PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Hip hammock

asha
09-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi Moms,
I recently saw this product from Playtex called Hip hammock at a Toys r us store. Pretty good reviews online on epinions and amazon.
Wondering if anyone here has used this and has any comments about that.
I end up carrying up my son on my hip most of the times and my hand hurts after a while. Hoping this will help.
Also would like to know if the deluxe model is worth the extra 20$.

Info:
http://www.hiphammock.com

Reviews:
http://www.epinions.com/Hip_Hammock

Thanks,
~Asha

Momof3Labs
09-03-2004, 09:39 PM
I tried an original (not Playtex) Hip Hammock and a Walking Rock Farm hip carrier, and hated both of them. The shoulder strap dug horribly into my neck and it was just plain uncomfortable to use for any period of time. I quickly sold each, moved to an adjustable pouch for hip carry, and haven't looked back. Note that other shorter (I am 5'4") people have reported the same experience, but very tall people (upwards of 6') haven't seemed to have the same problems.

ETA: So does this mean that Nancy sold out to Playtex??? There's a little box on the lower lefthand corner of the link that makes me wonder...

sherryh
09-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes, Nancie sold her design to Playtex - hope she made lots of money!

Most people who have trouble with the hip hammock digging in to their neck are not making it tight enough on the waist. The neck strap should not be taking the brunt of the weight of your baby, that's what the waistband is for.

SherryH

alleyoop
09-05-2004, 03:23 PM
We used the original Hip Hammock with our DS and really liked it. It fit both my DH and I, and was comfy! One thing that I really liked about it was the "popability" factor when running errands. Our son is large for his age, and grew out of his infant carrier and the Bjorn by 4 months. I think I was able to use the HH till he was almost a year and over 25lbs before we finally had to buy a stroller.

I don't know if what the PP said is true... but I am 5'8", and my DH is 6'3". I wouldn't advise on deluxe model. These things always seem to work better for us when they are sleeker.

*Pic of DH wearing 8mo DS at beach

Momof3Labs
09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Oh, the waistband was quite tight - I don't know how I could have made it any tighter. And this is a common complaint from shorter people on this board.

lampes
09-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Have you considered a less traditional (ie, something other than a Bjorn like carrier). I think the Hotsling works great for hip carry. I walked through the Mall of America today with my Zolo and my 16 pound baby for 3 hours and was completely comfortable.

asha
09-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I couldnt wait, so I already picked up a hip hammock from target. I have trouble with the neck strap too. Will try to tighten the waist belt. If it does not help, planning to return it. DH is 6'1", he did not have trouble though.

Thanks again,
~Asha

SissyTone
09-08-2004, 07:38 PM
I bought the regular (not deluxe) one at BRU this weekend... I have found that the trick for keeping the shoulder strap from cutting into your neck is to make sure the back part of the shoulder strap is tightened up a lot, so the shoulder padding is shifted back towards your shoulder blade!

janettadine
09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
DH and I have been annoyed at having to readjust the straps on the Bjorn after the other has used it, so I had been thinking about getting a second carrier. The hip hammock sounded like it'd be good to try, and so far I really like it. It's easy to get in and out of, it's easier on my back, and it rolls up nice to stash in the car (or a big diaper bag). DD loves it-- I've carried her around the house and store, and she was quite content. So far (I've had it a week :) ) I like it.

Janet
Kairi, 5/2004

fauve01
09-13-2004, 07:49 PM
is this a hands-free carrier??

Anne

asha
09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Yes this is a hands free carrier.

TeshaH
09-28-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm curious if you ended up keeping the Hip Hammock? I'm looking into purchasing it too. What are your final thoughts on it?

kcampo
10-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I've just read all the posts and am wondering if anyone has used the hip hammock while pregnant? I'm 20 weeks & have a 17 month old 22 lb son and a 37 month old. For weeks I've been trying find a lightweight double stroller as the 2 doubles I own are too heavy or bulky. I saw the add for the hip hammock as well as online reviews and am wondering if this could be a temporary solution and just use my single stroller. I'd rather pay $40 than $200+ for a double stroller. Any thoughts on the hip hammock & pregnancy? I think I might be the guinea pig.

Momof3Labs
10-06-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure how you would get the waist strap tight around you, and that's what holds most of the baby's weight. Does BRU carry this? If so, you could try it and return it if it doesn't work for you.

kcampo
10-08-2004, 02:31 PM
I tried Toys R Us the other day & totally struck out. Babies R Us is a hour away, I'm not sure its worth going all the way out there unless I have to get something else. I'll keep looking. Maybe Target carries it. I have one just a couple of miles away.

I'm wondering if it can be placed lower on the hips, below the baby belly. If I find one in the store I'll definitely give it a shot. DS#2 loves to be held on my hip & this would help me keep my hands free. Even if I only use it a short while now, I'll definitely use it when baby #3 comes.

kcampo
10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
I was at Walmart yesterday and believe it or not I found the hip hammock. It was on the highest shelf in the baby department. Just the week before I was looking all over town & couldn't find one. I think I paid $39.84. I've taken it out of the box & adjusted the straps below my baby belly. I'm planning to try it out at the pumpkin patch today. Hopefully after several hours of wear, I'll either love it or hate it. I'll report back with my findings.

vdrake71
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I just went out and purchased the Hip Hammock at Walmart and I would compare it the the Baby Bjorn. I find it easy to use except where to the strap on my shoulder/neck. I find that I have to adjust it to find the right place. The one that I wanted to mention is that I want my husband to wear it when we are on vacation this week and he told me no because it has the word Playtex on it and he keeps thinking tampons.