PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo Korner adjustable cotton pouch

cowboyjunki
09-13-2004, 08:45 PM
I am brand new to the babywearing scene, having just bought a Nojo sling that I am not crazy about. My husband likes it (he is 5'11"), but I think it's a little large for me at 5'2". It causes my shoulder to ache after about 5 minutes of carrying my 4 week old baby around - he weighs approx. 8 lbs.

I am thinking of getting the KK adjustable cotton pouch. I live in Florida, so the AFP is not an option, as I understand that it will be too warm for our climate. Does anyone who is short like me have this, and if so, does it cause shoulder or back pain? I am seriously considering ordering one, but wanted some feedback from some other petite mommys. TIA!

zen_bliss
09-14-2004, 05:51 AM
sorry to hear that! you need a comfortable sling that fits you! the nojo is sort of 'one size fits none well'.

i have the KKACP and it is convenient for quick errands but it is not comfortable for longer jaunts nor for BFing. not because of petite stature, but because it does not have the nice stretch that the KKAFP has, and the snap section is folded in half so it is not spread as well. now, as a toddler i grab it first for quick errands, but i couldn't stand it when she was tiny and preferred a stretchy pouch or ring sling. i do love the KKAFP for cold weather. the mom and me hemp pouch fit the bill best for us with our hot weather (los angeles) but you can only find these used now. it's pretty easy to make a pouch sling (though not adjustable) with this pattern: http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

are you ruling out a ring sling? they are great for adjusting as the baby grows and for privacy when breastfeeding (use the tail tucked over the other shoulder). a lot of mamas here swear by the design of www.zolowear.com an affordable alternative is www.sleepingbaby.net -- there is also a pattern there if you want to make your own. the shoulder pleat is very comfortable. mayawraps are very popular but i found the shoulder excruciating.

best wishes... if you hang out on the board, i bet you end up with a few slings :)

cowboyjunki
09-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the reply! A ring sling would be okay, but I think that's what the Nojo is, and I just worry about shoulder pain. Anyone else have any experience as a short person with a ring sling? Any shoulder pain? how long can you wear it before it becomes uncomfortable? Which do you have? TIA!

nitaghei
09-14-2004, 11:26 AM
All ring slings are not the same. The Nojo has a lousy design, IMO. I'm the same height as you, and I love the ring sling I got from Rev. Jan that Zen_Bliss recommended - www.sleepingbaby.net. The shoulder pleat design is really comfortable. Admittedly, I only used the ring sling when DS was a toddler, but I think it'll be great for a new-born, and I'm keeping it in hopes of #2. BTW, you could ask Jan to make it a little shorter, so the tail doesn't go down to your knees! :)

And, as Zen said, lots of women here swear by the Zolo - but it's beyond my budget. And the Mayawrap has its following too. After seeing a Maya IRL, I prefer my Rev. Jan sling. But really, what sling works best is very idiosyncratic. Though I've yet to hear of a good experience with a Nojo!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Rikkele
09-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi! I am 5'1" and have been using a ring sling since DD was 4 wks. It literally saved me from total insanity as DD cried a lot! The sling was a miracle for us. I am also in Florida and have a sling that is made by a local WAHM here in Orlando. It is VERY comfortable. I can wear it for hours around the mall and never have any discomfort. I agree that the KKAFP is not an option for Florida and have also looked at the KKACP but never did take the plunge so if you do, I would be curious to hear your review. If you are in the Central Florida area I would be happy to let you try out my sling or even give you more info on where you can get one. They cost $38. I can't remember how much the zolo and maya slings are. I have also been looking at slings from sachicarrier.com and am trying to decide what to do. I want something fancier and she has some beautiful silk brocade slings. Am wondering if this will be too hot here also. I definitely want another sling as I have decided we will be slingin' it for a long while. I have two $250 strollers and one is still in the box and the other has been used about 5 times. Stupid me, I should have just saved the money and bought several carriers!
Anyway, don't give up trying to find a comfortable carrier because there are so many options. I really don't think it has anything to do with your height, just poor design as PP's stated. :)

larissal
09-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi,
We lived in Miami, when my DD was born and I absolutely loved my KKACP! It was very comfortable, not too hot and our baby napped in it all the time! I used it from birth till about 5 month of age. I can still do it, but I think Alexis is getting a little too squashed in it. She is a pretty long baby (95% height!). I am 5'3" by the way.