PDA

View Full Version : New Mom - Bad Back - Large Chest - Any carrier suggestions?

WooChx
06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't know if I should be looking at front or back carriers or even slings. I need a carrier for baby that allows me to walk my 2 dogs 3 times a day and up & down 3 flights of stairs! I'm worried because I have a lot of pain in my back normally due to my size. I've seen the options at BRU but haven't tried anything on because of my pregnant belly. I'm not even convinced that the ones they have will fit me after I've delivered. My husband works 12-15 hours a day so I will be alone alot and need something I can manuever in by myself. Any suggestions?

Saartje
06-13-2004, 07:46 PM
I don't know if there are any back carriers that a newborn can sit in; usually, you have to wait until they can support their own heads to put them on your back.

I think a Hug-a-Bub might be a good choice for you (though the only way to know for sure will be to try it out). I don't have a bad back, but I do have a large chest (much larger, now that I'm breastfeeding), and my Hug-a-Bug is comfortable to wear and doesn't put a lot of extra pressure on my shoulders or back. Being a tie-on carrier, a Hug-a-Bub is pretty much one-size-fits-everyone, so you don't need to worry about whether it would fit you.

I ordered mine at www.cottoncradles.com

Best of luck to you.

ALLEYCAT
06-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I have used a ring sling since ds was about 5 weeks and would have started earlier if I had it available. I still use it several times a day around the house and shopping and to get him to sleep. I use an Ergo the rest of the time I need to do anything like walk for awhile or grocery shop or even sew at the machine or do laundry. I had back surgery and have had alot of pain during pregnancy but IMMEADIATELY after birth, c-section, I felt much better and was up and about. Back pain still there just not paying it as much attention because I now have a baby. I hope you have the same experience! The Ergo is a bit harder to get on the back but you won't have to do that untill baby is older and can hold up head. If you use it for infant be sure to order the infant insert. I got mine from MY FAVORITE BABY CARRIER.

papal
06-14-2004, 08:15 PM
In terms of comfort, you cannot beat a wrap carrier.. a Hug-a-Bub or its poorer cousin, the Moby. The only thing is, it does take a minute or two to put on and if you live someplace that is HOT, then this would just make things warmer.

My second choice would be a ring sling...once again, adjustable for all sizes and comfortable to wear for an hour or two. Of the ones I have tried, i like the Maya wrap the best. The Zolowear ones are pretty comfy too from what I have read.

What would NOT be good for a bad back is a Baby Bjorn type of carrier..the thin straps do not spread the baby's weight as well as a wrap or a sling would.

Hope you find something u like, ask away if you have more questions.