PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sling/carrier/pouch to hold a toddler on my hip

Shikimama
06-06-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm now living in Japan and have been away from what's out in the US market. My DD is almost 2 years old (2 wks shy) and weigh only about 24-25 lbs, though she's very tall at about 35 inches. I have a baby bjorn which I haven't used for a long time, and have another carrier which I got from Japan mainly to hold her in my back.

Now when we are out, my dd often wants to get out of her stroller to walk freely a while and then wants me to hold her instead of going back to the stroller. I would love to get a new carrier that is very simple to put on, possibly AFTER picking her up and holding her. I think what I'm looking for is a simple support when I'm holding her on one of my hips, when my hip is between her legs and she's looking half-way outward.

I thought about getting a sling as I still nurse my dd, but I wonder if any sling would lets me hold her looking outward securely?

Here in Japan I often see moms who are carrying their toddler in a carrier that looks like a pouch or a little bag, on their hip, kind of like a Premaxx or HipHugger (which I only saw in pix). I wonder if there is any other kind of carrier in the US market? I would like to know the max availability before choosing one.

TIA
Shiki

emmiem
06-06-2004, 06:52 PM
I bought a hip hugger carrier online and love it. I can actually carry my 3 year old on my hip! www.store.yahoo.com/hiphuggeronline
Michele

Shikimama
06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Dear Michele

Thanks for your info! Hip hugger did look nice and comfortable in the picture I saw. I now think this type of carrier is what I have been looking for, but I want to know other choices before buying this one.

Did you do any research on any other hip carriers before you bought this one? Is this easy to put on? You can have your hands free while wearing it, correct? My dd is 2 yrs old and 24 lbs so she's quite light, but she's very tall. I wonder how your baby is built, for you to feel comfortable using it with your baby.

thanks again,