PDA

View Full Version : New Native Baby Carrier Nursing? How??

leelee71
09-08-2004, 04:32 AM
Hello.......i just ordered 2 of the Native Baby slings and am a bit stumped on how to BF while wearing one...........looks like "the goods" aren't as private as i'd hoped they would be.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with nursing using the sling? or how they like the sling in general? I specifically bought this thinking i could nurse incognito while shopping.......

lizamann
09-08-2004, 12:24 PM
I think that nursing in a pouch is fairly tricky. I find ring slings, and even wraps easier because they are more adjustable. A pouch is tricky to get snug enough in the right places. How old is your baby? A pouch for me works best when baby is old enough to nurse in a hip carry. But even then, I find it harder to be discreet than one of the other carriers I mentioned.

I have never specifically tried a New Native, so I have no specific experience with that one. Good luck!

hotslings
09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
The only way to do it hands free will be if your pouch holds the baby's head right up at the breast. If the baby is close to being there, you could potentially stick a small blanket in there under the baby to prop him up to the right spot.

If you're not concerned about hands free you can sit down and nurse in your sling easily. Pull down the part of the sling that rests against your body and pull up your shirt. Then use the loose part of the sling that's resting on top of the baby as a cover up.

And ITA with Beth that it gets easier as the babe gets older. Then they can latch on themselves and they'll hold on for dear life - LOL.

scherwood
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
We really love this sling, the best thing we purchased. Our baby goes to sleep almost instantly in it, and stays asleep since the beginning after taking a couple days fussing to get used to it. I can breastfeed in it discreeting, while sitting, in public by placing the baby's head in the side that goes over the shoulder and as the other forum member said lifting your shirt behind. We chose it because it is so light and compact it fits anywhere, and also because it was one piece (I have no patience adjusting knots and straps). Be careful which size you order. The downside to one piece is sizing if you are different height than your spouse or caregiver. We adjusted the size after she was bigger by folding and stitching the seam. The baby is sitting on the hip now, getting a little long for sleeping horizontal at 4 months.