that I cook while holding Lauren on my hip and it's hard to slice strawberries with one hand! So, I would like something that frees my hands a bit. Lauren is definitely a stroller kid, so I don't think I would use a carrier much for walking around. Mostly just inside and the occasional trip somewhere.

I should add that I am extremely hot natured so anything really warm won't work for me.

Please, please help me!!!

ETA: I've been looking at the Kozy, but am unsure. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I am 5'7 and slim.

Lana
Mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

toomanystrollers
05-22-2004, 07:08 PM
For occasional use, what about a sling from Jan at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/index.html - I don't have one from her but there's lots of happy customers here :)

There's a 30+ day wait for a Kozy and they're on the pricey side - $60.

mom2zsel
05-22-2004, 09:47 PM
I can only speak from my limited experience, but I totally love my New Native Baby Carrier. I used it with my daughter, now three, well into her first year. I have a newborn who is a sling baby, too! It will immedialtely calm and quiet him! I am 5'7 and slim as well and the medium fits me perfectly. Good luck!

sirensrise
05-23-2004, 09:23 PM
hi, do you prefer something for back carry? i love the ergo. kozy is great too. i can not do chores with a hip carry, so i carry dd on the back most of the time. i am 5'7, about 120 lbs, if we have the same built, you would need a modified ergo, the regular comes with a waist start at 28 inches, the modified one starts at 24 inches. good luck .

sirensrise
05-23-2004, 09:25 PM
i have to say that mine did not fit at all, i am also 5'7". oh well. just my luck:)

ritacheetah
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
I just got an Ultra EZ carrier from One Step Ahead because I broke my wrist and my arm gets very tired carrying my 5 mo. old. I can't bend my arm to strap her into my Snugli, either.

It's really nice, a very simple design, cotton lined so it's not too hot (I live in Florida), and you can use it for a long time. It folds into it's own pouch when not in use and it's only $25 + shipping. I do hate ordering from One Step Ahead because for how much they charge for shipping it seems like you should have your order in a few days but it takes more like 10. In this case it was worth it because I really like this sling. Check it out.

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=751&itemType=PRODUCT&lGen=detail&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=27213&iProductID=751&change=117

The only con is that it is made to hang on your left side so the adjustment is in the front. I broke my right wrist so I use it on the right, but then the adjustment is in the back, so I have to take baby out a couple times the first time I use it to get the adjustment right, or have someone help me.

Good luck!

Live long and prosper,
Tracy
Mom to Victoria, 12/20/03

llcoddington
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
I don't know if I like the back carry; I have only carried Lauren on front. My biggest problem is that most everything hurts after only a few minutes of carrying and Lauren is small! (neck, back, shoulders hurt) Is there a carrier that's better for people with these problems?

I wish baby stores carried all of these babywearing products so I could try them without buying!

I have my name on the Kozy wait list. They look beautiful.

I am 5'7 and weighed 122 before Lauren. I am not sure what I weigh now. I am guessing somewhere in the 120s. My clothes are just starting to fit again! So, how do you get a modified ergo? And, do you think an ergo would be less painful for me. Also, is it comfortable for a front carry. So many questions!

Thanks a bunch!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

llcoddington
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
That looks interesting! Wow, there are SO MANY carriers out there.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

papal
05-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Tracy, the OSA carrier looks really uncomfortable to be honest... with the thin strap and all... how is it working for you?? I am curious.

Chelsey333
05-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I am new to slings, and I bought the New Native Carrier and I love it also. I have only used it twice so far, and my newborn loved it. He slept the entire time I was shopping. I found it very easy to use and comfortable. I am 5'8" and bought the Medium, and it works great for me.

twinmama
05-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Lana, I just found out about www.thebabyhammock.com. It's located in Alexandria, VA and occasionally the owner holds baby wearing classes where you can try out various carriers before buying. I was going to email her and ask her when the next class is, maybe she'd do a class just for the BB DC area parents...

-Lisa