PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a girasol/other wrap carrier w/ a newborn

sadie427
05-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi! My friend has a 5 wk old and was given a Girasol as a gift. It's beautiful, and I was trying to help her figure it out, but we can't figure out the best carry for a newborn. I have a Moby, so I tried to wrap it like I wrap my moby but the Girasol is quite a bit shorter and it wouldn't go around her body twice like my Moby does. We used the instructions that came with it, I don't see exactly that wrap on the Peppermint site but it was something like a wrap carry, and it looked comfortable for the mom but the baby didn't really like being upright. So I guess we want some kind of cradle position, but preferably with fabric over both of mom's shoulders, since she already has a ring sling so the advantage of the Girasol would be the security of two shoulders. Anyone have any luck with the Girasol for a newborn? I didn't get my moby till Sammy was around 6 mo so I don't have much experience with wrap carriers.

kristenk
05-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I found this a link for a newborn wrap cross carry with a girasol. It was on peppermint.com, so you might have already seen this. Just in case you missed it on the website, here's the link:

http://www.peppermint.com/newbornwrapcrosscarry.htm

Kristen
Mommy to Ellie (2/13/04)

lizamann
05-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi Susan,

I didn't get a wrap until Nora was about 3 months old and we did the upright carries by then, so I'm not much help there! I was going to recommend the same peppermint carry as above.

Did she get the Girasol from Carry Me Close? If so, Isabelle sells the ones on the short side, making the wrap cross carries undoable for many people. Your friend could take her class and ask for specific newborn help. Or if it is a Carrymeclose.com Girasol, maybe the owner would be available for a free consultation?

Good luck trying to figure it out!

sadie427
05-23-2004, 12:15 PM
It was a gift, and I believe it may be from Isabelle. She was given a class as well, but isn't taking it till mid June. She did talk to her on the phone and she recommended one particular wrap, but it was one where the baby had to be upright, as far as I could tell. Her baby is one of those who needs to be carried much of the time, so I was trying to help her figure out the Girasol right away, she has a padded ring sling that doesn't leave her arms very free, but she just may have to wait a few weeks. Thanks Beth!

sadie427
05-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks--I did see this, although after I got home from her house. But I'm pretty sure her Girasol is too short for this, as it's similar to the basic way I wrap my Moby, which I tried with her Girasol and it was too short.