PDA

View Full Version : What's the best backpack type carrier for a toddler

mommyof5
07-18-2004, 11:15 PM
We want to start doing a bit of light hiking with our kids. I'll probably be carrying the newborn in some type of front carrying holder, but we have no clue as to what is the best thing for hubby to use to carry our chunky 20 month old.
Help please!

Momof3Labs
07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
There truly is no best backpack carrier - a lot of it has to do with your DH's size and shape, and what feels comfortable on him. We have a Tough Traveller Stallion for DH because it was one of the few made for tall men. But we didn't pay $200 - I got it used for about $60 off of eBay!

Karenn
07-19-2004, 01:51 AM
My DH has this one from REI and really likes it. He's 6' tall, average build. [http://tinyurl.com/52wl4]

kitmama
07-19-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm looking into the same thing, only we hope to get back into more serious hiking with ds. Do a search in the carriers forum for "backpack"- you will find lots of threads.

I think we will probably go with a Kelty- I was able to try them out IRL here, and it felt comfortable on me and ds loved it. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like the Macpac would also be a good choice for us- maybe better- but no one near me retails them, and I'm more likely to find a used Kelty around here I think. (I'd like to save a few bucks, too!)

REI retails the Keltys as well as the aforementioned REI carrier, so if you have a store near you it's worth a visit to try them out.

pixelprincess
07-19-2004, 05:51 PM
hi, i was planning on getting a backpack carrier and the one that seems lightweight and easy to use was a Deuter http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Infant%20and%20Child%20Carriers/Deuter%20Kid%20Comfort%20II/Tim%20Coughlin/Field%20Report/

Dh is considerably taller than me, so I don't think this will work as well for him. I also used a friend's REI tagalong carrier that seems more adjustible for different heights, but was heavier too.

good luck.

muszy
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
I'll second the vote for the REI pack. We originally thought we would go with one of the Kelty models. But they were all terribly uncomfortable for DW and me both. The REI fit very well and DS loves it. We spent the extra $20 for the sun/wind/rain shade, and I would highly recommend it.

FWIW, DW and I are both on the short side. She's 5' 2" and I'm 5' 7". We have similar length torsos however.

My best advice is just to go and try some out.