PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the new Baby Bjorn active carrier?

tigalig
08-04-2004, 11:46 PM
I just read the article on why Baby Bjorn-type carriers are not recommended, but I'm still trying to decide what's best for me. The bjorn is the easiest to slip on and off and not looked completely draped. Does anyone have the new active version (with more back support)? Any input will be appreciated.

Ida

puppymom
08-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I had one, ended up returning it because it hurt my back (I wish I was kidding!) on long walks. It's much more supportive than the regular BB, but the lumbar support connects to the shoulder straps in back with a tiny internal plastic clip - ours broke, not through any rough handling either! If you decide to get one I'd just be sure you can return it if it breaks like ours did.

BTW, I found the BB harder to get on and adjust than the carrier we ended up with, the Sutemi. Plus it's a lot better for our DS. The Ergo is a breeze to snap on as well.

NikMPLS
08-05-2004, 10:03 AM
What article are you referring to (that does not recommend using Baby Bjorn-type carriers)? I would like to check it out.

Thanks,

Nikki (due 8-30-04)

bchafin
08-05-2004, 12:30 PM
I have this carrier and haven't had any problems. It does start to hurt my shoulders after a while, but I'm not strong and my son is heavy. My husband has no problems. Actually I consider this as one of my best gadgets. My son was very cranky at first and wanted to be held ALL the time. The only way I could get him to settle was to put him in the Bjorn and dance to the Muppets (lol). That's probably another reason why my shoulders hurt. I never had any back problems.
Hope this helps.

Barb

puppymom
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

DebHgn
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
I don't have the active, but I use the regular (3 years old) one. It is one of my most vital baby products. I'd have paid anything for it, because it is the only carrier that makes me feel the child is bolted right to me. I use lots of other carriers, too, but I'd call BB my must have. I've been going into the water with my 3 year old and my baby in the BB--up to her chin. I can get her into it in about 4 seconds. Only drawback is tripping over my feet, since I can't see them. That's why I've ordered Kozy, have maya pouch, tried back carriers, hip carriers, etc. I returned Sutemi because didn't feel baby secure enough. If I were buying a new BB, I'd buy the active, because it seems to be their new and improved version.

I've been reading the articles re: back problems. I wouldn't leave a baby in anything for very long. But the same article keeps popping up everywhere--I'm not sure physicians as a group are that worried. Again, I wouldn't leave baby in car seat, exersaucer, carrier, or anything for an extended period of time.

Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Laurelsmom2002
08-05-2004, 05:14 PM
What what what- you can take the bjorn into the water??
We loved the BB until dd got too heavy, I'm gonna try a sling for a while to make nursing a infant while chasing a toddler, but was wondering if I was off swim classes for a while, but if you can take the bjorn in the water- hmmm- Dosen't it take forever to dry out and then make it unusable until it does??-

Thanks

DebHgn
08-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Let me reply with the disclaimer that I'm nuts and not to try this at home and I'm sure the manufacturer would advise against it, and I'm not recommending this to others...

Baby Bjorn is washable and doesn't shrink. So figured I could wear it in beach and pool water. Afterward, I wash in machine and put in dryer. The fabric is fading and doesn't look so sharp anymore, but it is 3 years old with heavy use. BB does stay wet for duration at beach, but I figure okay, since keeps baby cooler to avoid overheating. The great thing about the BB is that baby is so tight against me that I don't have to worry about her slipping into an alternate position, where she wouldn't be able to breath. NO othe rcarier seemed as secure. I keep her set as high as possible and don't go in deeper than her neck. I can't actually swim this way, but I can immerse. I carry toddler into water on hip. The water makes everyone lighter and carryable. I wear Tevas so I don't slip or stub foot on rock and get startled and drop everybody. Baby wears full body UV protected swimsuit. This was the only way I could manage beach/pool/playground with 3 year old and infant. Baby seems happy, toddler seems happy, and I get to go in the water...

Not sure it is that safe, but works for me.