PDA

View Full Version : Answer to Requested Carrier Comparisons

megulis
09-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Can you post a comparison of all your carriers? This is my humble opinion.

I own:
ERGO http://ergobabycarrier.com/
KOZY CARRIER http://www.kozycarrier.com/
MAYA WRAP ADJUSTABLE POUCH http://www.mayawrap.com/p_mwpouch.php
MOM AND ME CREATIONS ADJUSTABLE POUCH
http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/Our_Products.html
NEW NATIVE BABY CARRIER (old version?) http://www.newnativebaby.com/
REV. JAN'S RING SLING http://www.sleepingbaby.net/
HOMEMADE Fleece Pouches
(instructions at http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html or
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/index.html )

I think I like the fleece pouches I made the best with a newborn because it conforms to your shoulder, really cradles the baby well, and the baby doesn't get lost in all the fabric. If you are blessed to have a newborn during the cooler months, a fleece pouch is what I would recommend. It is very easy to learn, and the baby just feels very secure in there. People sometimes don't even know there is a baby in there!

As the baby grows, I would recommend buying a more tested pouch. The Mom and Me Creations is a wonderful pouch although a Kangaroo Korner fleece one is just as good if not better. There is a lot of debate about how one may be warmer than the other. I bought a MnM because I think hemp fleece is cooler than polyester fleece, and I liked the antibacterial properties of the hemp. I do want to warn you that with the MnM you do need to restretch it every time. If that is too much of a hassle and you don't mind the warmth, I would definitely go for the KKAFP although I have not tried it myself.

Now for warmer weather and a child that weighs less than 15 lbs, I would recommend a MayaWrap Adjustable Pouch. The fabric gives which means the weight of the baby gets evenly distributed on your shoulder. If adjustability is not a concern, I would go for a New Native pouch although I have heard raves about Hotsling. (Depending on the fabric, I am sure the Hotslings are probably better even though I haven't tried them out myself.) Just remember to get it fitted right.

I have only had in my position one ring sling. Rev. Jan's Ring Sling is a good bet. I was tempted to buy a Zolo, but for the price couldn't justify it. A fair amount of people have said that Taylor Made Treasures makes a comparable Zolo sling, but for the price Rev. Jan's Ring Sling is the way to go. Therefore, that is what I did. I found her slings to be comfortable, and she was great to work with. I wore it when I knew I was going to breast feed outside the home, but otherwise I prefer pouches over ring slings. Pouches are easier in and out. I don't have to adjust it all the time.

My current favorite is Ergo. I think there is a period where the Kozy is better than the Ergo. The Kozy has more head and back support when the baby hasn't learned how to sit. Some people argue you shouldn't use an Asian Back Carrier until your baby learns how to sit. However, if you do the front carry where the baby is facing towards you, IMHO the baby is fine. When my ds was 2.5 months old, I used the Kozy to go hiking and felt that he was very secure. I couldn't have done that with the Ergo. The Kozy takes more time to put on, is more compact to carry around, and prettier than the Ergo. I found the Ergo was perfect after he could sit up (around 6 months old?)

From what I hear, men prefer Sutemi's look over the Ergo. The Sutemi can be more comfortable but bulkier.

I know someone posted a comparison of one of the other ABC carriers with the Ergo. Can someone repost the link? Thanks.

KANGAROO KORNER http://www.kangarookorner.com/
HOTSLING website?
SUTEMI http://sutemigear.com/
PEPPERMINT.com http://www.peppermint.com/

quikeye
09-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Absolutely!

Mom and Me pouch (pea in a pod) http://www.momandmepouch.com
Chic papoose http://www.chicpapoose.com
KKAFP http://www.kangarookorner.com
Kozy Carrier http://www.kozycarrier.com
(Another ABC as well)

I used my mom and me pouch since DS was born-- at 3 days we went out for our 1st little jaunt in it, and I've loved it since. It's warm enough that I didn't have to bundle him up inside, since he was totally engulfed in the fabric (and fell asleep, so content!) Some moms don't like for babe to be totally inside/swallowed up by the fabric, but I didn't mind at all.

It's foolproof enough that anyone can use it (though I admit I bombarded Jen w/ questions about positioning, etc-- I was worried it wasn't "right" when she reminded me that if DS was happy/content, it was okay :))

I also bought a KKAFP, more out of a reflex than anything (I got a GREAT deal on their overstock page). I ahve used it about four times, I reach for it when I know it's cold outside and like DS ot be super snuggly. I prefer my MnM over the kkafp for a few reasons--
1) Shoulder is thinner on the MnM I don't feel overwhelmed by the carrier,
2) Warmth (I used my MnM during spring/summer in Bay Area of N. Ca, where I have only used my KKAFP during fall/winter-- *I* perceive that the kkafp os cooler, but that's my opinion),
3) Padded rails, that I helped use hold DS' head up during those times he wanted to "sit up" and I used the edge of the pouch to help him (I haven't done hip carry yet)
4) Like the "style" and color combinations of the MnM more-- I like wearing homemade/handmade things, and the KKAFP looks less so than the MnM. I also prefer that the fabric is hemp, since I do prefer supporting that industry.
5) Like the use of a double row of snaps on MnM (as well as I could pick the colors)

It's just personal opinion though, and many have different views than mine. I never had to restretch my MnM-- it would get stretched out after a long walk w. a fat man :) but I took it off & put it in the closet, and it was back to normal when I reached for it again.

My chic papoose is another favorite... It's not adjustable so I was leary of sizing (I'm not small), and I actually bought the wrong size when I was pregnant & exchanged it months later for a better size. (CS @ CP was awesome-- I still can't believe they exchanged it for me after such a long time! It was still new w/ tags, but still, you know!?) :)

I LOVE my CP since it's
1) Lightweight, easy to carry
2) Less fabric/thinner pouch width than MnM and kkafp-- so now that DS wants to sit up, he can really easily without extra fabric (and less fabric is more comfy for me on warmer days)
3) LOVE the print (we have the chuck-- samurai). Kai's my little emporor, my little samurai, my little buddhabear... etc. You get the idea. I always get compliments on the fabric/look of the carrier, it's very unique w/out being busy or over the top. I also like that it sets itself away from a "baby product" by using such stylish fabrics.
4) No stretch. I loved the stretchiness of my MnM when DS was young-- since I didn't have to struggle as hard getting him in/out when I could stretch the pouch. But now that he's older, the lack of stretch in my CP means I don't have to worry about it getting stretched during longer walks, and that he's held up high and tight (like I like him to be) the whole time. I still wear my MnM as well, but with the HOT weather here lately, if it's a pouch it's the CP.

I also own 2 Kozys (one silk, one Kaleidoscope), and Love them!!! Like, REALLY love them. I tried to use an abc when ds was younger than 4 months but I personally didn't like it-- we wore him facing in w/ legs tucked in, and still got wobbly head (even w/ fabric support). I didn't like my ABC's til he was over 4 months & able to hold his head up.

Love the kozy now since it
1) Has 2 shoulder & waist support for DS' weight
2) Feels like nothing when he's on! (Really, last nite we had the stroller & he wanted to be held-- I held him for 3 blocks before having to switch w/ DH-- w/ my kozy we've walked San Francisco for 3+ hours without me getting fatigued!)
3) He is secure-- lately he's a touchy babe who will lean out of my pouch to touch strangers walking by on the street! In the kozy he's secure (but still can have his arms out if he wants)
4) I don't really use my hands to support him @ all in it. I instinctively always have a free hand to rest on DS when I'm wearing him, for my sake-- but I don't do this w/ the kozy. Which is nice, so I can have hands free for other things.
5) We live near Chinatown, and I get stopped by a lot of people there saying that it's like how they were worn as children-- which is important to me! I'm cheesy about it but I like wearing DS as much as possible (as opposed to the stroller), and like to hear a lot of positive comments about this type of carrier
6) I wear him on my back!!! I can actually get him on my back by myself now, and it's liberating! It's one thing to have baby on your chest, you lose such a large range of motion when they're on your front (bagging groceries? bending down to tie shoes...) but on your back-- I felt really liberated! I got to wear ds and also not be overly encumbered!

There is a little more work to wearing an ABC as opposed to a pouch-- tying, etc. I couldn't have used an ABC when my ds was a newborn-- we used the pouch almost as much for consoling a crying baby as much as we did for "just" wearing him, and I know he wouldn't have stood for the time it takes (and baby's cooperation in) getting him in the kozy. But now he's older, it's much easier and he's much more patient w/ me :)

I could never get used to the "look" of a ring sling, too much fabric for me. So many times I've *almost* bought one and didn't-- I also looked @ the ergo/sutemi more for DH than myself (he is in love w/ the coolness of our stroller, and I think he's a little stereotyped against carrying ds...) I like them, but as I said I prefer a less bulky handmade product that is really good looking to a bulkier machine made one. I also am concerned w/ taking my carriers places-- and if I can't put it reasonably within a bag or under my stroller w/out it taking up all of the room, it's not really my type of carrier.

Whew! That took too long! But I love talking about bw'ing as much as I like carrying my son, so... :)

tarahsolazy
09-13-2004, 07:14 PM
OK, I really should be working here, but, I love to "talk" baby carriers. My DS is a chunky monkey, 9lb 11oz at birth, and 22lb 7oz today at his 6 month check up. So, my reviews are about carrying a hefty kid.

I have, or have had:

Slings:
Pouches: Mom and Me; stretch padded Hotsling, Wisewoman Adjustable Pouch
Ring Slings: Rev Jan

Soft carriers:
Kozy, Ergo, Sutemi

Wrap: Moby

I go through phases with which is the most useful at any time

Pouches: Easy, easy, easy to use. Small, fits in diaper bag easily. Great for times when there is a lot of in and out, ie mulitple errands. I used my MnM pouch from birth until 8 weeks, daily, for several hours. I love the coziness, and the comfy shoulder. Mine fits extremely well, so this was a pretty handsfree carrier with my newborn. As it got hotter, it was less practical, and I got the hostsling. This folds up tiny, has very unobtrusive padding for DS's legs in the hip carry. Its shoulder is wider than the MnM, so it can encumber you a bit more. The WiseWoman acutally has rings, but is a pouch, and has a closed tail, so no big hank of fabric hanging around. I love the adjustability of this one. It is the pouch in the diaper bag these days, and my current fave errands sling.

Soft carriers: I currently have a Sutemi and a Kozy. I had an Ergo. The Ergo did not work for me, the sternum strap was never in the right place, and I couldn't use it for a front carry unassisted, I couldn't get that darn sternum strap clipped! I am very short (5'1") and I have heard its not great for smaller folks. I then got a Sutemi, which I really like. Its a bit bulky, and the straps cross in front, so there is a bionic boob effect, but it is very comfy. I can easily do a front carry alone, and am working on getting DS on my back alone. I got a Kozy about a month ago, and I love this for a front carry. DS will nap in it, at least for 30-40 min, which he will no longer do in any other carrier. I am also working on getting him on my back alone. (Well, really, its the getting him down that I'm still leery of).

Recently. I wore the Sutemi and Kozy back to back, each for an hour or so, in the back carry. The wide waistbelt on the Sutemi seemed more comfy? Not sure which I like better. DH will not use one-shoulder carriers, ie slings, or the Kozy (girly fabric) but he will use the Sutemi, so that's why I am keeping both. DH also uses a Tough Traveler frame backpack, and he's a SAHD who takes DS and the doggie on a two hour walk each day.

The Moby wrap was great from 4weeks to 4 months or so, now DS is so heavy it stretches out and needs readjusting. I haven't given up on wraps, but we're on a little haitus, I guess. I think the Moby is an ideal newborn carrier, you can support the entire baby, and it is definately hands free. DS loved it, DH used to use it for hours a day, and DS took all his naps in there.

Wow, quite a novel.

llcoddington
09-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Baby Bjorn- Like many new moms, I started out with a Bjorn! It was lovely for 6 lb. Lauren. Stylish and easy. Not so lovely when 4 lbs. later, my back hurt!

Next, I purchased an adjustable Maya pouch. I didn't like it. I think it was too big and the key to a pouch is that it fits! It hung too low and hurt my back.

I then bought a Baby Trekker. I did not like this one at all. Big, bulky, and not very comfortable. Plus, the royal blue color was just obnoxious.

I broke down and ordered a black ergo. I really, really like it. Wonderful for a back carry. Not so great for a front carry. DH likes it for a back carry too.

Next, I decided to try the pouch thing again and bought a hotsling. Again, I think it was too big. Always hurt my back.

I then ordered a Moby Wrap. I really like the wrap! I wish I had used one when Lauren was little. Now, I don't use it too much but can't wait for baby #2!

So, I found a decently priced KKAFP so bought that. But, this time, it was too small!!! (And, then I officially gave up on pouches!)

I recently ordered a black Sutemi. The brand new version is supposedly less bulky than the previous design. I love it! I often carry Lauren who is now 17 lbs. 8 oz. in the front carry to get her to sleep. The Sutemi is way more comfortable for the front carry than the ergo. I have NO BACK PAIN! I also prefer the flexible waist band on the Sutemi (compared to the stiff waistband of the ergo). And, I like that the Sutemi doesn't dig under my arms like the ergo. BUT, the Sutemi is just no good for me for the back carry, so I really do need both the ergo and Sutemi!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

lampes
09-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I only have 4 but am considering some others

1. Zolo Cotton Sling
2. Hot Sling Pouch with padded rails
3. Home made ABC
4. EllaRoo Wrap.
5. Baby Bjorn

I really resisted the wrap but it is the one that I use the most, particularly around the house and for long walks. With a wrap on, my DD is totally secure on the front (which is her favorite) and she is virtually weightless (at 16 lbs). I like the wrap so much that I am going to buy a couple more.

However, that does not mean that I have given up on my slings/pouches. Yesterday, I took DD to a Bar Luncheon and I carried her in my hotsling pouch (it is black). I had a small black packback and I felt very professional looking with the hotsling.

When I was at the Mall of America over Labor Day weekend, though, I had to nurse DD and so I used my Zolo Sling. I have never gotten the hang of nursing in the Pouch because I feel that she is soo tight in there.

The ABC and Baby Bjorn is relegated to the corner of the closet because the Pouch is way more popable than the Bjorn and if I am going to take the time to use the Bjorn, I would rather use the wrap. Also, I think that the baby is more secure in a wrap on the back than in an ABC.

I will continue to use my pouch/sling but I think the wrap is my favorite, even though the look isn't quite what I wish it where. http://childrensneeds.com/ sells some awesome wraps. I particularly like the Bebina line which looks very hip to me.