PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing a different sling...

fauve01
09-13-2004, 07:41 PM
right now i have one called "sling ease." it has padded edges and rings. i love being able to carry dd (she's so NOT a stroller girl) and have something take the pressure off my arms and back a little, but i think i need a different sling. i'm constantly pulling the strap to try and make it tighter but it won't adjust any more because the edge padding gets in the way and doesn't feel tight enough. I always have a hand on dd when she's in it because she would totally squirm out (she does anyway) or fall on her head. I'm 5'2" and DD is about 17 pounds and i'm guessing 30 inches (and almost walking), if that makes any difference. I love in southern CA so i'd like something not too hot or tons of layers, but we don't go out walking midday, so i don't think i need the solarveil fabric.

when she was newborn, i had a fleece pouch sling and i don't think that type would be good for us now.

ETA: we do the hip carry. haven't tried a back carry, but DD might like that. she didn't really dig dangling in the bjorn, although it was better than the stroller!

what do you guys think would be good for us?? I don't even know how to search. thanks for any suggestions!!

Anne + DD 10-03

Rikkele
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I have been using a ring sling since DD was 4 wks. I love my sling but I know what you mean about the padding on the top rail getting in the way so that you can't get the top rail tightened enough. I have had to do some creative things to get it tighter. I always thought is was because I am small chested and that was space that would normally be taken up by your breasts :)
Anyway, some of the slings that people rave about are the mayawrap sling, hotsling, and zolowear sling.

Some sites to check out for info on slings are:
thebabywearer.com
zolowear.com
hotslings.com
mayawrap.com
cottoncradles.com
sleepingbaby.net
sachicarrier.com

Looks like there is also a coop going on for silk ring slings if you look further up the page but I have not lloked into this yet.
I'm sure some of the experts here will be able to chime in with some more info and personal experience with these slings but hope that gives you a place to start. :)

ETA: You might also be able to find something at a great price at the baby wearing swap group.

fauve01
09-16-2004, 02:20 AM
thanks a bunch, Rikkele! those are some great sites for me to check out. it looks like it will just be trial and error til i figure out what works best for us, eh? I'm not sure i'd want to go with another ring sling, but maybe it's just the one I have that doesn't work well. I'm sort of intrigued by the hip cross carry i saw someone post pics of from the ellaroo site done with a wrap sling, even though maybe it wouldn't be good for us here in SoCal. it seems like it would be so comfy and even distribution of weight. i wish there was a big sling store where we could go try them all out!

btw, i'm LOL about your comment about the space that would normally be taken up by breasts! i'm sadly lacking in that department, so that it a very fitting explanation IMO!

is the babywearing swap group found at the babywearer site?? i haven't looked carefully yet.

Thanks again.

Anne + DD 10-03

edited for spelling

Rikkele
09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
If you like a hip carry you should check out the new mai tai hip carrier at kolamo.homestead.com. There is a recent thread about this new carrier and it looks pretty cool. I also found this old thread while looking for the babywearing swap group for you. It has links to lots of carrier web sites and a link to the swap group which is a yahoo group.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=62&topic_id=5037&mode=full

HTH! THere is so much to chose from and it is so hard without being able to try them out first. Some sites like peppermint.com have a 30 or 90 day money back guarantee so you can return it if you don't like it!
Good luck!

JacksMommy
09-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Another sling that people have been raving about is the kozycarrier, which you can find at www.kozycarrier.com. You might like that it's not a ring sling - I myself have tried a few ring slings and don't love either the look or how they worked. We exclusively use the KKAFP which I love for the hip carry, but you had said you didn't want a fleece pouch. KangarooKorner.com has lots of advice about choosing a sling, so it's another good resource. My recommendation is to check out the sites listed here and by the PP, see what appeals to you, and then do a search on these boards for those slings - there are a ton of reviews here, with people listing what they love about their favorites. That can help to cut down on the risk when you do place an order. I've been eyeing the kozy myself but can't bring myself to spend the $$. Sigh!

HTH,

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02