PDA

View Full Version : Help, baby doesn't like bjorn!

jennmw
08-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Our son is 5 weeks old and I tried to put him in the bjorn carrier for the first time yesterday and he hated it. I tried it at two different times.

I need an alternative, any ideas? We got it thinking it would be great to use when we go to football games but now obviously not! We have a game to go to next Saturday and now I don't know what we are going to do!

Momof3Labs
08-24-2004, 10:05 PM
A lot of babies don't like the Bjorn - Colin didn't. It is such an uncomfortable position, with all their weight on their hips. You can order a comfy sling from a site like www.kangarookorner.com and receive it by next Saturday, I'd think. Or where do you live? Maybe someone can lend you something - I'd be happy to if you are in the northern 'burbs of Chicago!

firsttimemommy
08-24-2004, 11:05 PM
I had a bjorn and hated it - hurt my back so much. I also have several different slings and pouches and mei tais, and while they are all tons better than the bjorn, I finally found my love in the wrap carriers. Right now I have a Hug a Bub and wear it everyday. I am saving for an ellaroo. They are a little more difficult to learn, but not HARD to do. The Moby is also a stretchy wrap like the Hugabub but less than half the price (although it is a thicker knit - we live in TX so I had to go with the thinnest!!!) With a wrap, you can use it for a long time and in so many different carries!

I ordered my hugabub from www.cottoncradles.com on a Fri night at midnight and had my carrier on MONDAY! She carries the Moby too and has a great return policy.

Ronda
Mommy to 2 sweeties!
Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh

Rikkele
08-25-2004, 12:31 AM
DD also hated her Bjorn. Using a sling since she was 4wk old has been an absolute lifesaver for us!! I would highly recommend some type of sling or pouch depending on the climate you live in or even a wrap like the PP suggested.

lizamann
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
I am a sling addict with the best of them, but I think you can still give your Bjorn a chance since you already have it. Did you try taking a vigorous walk outside? That may settle him right down. My dd wouldn't be happy in any sling unless we went outside for a walk. Also I would only try the facing-in position. Facing out isn't nearly as secure for the baby and may be too stimulating.

If this still doesn't work, then by all means try another carrier! The ones mentioned above are great. I love my wraps!

Vajrastorm
08-25-2004, 01:33 PM
At 5 weeks, my dd hated all carriers. She wanted to be in our arms, period. She's opinionated like that. ;)

We had a little bit of success with slings, but around 2 1/2 months she started to like the Bjorn. It was whenever she was old enough to face out. After that, the Bjorn was great and she refused the slings.

llcoddington
08-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Have you tried walking around after you put him in the Bjorn? This worked for my daughter. She came to love the Bjorn but my back didn't! There are lots of other options out there if you find it's not comfortable for you or if your son doesn't start liking the Bjorn.

I have a Moby wrap and that is much more comfortable with a little baby and much less expensive than a Bjorn. A wrap is not as difficult as it looks. (Believe me! I am very uncoordinated!) Anna at http://www.baby-wearing.com/moby.html has the Moby for $33.75 and I believe that includes shipping. She is great to work with.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

jennmw
08-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone! I've tried twice walking around the house with him in it and he likes at first but then realizes he can't move so much. I've only tried it twice. I'll try to walk with him outside. If still a no then I'm definately going to look at all the options you've mentioned, thanks again!

Laurelsmom2002
08-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Yep dd didn't like the bjorn until about 6 wks and then only for me, a few weeks later dh could wear it and then mil tried it but she didn't like it- dd loved it until she got too big and heavy- that was a sad day for me since i didn't "know" about slings at that time- gonna try a zolo this time until he's ready for the bjorn
HTH

jp96
08-30-2004, 01:24 PM
I really hate the Bjorn since it hurts my back, and so did the slings I tried. We just bought the Snugli brand, bjorn-type carrier at Babies R US and it is more comfortable since it has hip support as well. Good luck!