PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier for newborn?

shay
07-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello -- I am looking for a sling/pouch for a newborn that I could breastfeed in and pack small enough to fit in a diaper bag. I am going to be a first time mom in September and would love help and advice from moms with real experience!
Thanks!
Shay

quikeye
07-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Congrats on your new soon to be arrival!

The carrier I used right from the start was a pouch; I too was a 1st time mom with ZERO experience w/ babies at all-- I wanted something that had no learning curve and also was super easy (wishing/hoping dh would use it as well!)

I used a mom and me hemp fleece adjustable pouch, which unfortunately aren't being made right now since the owner's son is sick. :( But, others make adjustable pouches-- and depending on where you live, a fleece pouch may not be the best (too warm). It was/is still perfect for me in Berkeley, CA-- kinda cool, no super warm days. Even when the pouch gets warm, I notice its *me* who's warm and not ds-- I end up with a sweaty belly and he's cool... I don't know how that works, but it does!

Cotton pouches will fold smaller than fleece ones will; but the fleece seems to be more comfy (although my chic papoose is comfy and cotton...) I've only bf'd in my Mom and Me hemp pouch, but imagine I could in my KKAFP as well since it's pretty stretchy. I usu. don't bf in them since ds likes to sprawl and wiggle, but I have done it at golden gate park in SF with no one the wiser :) But I do prefer bf'ing out of the carrier as opposed to in. I guess it would also depend on how big your diaper bag is! My backpack will easily hold the MnM, while my tote would (but I couldn't hardly carry anything else in the middle!) I find myself putting my pouches in the stroller basket if I'm not wearing them, b/c I usually have them on anyways and don't really *carry* them around in my diaper bag...

Other adjustable pouch options:
www.kangarookorner.com <-- polarfleece pouches & cotton; some say the cottons aren't as comfy as the fleece, but fleece can warm/thick and may be too big for a diaper bag
www.mayawrap.com <-- uses zippers for their adjustable pouches; cotton

Non-adjustable pouches:
www.hotslings.com <-- heard a lot of good things about them, and relatively inexpensive as well
www.chicpapoose.com <-- i love my CP, but it only comes in 2 sizes

I love my non-adjustable pouch from CP, but if you don't get the sizing right, I hear they can be uncomfy. My *regular* fits me well-- ds went from a 9-17lb baby in the cradle/sleep position to a 20+ chunky monkey who likes to sit buddha-style in the CP with no problem (it was a squeeze there at the end of his cradle phase though!). Just want to let you know that sizing can be a comfort issue; needs to be right otherwise it'll be uncomfy...

I'm also using a kozy now (an "asian baby carrier" = abc), but honestly wouldn't use/recommend it for a babe under 3 months... I know some moms use them younger, but ds was SOO floppy headed til 3-4 months his head would plop over and he'd cry since he couldn't see anymore :) Also, I still can't get ds to sleep in a abc, where he just conked out whenever I put him in the pouch during his 1st 3 months (a lifesaver for a fussy baby!!)

A ring sling might be good as well; they're *infinitely adjustable* (as a lot of posters say, I haven't used a ring sling yet)... but I also wanted a zero-learning curve sling (pouch) and the ring sling's tail is just not my style, but is a great coverup for nursing.

Good luck!!!

kristine3kids
07-13-2004, 02:32 AM
>A ring sling might be good as well; they're *infinitely
>adjustable* (as a lot of posters say, I haven't used a ring
>sling yet)... but I also wanted a zero-learning curve sling
>(pouch) and the ring sling's tail is just not my style, but is
>a great coverup for nursing.

Not trying to promote my own product but you may actually like a hybrid type sling. Depending on the brand they are pretty much throw on like a pouch because of the wide pouch like shoulder and the curve in the seat but has the rings like the ring sling for adjustability. I know of 4 WAHMs that make these off the top of my head... www.thebabyspace.net , www.wisewomansling.com , www.carryingaway.com and www.slingsandmore.com

Each is slightly different so it depends on your style and what things you fine important in a sling. KWIM? Goodluck!

sb1177
07-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Hey Aija,
I didn't know you were in the east bay! I live in Union City, south of Fremont. Maybe we should do a bay area get together. I don't know who else from here.
Shalini

papal
07-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Shay,
here are my recommendations, in order:
1. If you could consider a wrap (it is not so small that you can stuff in a diaper bag), i think that would be the way to go. It is so comfortable and after delivering a baby, you should put as little stress on your back as possible. Also, the baby is nice and snug next to you.
Here is what a wrap looks like.. there are many kinds, i have a Moby and love it:
http://www.effectltd.co.uk/karime

2. I would say the KKACP but it would hot in the summer.. it is definitely a cold-weather pouch since it is made out of fleece.

3. If you are feeling a little bolder, a ring sling like a Maya or Zolo, are great. They have a learning curve but are super once you get a hang of them.

Where are you located? Carriers are such a personal choice.. i would definitely suggest meeting up with someone to try their out to see what you like best. Don't restrict yourself to something that fits only in a diaper bag.. the MOST important thing with a carrier, imo, is YOUR comfort and the baby's comfort.

katenyc
07-15-2004, 04:57 PM
I have a nonadjustable pouch from Mamma's Milk (www.mammasmilk.com)--would recommend a solarveil or single layer pouch with her "protection panel" for nursing. There is about a 10 second learning curve for the pouch--it's great--although I haven't nursed in it yet (there is more of a learning curve for that, I think). I tried once at the pediatrician's office (she was in it) but dd was too impatient and I wound up taking her out and feeding her under a blanket. Definitely practice that part at home! :-)

Kate, mom to Maya 6/18/04

eta: Ok, 4 hours after I wrote this, I had to feed a hungry little baby in the pouch. We were out shopping for tile! And I had to feed her standing up, but it was all good ;-)

heytootsy
07-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I would agree with the others. For a newborn, we loved using a pouch. Another option is a Zolo ring sling.