PDA

View Full Version : Need sling/carrier suggestions!

pumpkinandbean
07-08-2004, 12:52 PM
I can not figure out which carrier will work best for me!

So after reading all the posts I am completly confused and overwhelmed at what might work best for me with my 3 week old dd whom I want to wear alot while I am chasing my 20 month old daughter.

I have a baby bjorn (which I actually do like for short term use) and a hotsling. I used the baby bjorn with my first dd when she was an infant but didn't discover the hotsling until she was almost 1 year old! I love the idea of the hotsling (being so small and simple) and do wear it but it seems to hurt my neck after awhile. I also don't like having one shoulder unavailable for use. It makes it harder to do things like put my toddler in/out of the swings at the park. Plus I think I want my newborn more strapped to my body if I bend over.

Plus I am exclusivly breastfeeding so being able to b/f would be a nice bonus while wearing dd but not a requirement.

With all that I am intimidated by both the wraps and the ring slings. They seem complicated and I'm not sure I'd like all that extra fabric.

Oh, also I would like something that is easy to take places (compact if possible) and "throw" on if dd is tired of stroller.

I would love to buy a few different kinds and just try them but I think my husband would have a fit! :)

Thanks for reading all of this and I appreciate any advice! I just keep reading review after review and I am getting no where except more confused!

Editing to add: I just tried the baby bjorn again. The main thing I like about it is that dd feels secure against my body. I don't like that I can't carry her in any other position and that it feels that her face is smushed against my chest (I'm just average build--5'6" tall 140 lbs--3 weeks post partum)

Thanks again!!

Allison
dd 10/30/02
dd 06/14/04

kristine3kids
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
First of all congrats on the new baby! Try checking out www.thebabyWearer.com they have a nice comparison chart for the different styles of slings. Goodluck!!

hudsonam
07-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I just posted that I'm confused too! :-) In my searches, I might suggest to you an Ella Roo wrap or a Hug-a-Bub, which put the weight on both shoulders instead of one. Or, keeping with one shoulder, but maybe more flexible, a KKAFP. Although you can use the Ella Roo over one shoulder too, if you want. They have a wrap and a sling, and I'm specifically talking about the wrap. Peppermint.com carries this one, and a site called Cotton Cradles carries both the HaB and Ella Roo wrap, I think. How about a Kozy? I'm still not 100% sold on these though. I have a bad back, and they don't look real snug to the body, but I'm probably wrong. They seem to be such a hit here. And they are very nice there. I've emailed with them a couple of times. A more structured one might be the Sutemi. Good luck!