PDA

View Full Version : New to Slinging! Advise me, lead me, show me the way...

lmariana
07-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first time in this forum. I'm thinking about getting a sling to carry Gabe in. I'd probably use it mostly for the airport, weddings, waiting in line for rides at Disney, etc. So it wouldn't get a ton of use (unless we fall in love with it) but it will be worn in hot and humid climates.

Gabe is 11 months old, extremely easy going, weighs 23 pounds and is 32"+ tall. I think he'd do well in a sling because he loves being cradled in my arms and riding on my hip. I've browsed this forum a little and am leaning towards a hot sling because it doesn't involve any adjusting, looks easy to use, looks compact, and isn't ugly. :)

So, any tips, advice, recommendations on getting my first sling? I have a Bjorn from the newborn days that annoyed the crap out of me. I couldn't ever get it adjusted correctly and it killed my back and shoulders...

Thanks!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

papal
07-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Mariana.. since you don't think you will be using it too much, a non-adjustable hotsling with padded rail may be the way to go.. make sure you get the right size.. give Kirsten a call.. measurements are of paramount importance in case of something like a hotsling!

dowlinal
07-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Mariana,
Are you sure you want to start with slings? They are just as addictive as diaper bags. I started with a KKAFP and in 5 months have now acquired a KKACP, MNM, hotsling, rev jan sling, and a solerveil sling. I also have a kozy on the way. (it's brown so I think it will match my dark chocolate fleurville).

Since you want something for hot and humid climates that is also compact I would suggest either the hotsling or a Rev. Jan ring sling. The hotsling is very simple to use and I love it for hip carry. It also takes up minimal space in the diaper bag. The ring sling takes slightly more time to get used to but it's also very compact and I like having the tail to use for extra shade if we get caught in the sun. I also had Jan sew a pocket into the tail which I find very useful for holding my keys or money.

I actually love all of my slings. I keep the hotsling in my bag but if I know in advance that I'm going to be needing a sling I sometimes grab the solerveil bc it blocks the sun or my Rev Jan.

If you have any specific questions let me know

sdbc
07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a hotsling and a KKACP. Both are great. The hotsling folds up really small in the diaper bag, which is nice. I love the KKACP because it's adjustable and since my husband and I are not way off size-wise, we can both wear it by just moving the snaps. Rory is a bit more comfy in the KKACP, but sh'e only 2.5 months, and I think when she's in the hip carry later on, we may like the hotsling better because of the padded leg. I do like the shoulder better on the KKACP better--it's narrower, although you could fold the Hotsling over the shoulder.

cinrein
07-22-2004, 08:44 AM
I think a hotsling is a wise first choice. As Rashmi said, it has to fit correctly or else you will hate it. Do you live near any BBB mammas so that you can try some slings out IRL?

Cindy and Anna February 2003

kitmama
07-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Mariana, I'm going to be buying a hotsling as soon as she opens back up for custom orders. Once I get it I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and show it to you- I live in the Atlanta area, too. (That is, if you can wait that long!) :)

JacksMommy
07-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Great advice from everyone. I just wanted to add that if you are only planning to have one and if you are at all fashion conscious, I'd go with a neutral color that matches most of your clothes. YOu don't want to be trying to match your purple Hawaiian print with every outfit! It seems silly but the sling covers up so much of you that I found myself wishing I had more colors just to be better coordinated (but stuck with my basic black KKAFP and a beige KKACP for summer.

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02