PDA

View Full Version : Most back friendly carriers?

trumansmom
08-11-2004, 09:25 PM
I've been using pouches with DD and love how secure they feel, however after about 20 minutes I'm in pain. I've tried ring slings and don't really care for them, so now I need something else. (Of course "need" is relative :) )

I'm a larger woman, and have been hesitant to try a wrap, both because I'm afraid it's going to make me look larger than I am, and because I wasn't sure one would be big enough. I'm about a 2x up top, and XL on bottom. Would a Moby or Hugabub work? Are they easier on the back?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

puppymom
08-13-2004, 01:26 AM
I think you've got the right idea... I don't know about the specific wraps you mentioned, but I do not think they will *accentuate* anything. I know that the Didymos wrap comes in different lengths. I'd compare a few at peppermint.com, they are great with answering questions too and have a 30-day return policy.

You might also look at any carrier that distributes the babyweight to your hips, and distributes it evenly by using both shoulders. The Sutemi is the one I use, and it comes in size Small and Large. The Ergo is another option, but it will look ridiculous on anyone with a large bust (I speak from experience!)

Since your daughter is almost 4M, she will just about be ready for a carrier like the Sutemi. I've had a ton of back problems, and as a well-padded mama I just loved using the Sutemi. Any front-carrying position gets a little hard on the back after your baby gets close to 20lbs; we use our stroller more now, and I'm hoping to use the Sutemi in the backpack position as my DS gets a little taller (so it iwll be more comfy and fun for him).

HTH,
Dawn