PDA

View Full Version : Do I Want an Ergo?

AvasMama
07-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Please help. I have read everything I can find on this board and on thebabywearer.com site and I am still so confused. I love my Hotslings, but now that Ava is getting bigger, I am looking for something that will be comfortable for longer periods of time.

I want to be able to wear her mainly on the front. Do I want an Ergo? I looked at Sutemis, but I don't love the look. Anything else similar to an Ergo I should look at? I am on the list for a Kozy also -- do I want that? Help me!

Robyn & Ava

Niki_n_Abby
07-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I really love my Ergo. As far as comfort goes, it is really the most comfortable carrier I've worn. I tried a Kozy/Mai Tai style before and it just wasn't for me. To much wrapping and tying. I like that I can click the waist belt on the Ergo, plop my dd in and go. At almost 2 years and about 25 lbs, I can still carry her comfortably either front or back for litteraly hours at a time. She loves to "piggy back" and when she is tired I'll carry her on the front and she'll snuggle down and snooze.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't do a hip carry but my mom is making me a hip hugger style for that to use on quicker trips.

HTH!
Niki

megulis
07-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I am one of those crazy people who think you need both an Ergo and a Kozy. However, if you want one, get the Ergo. It is faster on and off than the Kozy, so you will wear it more. I like it on shopping trips where I am in and out of the store. What happens on these in and out of store trips is even if it is only 10-15 minutes my arms feel like they are going to fall off. No problem! I put on the Ergo.

When my son was younger, I used the Kozy. It snuggles the baby more when they don't have control etc. My son couldn't yet sit on his own, so I liked the Kozy for that. It also feels more streamlined.

Good luck!

puppymom
08-04-2004, 01:54 AM
The Ergo is definitely cuter than the Sutemi, but we get a sutemi because it is more flattering and you can use it onthe hip, plus it is more supportive overall (good for bad backs).

I'd also recommend looking at peppermint.com for more side-by-side comparisons, it's a great site and they have a wonderful return policy (30 days). I actually bought three kinds and tried them all before settling on my Sutemi.

jp96
08-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Do you know if the Ergo is one of those carriers that compresses the spine, like that new article mentioned? It said any carriers where the legs hang like the baby bjorn are bad.

Thanks

Vajrastorm
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
I love my Ergo. So I say yes, you want an Ergo! :P The Kozies are beautiful, but I like the fact that the Ergo is a quick on/off.

jp96
08-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Where is a good place to buy an Ergo?

Niki_n_Abby
08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Nope. The Ergo holds the child in a natural seated position, not hanging by the crotch like a Bjorn. The legs, bum, and back are supported. Now, I know they have a newborn insert for them now, but I don't really think it is appropriate for a newborn even with the insert. For a newborn/young baby, I'd still use a sling. From about 5 months up though, the Ergo is great.

HTH!
Niki

amyff
08-05-2004, 05:08 PM
I just got an Ergo last week off of the Babywearing Swap (Yahoo) and I love it! DD (19 months, 26 pounds) really likes to go for "backpack" hikes but our Kelty was digging into my hips and backside so it was torture for me! The Ergo is so comfy (for both of us)! I would say go for it!

AvasMama
08-05-2004, 10:32 PM
I decided to take the plunge and ordered mine straight from Ergo: www.ergobabycarrier.com. It was $85 shipped. As Amy mentioned, the Babywearing Swap Yahoo! group is also good:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/?yguid=152604832
and so is the selling forum at www.thebabywearer.com. You can often find used ones for less. I was just in a hurry and really wanted a black one.

Thanks for all your responses! I'll let you know how I like it!

Robyn & Ava

amyff
08-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Great choice! I know your Ava will just love the Ergo! It really is so cozy and comfortable!

AvasMama
08-06-2004, 11:12 PM
My Ergo came today! I really like it so far and I think it'll be a great addition to my Hotsling and KKAFP. It seems very comfy for both me and Ava, though it's really hard to get her in a back carry. She got a real kick out of it once I got her on, though!

She really liked the front carry as well, but I read in the brochure that the front carry is recommended for 3-5 months and the back carry for older babies. Is that true? I think I will use the front carry as much as or more than the back carry.

Robyn & Ava

Vajrastorm
08-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Hrm. I haven't looked at the brochure in a while, but I carry my 10 month old in the front carry.

mamaharsh
08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I just used the front carry with my 30+ pound almost three year old this weekend. He loved it and I found it almost as comfortable as wearing him on my back.

Sara, mama to Nate, 10/01