PDA

View Full Version : What to wear?

cccat
08-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Hi experienced babywearing moms,

Winter is coming. How do you dress yourself and your baby when you're babywearing in cold weather? Please include info such as the age of your baby and the carrier/position used. TIA for your response.

Momof3Labs
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
I think that a poncho is perfect for babywearing! It even doubles as a breastfeeding coverup. In super-cold weather, I could put on a larger coat and zip it over Colin (as a newborn). Now that he is bigger, we dress separately for winter, and I usually don't use a carrier over my coat - I wait until we get inside.

lizamann
08-23-2004, 02:23 PM
You may not like my answer because I bought dedicated babywearing outerwear! I also rarely drive, so this is from the perspective of a generally carless babywearer. I think I would have a very different system if all my errands were done in a car.

I wore the Japanese Weekend Mamacoat last year when Nora was 6-11 months old (also wore it the previous winter while pregnant). We used tummy to tummy in whatever 2 shouldered carrier I preferred at the moment, usually a wrap or the Kozy type.

This year I plan on the same when I'll need her in front for bus and train transportation, but I have a different system for the back carry, which is my preferred position for walking with my now 21-lb toddler. For back carries I'll use this babywearing poncho that I got in a co-op last spring, with a wrap, Kozy, or Ergo underneath. I don't think there's any way to buy the poncho in North America other than through the coop, which will be doing another one in the fall(if you want info e-mail me.)

http://www.babyidea.fi/aidille/aiska.html

HTH. Let me know if you have any other questions!

cccat
08-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Lori,

Thanks for answering my question. Do you know of any babywearing poncho, other than Aiska, that fits a petite person and is moderately priced and available in the U.S.? My DD is too big to be zipped in a coat this winter.

Cecilia

cccat
08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Beth M.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

>You may not like my answer because I bought dedicated
>babywearing outerwear! I also rarely drive, so this is from
>the perspective of a generally carless babywearer.

Any idea helps. Since DD was born,I'm limited to neighborhood strolling, or driving within 5 miles when DH is not with us. Now I'd really want to venture out via public transportation and bring her to Manhattan by myself. Being wrap challenged, I've just ordered a Mei Tai, hoping that will help me move about with DD more efficiently, in addition to the stroller.

> I think I would have a very different system if all my errands were done in a car.

Can you elaborate on the different system you'll use?

>I wore the Japanese Weekend Mamacoat last year when Nora was
>6-11 months old (also wore it the previous winter while
>pregnant). We used tummy to tummy in whatever 2 shouldered
>carrier I preferred at the moment, usually a wrap or the Kozy
>type. This year I plan on the same when I'll need her in front for
>bus and train transportation,

DD is already a toddler (almost 17 mo., 25 lbs). A Mamacoat will probably only be useful for one winter, correct?...but will I need to carry her next winter?

>¡Kbut I have a different system
>for the back carry, which is my preferred position for walking
>with my now 21-lb toddler. For back carries I'll use this
>babywearing poncho that I got in a co-op last spring, with a
>wrap, Kozy, or Ergo underneath. I don't think there's any way
>to buy the poncho in North America other than through the
>coop, which will be doing another one in the fall(if you want
>info e-mail me.)
>
>http://www.babyidea.fi/aidille/aiska.html
>
>HTH. Let me know if you have any other questions!

The Aiska poncho seems nice but it's expensive. Do you know of a cheaper babywearing poncho? Besides the price, I¡¦m only 5¡¦2¡¨ and Aiska¡¦s size S/M seems to be a bit too big for me anyway.

Cecilia

Momof3Labs
08-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Any poncho would work over a baby in a sling, but I'm not so sure about a toddler. I didn't realize you had a toddler when I replied to your original post. Maybe a long shawl that you could wrap around you and baby? Now that Colin is also a toddler, I just dress us separately for winter, whether he's in the sling or not (keep in mind that toddlers don't stay in the sling - they often want "down" to walk - so your DD will need some kind of winter wear of her own, she can't really just share yours).

lizamann
08-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Cecilia,

If I were running a bunch of short errands in the car, I think I would just pop her in a ring sling or pouch at each destination. I have done this on the few occasions that I have had a car. But if I were going to be somewhere for a while, say at least 20-30 minutes, I would probably use a wrap.

Ooh, venturing into Manhattan sounds like fun! The perfect babywearing opportunity. We were in Manhattan for 4 days last fall and didn't take a stroller with us. But dd was pretty light back then (and still weighs less than 21 lbs.)

I don't know how long the Mamacoat will work. I plan on it working this winter! But by the time she's 2.5 -3, I have no idea if I will still be wearing her under my coat. That sounds tricky, doesn't it?

Kristi at www.gypsymama.com will be selling Malden Mills fleece ponchos, taking pre-orders soon for delivery late September. I haven't even seen a picture of these or know the price, but it's the only other option I know of. I can't wait to see her pics!

Momof3Labs
08-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Any poncho would work over a baby in a sling, but I'm not so sure about a toddler. I didn't realize you had a toddler when I replied to your original post. Maybe a long shawl that you could wrap around you and baby? Now that Colin is also a toddler, I just dress us separately for winter, whether he's in the sling or not (keep in mind that toddlers don't stay in the sling - they often want "down" to walk - so your DD will need some kind of winter wear of her own, she can't really just share yours).

lizamann
08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
I guess it would be tricky if your toddler wanted down a lot. So far I don't let DD have that option when we're out and about. I have a friend (my babywearing role model!) who wore her toddler all last winter under her homemade poncho, and she never let him down while in transit. He just dealt with it, and pretty well, too.

Now if I were going to the park, she obviously needs her own coat when we get there. I guess I would have to figure out a way to wear her over mine then. I think the Ergo or Kozy would do just fine, but I wouldn't want to fuss with a wrap for that.

Now I'm thinking about snow - wouldn't want to strap her to me with shoes full of mucky salt and slush. Maybe we'll stroll to the park on those days, or have her walk all the way.

Momof3Labs
08-25-2004, 06:20 PM
>I guess it would be tricky if your toddler wanted down a lot.
> So far I don't let DD have that option when we're out and
>about.

Give it a little more time - Colin just started wanting down a lot in the past month or two. Nora might be young enough to not be like that yet, but that may change over the winter. It's also probably pretty dependent on the baby's personality.

lily03
08-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Where can you buy the Aiska from, having trouble finding anything searching google?

Ang - mum to Lily 03/09/03

lizamann
08-26-2004, 09:00 PM
I don't think it's available in the states. But I heard a rumor that Mayawrap may start distributing them.

papal
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I have not had time to read the other responses but last winter we put dd in the Moby, forward facing and zipped the coat over her.
Here is a pic to show what i mean. She was about 6 mos. She has not grown that much, so we might do the same again. It also works with the KKAFP.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12056.jpg

sirensrise
08-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Beth
just wondering if the poncho you have is enough for chicago winters? what do you use to cover nora's face? i was in chicago 2 winters ago and that was bad! i would hate to sit at home the whole winter but it seem to be our only option now!

lizamann
08-28-2004, 06:45 PM
I would go insane staying inside all winter. Last year we went out in all but the single-digit wind chill days, of which there weren't very many, thank goodness. I guess I figured that if my face could take it, so could Nora's. But I do remember one day that was about 5 degrees - we tried to go out, went about 20 feet before she started screaming, and turned around fast!

But I didn't have the poncho then. The poncho by itself I would think would work down to maybe 35 degrees, but with a sweater or fleece under it probably in any weather.